Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default SNES games that have aged well?

We recently played Star Fox and had a great time. We think this game has aged well and still holds up today. What games do you think have aged well for the SNES and still enjoy today?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wow, I don't think SNES Starfox holds up nearly as well as the better 2D games on the system. That game has a nice unique orchestral soundtrack and I always like flat shaded polygons, but it's letterboxed on four sides and runs at a low frame rate.

Pretty much any Nintendo-published title holds up well today though. There's. I thing that equals Super Mario World, Pilotwings, or the first F-Zero. It's amazing to remember that these were launch games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Flojomojo View Post
    Wow, I don't think SNES Starfox holds up nearly as well as the better 2D games on the system. That game has a nice unique orchestral soundtrack and I always like flat shaded polygons, but it's letterboxed on four sides and runs at a low frame rate.

Pretty much any Nintendo-published title holds up well today though. There's. I thing that equals Super Mario World, Pilotwings, or the first F-Zero. It's amazing to remember that these were launch games.
    Launch games usually age well because the focus was to show what the system had to offer for better sales. I understand your Star Fox gripes but I am blinded by nostalgia and they never bother me when I play it.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Too many to name, really. A large majority of SNES games are good and competent. A few favorites:

Earthbound
    Super Metroid
    Super Mario World
    Final Fantasy III
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    The Illusion of Gaia
    Soul Blazer
    Pop'n Twinbee
    Pocky & Rocky
    Super Mario Kart
    F-Zero
    Super Bomberman 2
    NBA Jam
    Gussun Oyoyo
    Super Castlevania IV
    Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
    Magic Sword
    King of Dragons
    TMNT IV: Turtles in Time
    Sunset Riders
    Street Fighter II Turbo
    Super Variable Geo
    Super Nazo Puyo
    Super Mario RPG
    Contra III: The Alien Wars
    Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose
    FIFA International Soccer
    Super Baseball 2020
    Super Baseball Simulator 1.000
    Battle Dodgeball
    Kishin Korinden Oni
    Biker Mice from Mars
    Mario & Wario

I'll stop there, but seriously, too many 16-bit games represent quality design and/or refinement to list all of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You know I don't even need to watch that video to agree. The reason it holds up well is that you can look back upon it as a game of the period, but also because the way they did it had this neat artistic value to the polygonal models and how they clashed with the sprites, mumbling talking heads and text, and the rest. The framerate isn't as terrible as people make it out to be, the ships fly smoothly and the stages don't stutter and sputter, it works. You combine the quality of the varying stages, tight controls, and the very nice sound track and it's a winner.

I can concede though given that polygonal look it could turn some off who would turn their nose to it given being more used to textured polygons and the rest (like Star Fox 2 even has) and later 32bit systems. In that case one would only have to look towards the other 1st party 1st year titles, even the launch trio of Mario, Pilotwings, and F-Zero and they hold up insanely well even being nearly 25 years old. They were made with such love and care, and given the capabilities of the system hardware, they have this level of quality to them that is common place among tablet games, indie productions, and download games even on consoles made now so they don't feel dated in the least bit. SNES lucked into that window where they put so much into the colors (256 on screen of 32K total), transparencies, scaling and rotation, plus the 33khz near CD (44khz) quality audio output with emphasis on music/sfx being sample based it stays relevant with the times.

By the way going by your comments as I had it in the background. % is only based on knocked down targets, you really do need to barrel roll a lot more, and that core, you can go on either side to have it turning towards you as you hit those 3 targets. The 1UP you get from those red/gray/blue gates which all 3 have to be shot, then flown through. And to repair the wings, you need the twin blaster pick up as it's also a repair, and if you had kept the blaster, a 2nd pick up makes the shots round and do heavy damage.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 07-25-2015 at 02:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

What won't age well is cross posting topics at different forums to fish for content for your youtube channel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That's why you don't subscribe and definitely only answer to it here and not on youtube so some credit builds up over it with posts and thumb counts going up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    What won't age well is cross posting topics at different forums to fish for content for your youtube channel.
    , what a lame thing to do!

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Yeah, its pretty obvious who is here to talk about games and who is here to promote their youtube videos.
    KWKBOX should post his videos in the 'videogame demonstration video' thread at the top of the forums like everybody else does. Creating a new topic for every video aint foolin anybody.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Haha, ouch. Yeah I saw his posting of this on another board as well. I don't mind, as people are free to do what they like... hopefully as long as it's tasteful. In this case... meh. I'll reserve judgment for now one way or another.

To answer the question, as I did elsewhere, pretty much most games have aged well on SNES. It's another reason why it's so awesome. The majority of the games hold up as well today as they did 20-25 years ago.

You're much better off asking "what HASN'T aged so well?" because the list would be much shorter.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!