Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Atari 2600 games that have aged well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Some 7800's aren't compatible with all 2600 titles (Although via a multicart like the Cuttle Cart II, that seems to cure it for something like Robot Tank or Supercharger titles).

And the perfect output settings for 7800 titles don't match what 2600 titles need, which can result in low Pokey audio for one issue I recall hearing. Some video modifications actually implement a switch to go between 2600 and 7800 modes as a result.

Not familiar with what Best Electronics does, but there's a lot of fine video modifications for both consoles that will push composite and S-Video out. And I remember a component modification and a new RGB modification for the 2600 was just recently announced, which should be perfect with an old monitor or for pairing up with an XRGB Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I don't agree with how many I saw back west in horrible shape at flea markets and elsewhere. Unless you know how it has been treated, one can only wonder when they look that shabby on the outside.
    If they're operable, all they needed to be is cleaned up. Then, I bet they'd keep on ticking for years to come.

Another thing to their benefit, which absolutely riled up a long departed nut around here when I said it once in a Retron 5 thread, is that an Atari 2600 is actually maintainable. When something goes wrong, even an amateur with some patience and a few basic skills can often revive it. If not, there are other people that can.

When the latest clone goes up, unless perhaps there's a bad solder joint somewhere that's within easy reach to reflow, that's game over.

I've always been mixed on the 2600 as most of the games are just too early so they're ugly as sin, but it's hard to deny the solid game play various games do have for it and sadly can't end up on a flashback due to licensing deals and ownership rights.
    Many 2600 titles are quite beautiful. Pick up Activision Anthology for the PS2 and take a tour of some of its prettiest titles.

Simple doesn't have to mean ugly.

I don't believe though Infogrames owns that aspect of Atari anymore. Some years back stuff went all over, and I recall the name went one way, various games went in a few others between the now WB (dead Midway) among others.
    The French still own everything they acquired, besides Battlezone and one or two other titles that were auctioned off when they briefly considered liquidating their assets. Warner Brothers never owned any assets that trace back to the original Atari Inc. or the subsequent, post split-up Atari Corp.

It's the assets of Atari Games that largely falls under Warner Brothers ownership today. This is the arcade division that stayed with Warner Communications in 1984 after the home division was sold off (Although earlier arcade titles stayed with the home division and went to Jack Tramiel, which is how the French were able to sell Battlezone off). Warner kept the manufacturing facilities for arcade titles, the programmers, the distribution and servicing network, etc.

They proceeded to release many famous titles like Roadblasters and Paperboy, had a home division of their own called Tengen (They couldn't use the Atari name at home), and then sold it in 1996 to Midway where it joined the Williams and Bally Midway coinop libraries. Last title was California Speed before being renamed Midway Games West, and was eventually shuttered completely in 2003.

Warner Brothers now owns most of Midway's IP, although plenty of it went in different directions like Hydro Thunder to Microsoft and NBA Jam to Electronic Arts.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-11-2015 at 10:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hmm then who is the frog that owns the rights to the Atari name and Rollercoaster Tycoon World?
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/28..._7_7_230_150_2

That's the raving greedy tool I was speaking of is named: Frederic Chesnais (just googled around a bit.)

Taken from an atariage.com forum post -->

Well, the worst possible thing that could have happened to the brand has happened:

http://www.4-traders.com/ATARI-21687...unds-16009769/

Curt summed it up nicely on Facebook -

So Atari SA has been taken over by the lowest piece of garbage in the industry - Frederic Chesnais... this is the same two-bit cheapskate swindler who reneg'd on paying the engineering and design costs for the Gene Simmons Axe guitar controller several years back. So now the slime ball has pulled some dirty insider moves with his old pals in France and now Atari stays with the incompetent and arrogant people that dragged it into the gutter in the first place. Atari is dead beyond dead!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, that's the remains of Atari Corp, which was the home division that Warner sold off in 1984 to Jack Tramiel (The console and computer line, along with the rights to Atari Inc's arcade lineup, thanks I imagine to those rights being more useful to Atari Corp than Atari Games).

It went on to release computers like the ST, new gaming hardware like the 7800/Lynx/Jaguar, etc. Off the top of my hand, it was acquired by JTS circa 1996, Hasbro two or three years later, and then the French when Infogrames got their hands on it in the early 2000's. No doubt a gross over simplification of things, but that's the gist of what has transpired since then.

French control didn't start off so bad, with releases like Atari Anthology, the Flashback 2, etc. Now, they're pursuing homosexuals and gambling, per their last press release a while back that discussed their current corporate strategy.

Hopefully the rights to Atari's classic assets find good homes someday, hopefully as a group rather than split up piecemeal (You'll almost never certainly see Battlezone be included again in an Atari collection in the future; Tossing these properties to the winds will just guarantee that it will never see the light of day again).

Their only real value is for rereleases. Too bad it didn't find a home with a company that was content at giving these classics the coverage on modern platforms that they deserve. Instead, everyone and their brother has a strategy for Atari to make it "relevant" again and start it down the path to world domination.

Nobody seems content with a realistic goal that would respect the brand and properly leverage its assets via rereleases and perhaps the occasional tastefully done remake.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-12-2015 at 08:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    This should cover it. I left off games that had much superior ports elsewhere.

Adventures of Tron
    Astroblast
    Atlantis
    Barnstorming
    Beanie Bopper
    Berzerk
    Crystal Castles
    Demon Attack
    Demons to Diamonds
    Dodge ’Em
    Enduro
    Fast Food
    Frogs and Flies
    Frostbite
    Freeway
    Halloween
    Haunted House
    Jawbreaker
    Kaboom!
    Kangaroo
    Keystone Kapers
    Kool-Aid Man
    Megamania
    Midnight Magic
    Missile Command
    No Escape
    Phoenix
    Piece o’ Cake
    Pitfall
    Pitfall II: Lost Caverns
    Planet Patrol
    Plaque Attack
    Pressure Cooker
    Private Eye
    River Raid
    Seaquest
    Secret Quest
    Solar Fox
    Solar Storm
    Solaris
    Space Invaders
    Spider-Man
    Spider Fighter
    Stampede
    Surround
    Towering Inferno
    Turmoil
    Yars’ Revenge
    Some of those Activision games had better versions on the 5200 and C64.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOoFXZKo_xA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MX8h9Keajw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iom6uuAlN04

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    While this may be true, it doesn't negate the fact that the 2600 versions still have legs to stand on on the 2600. let's be honest, there are some games on the beast that haven't exactly aged very gracefully, you know?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T2KFreeker View Post
    While this may be true, it doesn't negate the fact that the 2600 versions still have legs to stand on on the 2600. let's be honest, there are some games on the beast that haven't exactly aged very gracefully, you know?

Believe me, I know that. I dust off my old VCS at least once a year.