Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Favorite Gaming Podcast?

There are a lot of different podcasts out there nowadays. Which is your favorite and why? Mine is in the link below.

http://feeds.feedburner.com/VGBSPodcast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Honestly, none. None of those previous generation gaming podcasts, youtube videos, or the rest offer one piece of genuinely interesting or useful information that makes their existence even worth while. I find the whole lot to be an internet based waste of space. People just keep going back over the same games, the same info that has been out there for 10-30 years anyone with 2 brain cells and google could figure out.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Honestly, none. None of those previous generation gaming podcasts, youtube videos, or the rest offer one piece of genuinely interesting or useful information that makes their existence even worth while. I find the whole lot to be an internet based waste of space. People just keep going back over the same games, the same info that has been out there for 10-30 years anyone with 2 brain cells and google could figure out.
    There are a lot of podcasts like you have described that really ruin the idea and image of the entire scene. This podcast covers current events more than just talking about old games and that is why I enjoy it. I understand people can use the internet but having a podcast is great for people to be on the go and just listen to current events that do not have the time to sit on a computer all day.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I agree with Tanooki. None. The same old "hidden gems" aren't hidden anymore. The information is all but useless to me. I get it for a younger generation that hasn't been exposed to these games their whole lives, but for anyone who grew up alongside all of this, we're usually just re-treading old ground. I'm also utterly disinterested in industry news. I'm into games to enjoy playung them, not to dive into Ubisoft's practices, and to make matters worse, I can't even read a simple magazine to find out what games are on the horizon without being bombarded by industry news and current events. I'm not looking for a source on it. I can't avoid it if I want to...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    I agree with Tanooki. None. The same old "hidden gems" aren't hidden anymore. The information is all but useless to me. I get it for a younger generation that hasn't been exposed to these games their whole lives, but for anyone who grew up alongside all of this, we're usually just re-treading old ground. I'm also utterly disinterested in industry news. I'm into games to enjoy playung them, not to dive into Ubisoft's practices, and to make matters worse, I can't even read a simple magazine to find out what games are on the horizon without being bombarded by industry news and current events. I'm not looking for a source on it. I can't avoid it if I want to...
    I agree. That is why I listen to current events but not the ones you speak of. The podcast I listen to pertains to Homebrews, Indy Games, Kickstarters and more obscure news not just a shoveling about big companies decisions and their opinion on it. You guys must of listened to some pretty bad podcasts to have such a negative perspective on them. It is no different then television. I like maybe 1 or 2 shows on FOX but that does not mean the entire channel is garbage. Now TBS on the other hand...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There are lots of podcasts that I like for modern gaming, but I haven't really found any retro gaming podcasts that really speak to me.

I do like some of the episodes of Retronauts. Some of the episodes are really fascinating, but some of the episodes are quite lame, so it can be a real roll of the dice.

For modern gaming, I really like Giant Bomb, Player 1 Podcast (slight retro discussion sometimes), 8-4 Play (when Gaming Jesus is hosting), Kinda Funny Gamescast and DLC (with Jeff Cannata)

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KWKBOX View Post
    I agree. That is why I listen to current events but not the ones you speak of. The podcast I listen to pertains to Homebrews, Indy Games, Kickstarters and more obscure news not just a shoveling about big companies decisions and their opinion on it. You guys must of listened to some pretty bad podcasts to have such a negative perspective on them. It is no different then television. I like maybe 1 or 2 shows on FOX but that does not mean the entire channel is garbage. Now TBS on the other hand...
    Don't care for podcasts on that subject. Any subject, really. The content is my biggest gripe, but really, it's more that it isn't a faster way to get that info. 10 minutes of reading will get me through 4 hours of podcast. The entertainment aspect is filler, and is rarely actually entertaining. I don't like to be as negative as I've been in these topics regarding videos and podcasts, but I believe that they are oversaturated in existence, overlapping too heavily in content, and largely devoid of engaging personality, as in order to be different from the copy/pasted news they report, they have to inject a sizable dose of hyperbolic opinion. It's like listening to a series of the worst, slapped together documentaries designed to make living off of hobbyists who have a tough time finding conversation about their interests in day to day life. I know that's a generalization, but enough attempts at enjoying these things has led me to this opinion. Sorry to be so negative on the subject.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    I agree with Tanooki. None.
    Seconded. I own a camera but it doesn't make me a photographer, I own MS Word but that doesn't make me an author. Way too many people assume since they own either a microphone or webcam and have an opinion they're the gaming media equivalent of the next Paul Harvey or Howard Stern. Just because you have the ability to create something doesn't mean anyone should give a shit.

Retronauts is the only podcast I've ever found even remotely entertaining and even then sometimes I'm left scratching my head. They'll treat certain topics like they're bipolar; something that's popular in Japan but bombed or never released in the west (Wonderswan, NGPC, TG-16) is treated with the utmost respect but other things like the SMS is an hour of dead air since nobody on the show owned one.

Retroforce Go felt like I was eavesdropping in a college dorm room of annoying people that may have played a SNES once. What time wasn't spent making stupid in-jokes and "funny" voices was the equivalent of dead air. "Hmmm..... I can't remember that, I never played that, I have no idea what you're talking about" etc. The one Segafans episode I listened to was enough. You'd think if you're recording an hour about one particular game or series the participants would have a passing familiarity with it or at least tried a few out on an emulator before sitting down to record.

Seems like every podcast (and most Youtube videos) consist of annoying or bland personalities with horrible speaking voices, nothing to actually say, and contributing absolutely nothing to my appreciation or understanding of a topic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

One of the problems with a lot of podcasts is that the people doing them are not performers. Listen to a standup comedian's podcast to hear somebody who speaks in front of crowds for a living and can make statements without saying "uhhh" a thousand times.

The last audio show I used to listen to was Retro Gaming Radio, before he decided to give it up. They were great for long distance drives, considering each show would be two or three hours long. Nowadays I don't want to listen to a retro game podcast because I usually know more about the subject than the hosts do, and I don't think Nintendo is the greatest company in the universe and don't give a damn about Japanese RPGs. I want a podcast with an intelligent speaker who talks about pre-NES era console games, arcade games and computers. And that doesn't seem to exist out there, just rambling 20-and-30-somethings who jerk off over Nintendo's output for 45 minutes.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    Retroforce Go felt like I was eavesdropping in a college dorm room of annoying people that may have played a SNES once. What time wasn't spent making stupid in-jokes and "funny" voices was the equivalent of dead air. "Hmmm..... I can't remember that, I never played that, I have no idea what you're talking about" etc. The one Segafans episode I listened to was enough. You'd think if you're recording an hour about one particular game or series the participants would have a passing familiarity with it or at least tried a few out on an emulator before sitting down to record.
    Sounds like you'd enjoy GC9X then, unsexxxy voices aside.