Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Pat and Ian's podcast comes off to me as two enourmously pious, hypocritical, two-faced whiners discussing clickbait material and pandering to the lowest common denominator collector fanbase.

Ian constantly throws in these incredibly lame and out of place "whoa look at me drug use is cool and I advocate it" comments that people should have outgrown by the time they're 14 years old, along with snide or not-so-subtile political comments that have absolutely no place in a video game podcast. Pat constantly throws out ill-informed info (with Ian constantly correcting him) and their constant rallying against certain topics is completely stupid.

Both rally against people with large collections that don't actively play their collections, all while doing this in front of a massive shelf of hundreds of NES games (that I'm so sure they play on an hourly basis). Ian subscribes to this weird crackpot theory that sought after NES games are high priced due only to people buying them who have no intention of playing them, and a "true" appreciating gamer would buy it, play it, then sell it back (to the store he works at, no less) so others could enjoy it and somehow keep the prices lower.

Flash carts are constantly advocated as these wonderful shotgun solutions to everything yet people who make bootlegs (even when plainly marked as such) deserve death. After all, flash cart useage for high dollar commercial carts is legal, right? And *nobody* makes money when flash carts are sold, right?

They rally against something as small as reproduction label makers, constantly tossing the term "illegal" around, yet hardly an episode goes by they're not advocating illegal ROM useage with flash carts. They constantly cry about pirated carts but are always sure to mention the eBay seller ID, Alibaba storefront link, or seller forum name providing a huge audience of buyers they wouldn't have had normally, so all these herp derp mouthbreathers who can't distinguish even the most obvious fakes can run as fast as their browsers can take them to place an order.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    Flash carts are constantly advocated as these wonderful shotgun solutions to everything yet people who make bootlegs (even when plainly marked as such) deserve death. After all, flash cart useage for high dollar commercial carts is legal, right? And *nobody* makes money when flash carts are sold, right?

They rally against something as small as reproduction label makers, constantly tossing the term "illegal" around, yet hardly an episode goes by they're not advocating illegal ROM useage with flash carts. They constantly cry about pirated carts but are always sure to mention the eBay seller ID, Alibaba storefront link, or seller forum name providing a huge audience of buyers they wouldn't have had normally, so all these herp derp mouthbreathers who can't distinguish even the most obvious fakes can run as fast as their browsers can take them to place an order.
    Flash carts are great because they enable people to enjoy classic roms on the original hardware. No money is being exchanged for roms when you can download them yourself. I just think its a scumbag thing to do, selling roms on bootleg carts when the roms have been freely available for over 10 years now. THAT is stealing and further more it takes advantages of noobs who want to play games like Sweet Home. People should be able to enjoy the older classic games without paying, and when you buy bootlegs/repros you are paying someone who has no right to sell them. You can argue to legality of downloading roms but really thats it, because whats your other option, paying 900$ for a loose little samson copy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    Pat and Ian's podcast comes off to me as two enourmously pious, hypocritical, two-faced whiners discussing clickbait material and pandering to the lowest common denominator collector fanbase.

Ian constantly throws in these incredibly lame and out of place "whoa look at me drug use is cool and I advocate it" comments that people should have outgrown by the time they're 14 years old, along with snide or not-so-subtile political comments that have absolutely no place in a video game podcast. Pat constantly throws out ill-informed info (with Ian constantly correcting him) and their constant rallying against certain topics is completely stupid.

Both rally against people with large collections that don't actively play their collections, all while doing this in front of a massive shelf of hundreds of NES games (that I'm so sure they play on an hourly basis). Ian subscribes to this weird crackpot theory that sought after NES games are high priced due only to people buying them who have no intention of playing them, and a "true" appreciating gamer would buy it, play it, then sell it back (to the store he works at, no less) so others could enjoy it and somehow keep the prices lower.

I agree with almost everything you said, but I definitely find their podcast to be pretty entertaining. Pat and Ian have a very good dynamic in a lot of ways. Their personalities are different, and they often have completely opposite perspectives on a topic. They seem to have differing investments in gaming as well, with Pat being more of a collector and someone who is into the collecting scene, and Ian as less of a collector and more of someone who just has a strong enthusiasm for playing the games(though I'm sure Pat shares that enthusiasm). Pat is also sort of a celebrity personality, while Ian is just some belligerent dude who works at a game store, which I think helps the dynamic.

And about the "flash carts vs repros" thing, I think their stance is more that repros themselves don't make much sense from either a collecting or a gaming standpoint, and that repros that cannibalize a game are bad. Maybe that wasn't their stance in the past, but that seems to be it now.
    Last edited by Kwyjibo; 05-09-2016 at 03:31 AM.

Cherry (Level 1) CastlevaniaDude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No love for the Completely Unnecessary Podcast w/ Pat Contri?

I know it's not 100% gaming-based, but for retro stuff, they do a good job for someone like me who doesn't live on the forums catching up on the news and what's going on.
    Adult Podcast for Kids
    Weekly geek podcast. Everything from movies to tv, comics to video games, pro wrestling, entertainment, and beyond, with a decidedly adult slant.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I am with Tanooki on this one. None of them are telling me anything new, interesting, or valuable.

Here are some topics that would be useful and interesting to a retro-gamer, at least in my view:
    • There are all sorts of new retro products coming out - sweatshirts, t-shirts, fridge magnets, board games, whatever - you name it. Which ones are garbage, and which ones are worth my time?
    • Which modern indie games are high-quality, and which ones have that retro feel? Which games might be good for people who liked retro-game X? E.g., Stardew Valley might appeal to those who liked Harvest Moon.
    • Where are some good books, magazines, newspaper adverts, from the classic era that relate to the topic of retro-gaming? Or, which modern books on the "history of games" are worth reading?

Tell me something new and help me focus my time and money on things that are worthwhile. Otherwise, it's not worth my time, effort, or energy - I'll just listen to music.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    The DudeGuyMan

Wow, it seems like there's a lot of cynicism in this thread. I quite like a number of retrogaming podcasts. I actively listen to Sega Does, Genesis Gems, the RF Generation Collectorcast, and sometimes the Master System Masterpieces. Sure, I've been in the scene long enough to know about most games, but I always find it interesting listening to perspectives of others who have played the games, or for some who are discovering it for the first time.
    Twitter Facebook YouTube Tumblr My personal blog
    Game Boy Guru project - I'm attempting to collect, play, & review every North American Game Boy release!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Retro & Modern Gaming Podcast

On HoldSquare Reapers Videogame Podcast, we talk retro and modern games. I hope many of you will check it out--I think it's a lot of fun. Thanks for watching!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA0...OOl5xxi3hcFBtQ

Insert Coin (Level 0) stlgamer75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Big fan of Retro Game Squad podcast even though it's coming to an end after 4 years this Sept. Lots of back log information. I'll listen while going for a run or mowing the lawn.

Not technically a podcast but Classic Gaming Quarterly youtube channel is informative and entertaining as well.
    Check out my retro gaming blog - Cartridge Corner
    http://stlgamer75.wordpress.com

Console of the Month: PlayStation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Honestly I don't get the allure of gaming podcasts especially these "game-by-game" podcasts. I tried listening to podcasts over several months last year and I just wasn't getting anything out of it. In some instances, there were facts about a game I thought the hosts would be aware of and mention but nada.

I don't understand how anyone has the time to be listening to all these podcasts either. The only time I have is on the commute back and forth to work and maybe at my son's soccer game. Even then, I'd rather listen to music. Podcasts seem to demand a lot of time of which I'm not willing to commit to.
    VectorGamer.com
    YouTube: TheRetrocade
    @RealVectorGamer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I have a recommendation, this podcast is called SCORE VG and as the name suggests, its about video game music, but the core of the podcast is the discussion around the game that was referenced. Anecdotes and technical data is discussed and among the persons that are doing the podcast are very well documented, two programmers that are into the development scene:

Artemio Urbina, developer of the 240p suite and several other projects like the translation patch of Policenauts and a new method to revive suicide capcom arcade PCBs.

Rolando Cedillo that worked with Nintendo in México developing games for different consoles and huge fan of Tekken.

There are many other guys invited to the podcast and everyone of them is a huge fan of video games in general. The intro was composed by Akira Yamaoka and one of the regular members of the show is PunisherIV that is the CEO of Mariachi Games and creator of VCON, a series of concerts of video game music that had great musicians on its roster, like Akira Yamaoka, Michiru Yamane, etc.

The only problem is that the podcast is in spanish ... this is the link to the soundcloud website: soundcloud.com/scorevg
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Giant Bombcast, Giant Beastcast, 8-4 Play, and Retronauts are the only gaming podcasts I listen to these days. I really miss Weekend Confirmed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stlgamer75 View Post
    Big fan of Retro Game Squad podcast even though it's coming to an end after 4 years this Sept. Lots of back log information. I'll listen while going for a run or mowing the lawn.

Not technically a podcast but Classic Gaming Quarterly youtube channel is informative and entertaining as well.
    I been listening to the retro game squad recently.So far what i've been listening to is damn good.It's a shame though.Since by the fall it will end man really good podcast on video games,rare thing as of late.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 07-14-2016 at 09:22 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I never really got into podcasts. The few I tried, back when podcasts were new, where filled with so much cross chatter that it was hard to listen too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dig http://spritecastle.com/ (C64 games) and http://podcast.robohara.com/cactus-flacks-episode-list/ (Chronicles how Rob got his Arcade games, memories and the games themselves)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    One of the problems with a lot of podcasts is that the people doing them are not performers. Listen to a standup comedian's podcast to hear somebody who speaks in front of crowds for a living and can make statements without saying "uhhh" a thousand times.
    You should NEVER listen to The Wrecking Crew Comedy Podcast with Vito D'Amico. He's a comedian and ALL HE DOES on this podcast is say "UHHHH" for an hour and a half every episode.