Thread: What are/were some of the crappiest Limited/Special Edition game releases?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Question What are/were some of the crappiest Limited/Special Edition game releases?

What are some games that had a Special Edition or Limited Edition release that was either really weak, not worth the extra money, worse than the standard release, or special or limited in title only?

For example, I remember a version of Viva Piņata that had a really cheap case made from that really cheapo dollar store Halloween mask plastic. Honestly, I'd rather just have the normal case.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Adventure Time: Explore The Dungeon for 3ds. Don't even remember what it came with but it didn't need the extras because the game itself was absolute garbage. One Piece: Romance Dawn didn't come with anything but a lenticular cover and a game that was poop as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The yet to be released Star Wars: Battlefront Deluxe Edition. For an extra $10 over the regular game price you get a mere 5 downloadable items: the DL-44 blaster, an ion grenade, the ion torpedo, the ion shock emote and the victory emote. That's it. Those should have either been free day one downloads or already put into the game. If you are getting Star Wars: Battlefront this November do yourself a favor and get the regular edition.

And also read this
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Macross M3 for Dreamcast jumps to mind. It just had an extra oversizee box that only held the regular edition jewel case and a laminated, serial numbered collector's card.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    What are some games that had a Special Edition or Limited Edition release that was either really weak, not worth the extra money, worse than the standard release, or special or limited in title only?

For example, I remember a version of Viva Piņata that had a really cheap case made from that really cheapo dollar store Halloween mask plastic. Honestly, I'd rather just have the normal case.
    I remember Blaz Blue: Calamity trigger being pretty bad. They basically released the normal game with the soundtrack and a video dvd that was a combo tutorial with stuff you can find on youtube. I'm sure it's not the worst limited edition ever, but it definately wasn't worth the $30 extra.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Final Fantasy XII Steelbook Collector's Edition. Subjective, but it was kinda ugly to look at, at least compared to the regular edition artwork. Inside, removing the discs from the overly stiff spindles took the might of Thor. Maybe you get the game out, maybe the disc breaks in half. It came with a bonus 'making of' disc, and at least one video short was linked incorrectly, therefore not all content is actually viewable.
    Last edited by SpaceHarrier; 08-16-2015 at 10:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Uncharted 3 had one of the better ones for a mix of presentation and usable junk. Showpiece wise you have the tall Nathan statue, the brown steelbook with his ring on it, and then the hardback quality book cover type cardboard/pressboard type material body to that very detailed cabinet with 2 pull out drawers on it for the other extras. And those would be the usable, a nice replica Nathan ring on a leather necklace meant for adult sizes, and along those lines his lucky horseshoe belt buckle that's durable enough to wear too. When Street Fighter IV came out they had those boxes with the fighter action figure and some fluff, nothing much, kind of like how they did it with God of War but at least you got that badass looking reusable pandora's box.

On the lighter side, unless you're really in love with art books and very partial sound tracks SquareEnix did this with both Bravely Default and lately with FF Type0 (and it got a pre-story manga too and art book.)

Love or hate it, but Call of Duty used to go in for all the added effort when they did those legit night vision goggles and also the remote controlled car thing too.

I think the SE stuff was weak, much like the stuff Atlus does with the added cardboard slip cover so they can slide in a very small art foldout/booklet along with a basic audio cd track selection for various 3DS games (but at least they do it and usually don't charge extra too so you can't complain.) They did it on DS too as I had the beautiful soundtrack to Ys Book1+2 when I had that one.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Anything that gets too "creative" and "quirky" with the bonus items. AKA stuff that lives in my closet forevermore. I know a lot of people complain about them, but personally I enjoy and will get at least some use out of art books and soundtracks. I've been tempted on multiple occasions to bite on Sorcery Saga for Vita when I see the LE marked down cheap, and while I'm a huge sucker for limited editions, I just keep talking myself out of it because its extras would literally just consume space in my house. It comes with a mini bib, plate, and spoon. Yes, it's a cute concept, but no thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I kind of regret them other than the Uncharted 3 one which I kept around. Bravely Default I still have, and the box stays put away in a storage box/ottoman I have. I never messed with the disc or any of it, but I did thumb through the nice art in the box. It didn't cost me more than the standard release so I didn't care.

You know technically in a way I'd think back on the SNES when they released the Super Gameboy that could have been considered an early release special edition before they made those as it was a big cardboard box like Earthbound and Mario Paint, but it also came with that Nintendo Power Super Gameboy Guide which after a short while they discontinued for just a small box version and sold/gave away with NP sub the guide. That one was fairly practical given the info in it. I never bought it because god of war games are so short, but that one with pandora's box I mentioned, I'd use that box definitely for storage on display had I got it as that's useful.

I tend to like the stuff just with audio cds, when it's the full score of the game, like Atlus does. I have no idea why those tards at SE put like 6 tracks out of 30+ on a disc like that's special, it's not, and it's just annoying.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jade Empire: Limited Edition, from the original Xbox.
    A limited edition of Jade Empire was available for those who pre-ordered the game, except in Canada where all copies were limited editions. Eventually, the limited editions appeared on all store shelves. The limited edition version has different box art than the original. It has a red, reflective background instead of sky blue, and the words "Limited Edition" are printed below the name. This version of Jade Empire was packed with an extra disc that contained the data for the character model Monk Zeng, a magic type character; a "making of" video by G4; and three game demos: Forza Motorsport, Conker Live & Reloaded, and MechAssault 2: Lone Wolf.
    -- Wikipedia

It also had an extra weapon, which was not included in the superior WindowsPC version. Woo-hoo, extra "hoo".
    I hate it when people write their initials on a game cart's label. Can't get it off without ruining part of the label!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All in all I don't mind limited editions once I catch them on sale. But I too have space concerns so those huge box one's like Skyrim and Crysis 2 are a no-go for me. I have the Halo Reach Legendary edition and it's awesome but it's very big. I'm glad the limited edition for Halo 4 was much smaller.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Call of Duty 2: Big Red One Collector's Edition
    The single game disc included these extra's:
    Interviews
    Behind the scenes with Treyarch
    Concept and production art gallery

Sheeesh!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Far Cry 4 Limited Edition and One Piece Unlimited World Red Day One Edition.

Other than Key's to Kyraat to let your friends play two hours of Far Cry 4, which is long since expired, there's nothing limited about this edition, especially when I got it over eight months after the original release. The same can be said of One Piece Unlimited World Red's Day One Edition, except the One Piece limited edition doesn't give you any extra content and the game itself, other than very nice looking graphically and has a lot of great underboob Nami shots, is one of the worst games I've played in awhile.

But yeah. Not very limited when you can still get them a year later. Devil Summoner Raidou Kuzunoha 2 was another one that you could buy new years after release(they were practically giving them away,) but atleast that came in a numbered box with a Jack Raidou plush.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Practically every limited edition I own was bought a year or more past release on markdown. Very few US limited editions are all that "limited". I find Japanese limited editions are more often pretty tricky and/or expensive to get if you don't preorder before release (and do so before a store hits the maximum they can allow to be preordered).

Insert Coin (Level 0) chronic_archaic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Perfect Dark Zero

Okay, it's actually kinda neat. The steelbook is nice. I just don't really like the game much