Thread: ? for owners of Dragon Quest 6 repro carts

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default ? for owners of Dragon Quest 6 repro carts

So I've been thinking of getting one, but one thing stops me.

Okay, so every time I check the progress of the translation, sites mention a bug where the game will crash/lock up if you check your stats/info. Since this is kinda sorta SOMETHING EVERY DRAGON QUEST PLAYER DOES, I was wondering if this still happens on physical carts, or if it only happens on emulators.

If it still happens on carts, then I'm better off playing the game emulated. If I play it at all.

So, does it happen?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Pretty sure the bug is with the patch itself. It was only 90% finished when the author stopped.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I played through my DQVI repro cart about 2 years ago. I was scared of it crashing but luckily it never did. I checked my stats but it never crashed. IIRC the word on the internet was there was a SPECIFIC way of checking stats that MADE it crash, so whatever it was, I made sure not to recreate those conditions.

But I remember freely checking my stats and it was all fine.

On a side note, it's still playable/beatable even with it only being 90-95% translated. It didn't really affect gameplay. Longest RPG ever for me too... I think it took me nearly 75 hours. It was ridiculously long.
    Last edited by Steven; 08-01-2015 at 12:36 PM.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually JUST played through this game. I hadn't read about the bug prior to playing through it and only managed to get it to trigger one single time. It involved opening up the screen that displayed all characters stats at the same time through the menu and not through a "cure all". That'll make more sense when you actually play the game.

Anyway, this game is definitely the worst Dragon Quest game I've ever played. No sense of direction is usually fine in a DQ game but not when the game involves not one gigantic world, but two that you have to switch between constantly. I had no idea what was going on plotwise for the last 3/4ths of the game and it just drags on and on and on. I never actually finished the game, I just played all the way up until the last boss and I just don't have the motivation to level up the certain classes to get specific skills to make the battle easier. I just don't care. Half of this game could've been cut out and it would've been great. Instead it's long and plodding and it makes no sense. If you haven't played DQV I would suggest playing that over VI any day.

-GoTaS