Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ace Attorney 6 Announced for "The West"

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Ace Attorney 6 Announced for "The West"

The next issue of Famitsu has announced a new game in the Ace Attorney series for 2016, and Capcom USA has confirmed it will be localized.

The Famitsu teaser has announced Gyakuten Saiban 6 will be playable at Tokyo Game Show this month, and teases an upcoming six page interview. The game will be handled by the same producer and director who helmed Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Dual Destinies in 2013.

Speaking with Shacknews, Capcom has issued a statement confirming the new title will release in all territories: "Ace Attorney 6 (working title) will be coming to the west. We’ll have more information on the Western release soon."
    Source: https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/...tion-confirmed

We're learning more information regarding Ace Attorney 6. Siliconera translated scans of the Famitsu magazine and reveals the game will take place in a mysterious country outside of Japan, which is a first time for the main-numbered series. While he's traveling outside of the country, he finds himself involved in a case in an area where the people have a belief in the supernatural.

The courtrooms in the game will use some kind of "Water Mirror" that's located on the ground, which will be used as part of its gameplay. The upper portion of the screen will have images and keywords on the water, while the lower portion has parts of the testimony and an option to present.
    Source: http://www.shacknews.com/article/910...estern-release

The takeaways from this for North America:
    • We probably aren't getting the most recently released title, The Great Ace Attorney, A.K.A. Dai Gyakuten Saiban, as Capcom of America has skipped directly over that one to announce this one.
    • Ace Attorney 6 will likely release here in 2016 if Japan gets this game in the first few months of 2016; otherwise we'll get it in 2017.
    • We will probably only have *sigh* digital downloads as an option for this game just like with AA5.
    • Ace Attorney 6 will likely sell for $30 just like AA5 did.
    • Ace Attorney 6 will probably have an "extra episode" cut out from the main game and sold for $7.50 as DLC.
    • If you are interested in buying this game, you should just wait 6 - 12 months after release when Capcom has a 50% off sale on the eShop like it did with AA5. I wish I would have waited to buy the game when it was 1/2 off considering I didn't even start playing my physical copy of the game until after multiple eShop sales happened.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

If only the Gyakuten Saiban games weren't so kanji filled, I'd love to give a giant middle finger to Capcom of America and simply import the Japanese physical versions of both 5 and 6.

I'm not thrilled at all to have to buy a game like this digitally. It's better than nothing but it doesn't make me happy. There's a market for visual novels in the west now. Not a huge massive market, but considering the vast majority of the Vita's visual novels get physical western releases, there is just no excuse for this digital only bullshit.

Or if Capcom is so damn concerned, why not have the physical version be online order only though their store or something? The only reason they're not doing physical releases is because they're stubborn.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    If you are interested in buying this game, you should just wait 6 - 12 months after release
    I remain entirely baffled as to why this is not standard practice for all games at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    The only reason they're not doing physical releases is because they're stubborn.
    Or maybe – just maybe – they've actually done meticulous market research and have concluded that they will probably make less money if they go that route, and they are not in the business of making less money. But no, that can't possibly be right! They are just stubborn people who clearly need to listen more to people posting on message boards, just like Nintendo and Sony and Konami and all those other companies who can't possibly have the slightest idea what they are doing.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    They've actually done meticulous market research and have concluded that they will probably make less money if they go that route, and they are not in the business of making less money. But no, that can't possibly be right! They are just stubborn people who clearly need to listen more to people posting on message boards, just like Nintendo and Sony and Konami and all those other companies who can't possibly have the slightest idea what they are doing.
    If that was the case universally, Altus's games wouldn't sell. They are (were) the sort of games nobody else would take a chance on, yet they have been selling big numbers in the last few years.

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Capcom, apparently like every other AAA publisher nowadays, seems to have stupidly high performance goals for ALL of their games - not just their "holy trinity" of Resident Evil, Street Fighter, and Monster Hunter, but also the itty-bitty games like Ace Attorney.

Remember Square Enix calling the Tomb Raider reboot a failure though it had sold 4+ million copies?

Capcom also called Resident Evil 6 a failure, though it sold 5 million... partially to blame in their opinion: "inadequate marketing".

In the West, Ace Attorney gets NO marketing. Self-fulfilling prophecy? Discuss.
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If that was the case universally, Altus's games wouldn't sell. They are (were) the sort of games nobody else would take a chance on, yet they have been selling big numbers in the last few years.
    This entirely. How about the more obvious motivation again which is money. It costs them far less to just translate and shovel it up on the download system instead of making a real effort and publishing it for retail. It appears they were going to do that at first with mega man but the backlash of fans saw that change with a notable delay into winter for the physical releases. It's just capcom being crapcom, cheap.

Sailor makes the point well again using the poster child for stupid comments about failure -- SquareEnix and the 4M+ sold fail that was Tomb Raider.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You think Atlus is purposely going out of their way to publish games that won't sell? Because they would have gone bankrupt a long time ago if they didn't have some idea what they are doing.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

The point is that Altus makes and publishes games here in America that other companies would look at and say, "No chance we're publishing this in America. It's too quirky, niche, and Japanese to have a snowball's chance in Hell of selling well in the U.S." And yet Atlus keeps publishing these types of games. And NIS America. Yeah, we're not seeing things like "Family Mahjong 7" which wouldn't sell many copies being published by the likes of Atlus, but we /are/ seeing even games like that being published to the "eShops" by even smaller publishers. So the profit is there as long as operations scale up or down alongside realistic expectations to match.

Capcom of America could make more money by selling both digital and physical versions of the Ace Attorney series if it chose to do so. But just because -one- entry (Ace Attorney Investigations) didn't sell enough to match COA's expectations on the matter, Capcom of America probably won't ever give a physical release to another Ace Attorney game, and that's just a shame.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Capcom has been notoriously wishy-washy about localizing Ace Attorney games since #3. Remember "Plead Your Case?" (link to article: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2007/02/7085/ ) I think this pretty much covers it --->

Until the 3DS came out, they released physical Ace Attorney in the West because they pretty much had to. Poor sales of AAI1 + the 3DS coming out gave Capcom an easy out for not translating AAI2 (an "old DS" game whose predecessor sold butt).

Having been a member of Capcom's volunteer marketing department* for about 10 years, I am pretty much resigned to the fact that I will:

A) never get to play Gyakuten Kenji 2 legally in English
    B) never get to play Dai Gyakuten Saiban at all
    C) have to buy a bigger SD card at some point

Will I buy Ace Attorney 6? Yes. Will I buy it on Day 1 like I did with Dual Destinies? ...probably not.

The Gyakuten ___ franchise turns 15 in Japan next year. I expect there will be some kind of celebration.
    Ace Attorney turns 10 in the West this year. Capcom isn't going to do anything for those outside of Japan who love Nick and Friends. Celebrate by dusting off your DS carts or playing the Trilogy on your 3DS/iObject.

*= non-Japanese Ace Attorney fan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The point is that Altus makes and publishes games here in America that other companies would look at and say, "No chance we're publishing this in America. It's too quirky, niche, and Japanese to have a snowball's chance in Hell of selling well in the U.S." And yet Atlus keeps publishing these types of games. And NIS America.
    This chain of logic is unclear. Why would "other companies" say that a particular game doesn't have a "snowball's chance in Hell of selling well" while at the same time Atlus keeps publishing those games?

Capcom of America could make more money by selling both digital and physical versions of the Ace Attorney series if it chose to do so.
    How can you say that for certain!? What do any of us know for sure about the profit margins on Ace Attorney Investigations – or any other Capcom game, for that matter? Have the numbers been made publicly available? What if it came dangerously close to losing money? Physical versions are more costly to produce, and the secondary market for them probably cuts further into profits.
    Last edited by Jorpho; 09-05-2015 at 06:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not sure if the exact numbers were made public, but Capcom has gone on record stating that Investigations has "sold fewer copies than Okamiden", which they did not consider a success either. However, if vgchartz is to be believed* (Googled "Ace Attorney Investigations worldwide sales"), AAI sold ~220,000 copies in North America; ~700,000 worldwide. (link: http://www.vgchartz.com/game/33988/a...les-edgeworth/) Okamiden sold ~210,000 in North America; ~420,000 worldwide. (link:http://www.vgchartz.com/game/38423/okamiden/)

I'm not even going to pretend to know the whole story, other than big publishers tend to frustrate fans with their treatment of their lesser-known franchises (yes, even Nintendo, though I've been known to go full fangirl during Nintendo Directs**), and Capcom is no exception.

Non-Ace Attorney fans, buy stock in your favorite SD card manufacturer now. May as well make a few bucks off of us who have pledged their loyalty to Team Nick.

*vgchartz also says Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (Gyakuten Saiban 4) was the best-selling title in the series... but it's APOLLO JUSTICE!
    **Dear Nintendo, please don't stop doing Nintendo Directs just because Mr. Iwata's gone... they brighten our day! ...or at least make it suck less.
    Last edited by Sailorneorune; 09-05-2015 at 08:36 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

It would help if the games were actually sold in big box retailers instead of just online or at Gamestop. I remember buying one of the early games from a Wal-Mart, if I'm remembering right it's the only time I saw any of the Phoenix Wright games sold there(I think I bought the only copy there actually). I still haven't found a copy of Miles Edgeworth yet as they disappeared from stores before I could pick one up. I was hoping for a price drop so I wouldn't have to pay close to $40 for it at Gamestop as I got the previous ones new for about $20 each plus tax(excluding Apollo Justice). It's rare for me to pay even that much for any game so that's still saying something.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailorneorune View Post
    B) never get to play Dai Gyakuten Saiban at all
    Why is this? Is it because you'd need an imported copy of the game, an imported 3DS, and a thorough understanding of Japanese including many kanji, and the odds of a fan translation due to these difficulties being low?

This chain of logic is unclear. Why would "other companies" say that a particular game doesn't have a "snowball's chance in Hell of selling well" while at the same time Atlus keeps publishing those games?
    Because some companies will pass on any game if it has even one of these criteria:
    -Takes place in Japan
    -Features only Japanese-looking people
    -Features a genre untried in the West
    -Has a lot of text to translate
    -Has too many "Japanese things"
    -Features a genre which traditionally doesn't sell well in the West
    -Has a genre which used to sell well in the West but no longer does
    -Requires too much reading
    -Has content which some westerners would find strange or consider offensive
    -Will sell less than 1,000,000 units

Meanwhile companies like NIS America, Atlus, Teyon, CIRCLE Entertainment, EnjoyUp Games, and (to a lesser extent) Gaijin Works in cooperation with other publishing companies will bring these games over to the West. In Atlus's case, its fans know this and flock to it because of it bringing "too Japanese" games westward and because of its Working Designs style limited editions and first print runs which bring even more purchasers to these games due to this special treatment. Not everything these companies bring to North America is "gold" nor does everything get physical copies as the smaller games tend to get digital only copies. However, especially in the case of Atlus's first party games, many give physical releases to a lot of their games. They know that some people would never know about these games if they were digital-only. And Atlus did so well with this approach that SEGA bought up the whole company recently!

Physical versions are more costly to produce, and the secondary market for them probably cuts further into profits.
    I might not have an MBA, but even I know that physical copies on store shelves act not just as product to sell but also as advertisements for that product. So while it is costlier to produce tangible copies of software, at the same time it ensures greatly public knowledge of the existence of the product and helps to sell additional copies of both the tangible and intangible (downloadable) units.

Furthermore, as many can attest to here, there are lots of stubborn people who refuse to buy any ethereal copies of games and will only buy physical releases. There are also people who refuse to buy online. Yet others do not have a credit card, debit card, nor bank account and this makes buying online difficult. If a game is download-only, that would result in lost sales concerning these people.

Finally, the secondary market ensures that even more copies can sell. How? Many people take a wait-and-see approach, and if the game looks good but not good enough to pay full price, they will wait to buy until the price is right for them. The secondary market full of new and used copies ensures that eventually this price is met. And while the publisher might not directly profit from these later sales, if someone doesn't buy the first in a series, especially in a story-based series, then they are unlikely to buy later entries in that series.

For example, someone might not have bought Ace Attorney 1 for $30 new back in the early 2000's, but a few years later she finds a used copy for $15. She plays it, loves it, and tracks down the other two which are still new and she buys them from Wal*Mart. She then eagerly anticipates 4 and Investigations and buys those up at launch. But later she is disappointed that Investigations 2 is skipped by COA and, as she only has a DS, has to skip out on Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney. Later though, she buys a 3DS from her friend and goes back to Wal*Mart to buy Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney. Even later yet, she wants more of the series but doesn't have the money to buy a download of AA5 and an SD card big enough to hold the download, so she skips the game and ends up buying some Professor Layton DS game instead. Then she just never gets around to getting AA5 or later because they are either download-only (and she doesn't want to buy like that) or because COA skips out on bringing any particular one over here. While this is not everyone's scenario, it is similar enough to many to get the points across.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why is this? Is it because you'd need an imported copy of the game, an imported 3DS, and a thorough understanding of Japanese including many kanji, and the odds of a fan translation due to these difficulties being low?
    Yes. To play DGS legally, I'd need to import the game (~$70), and a 3DS (~$220). To play it semi-legally, import the game, buy a North American 2DS, and jailbreak the 2DS. (I admit the latter thought has crossed my mind before ultimately determining that it's not worth it, especially after slogging through AAI2 in Japanese with the aid of a Let's Play + translation.) DGS also uses an older dialect of Japanese in its dialogue for some of the main characters, so even being well-versed in modern Japanese would not guarantee a complete understanding of what's going on in the game.

For example, someone might not have bought Ace Attorney 1 for $30 new back in the early 2000's, but a few years later she finds a used copy for $15. She plays it, loves it, and tracks down the other two which are still new and she buys them from Wal*Mart. She then eagerly anticipates 4 and Investigations and buys those up at launch. But later she is disappointed that Investigations 2 is skipped by COA and, as she only has a DS, has to skip out on Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney. Later though, she buys a 3DS from her friend and goes back to Wal*Mart to buy Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney. Even later yet, she wants more of the series but doesn't have the money to buy a download of AA5 and an SD card big enough to hold the download, so she skips the game and ends up buying some Professor Layton DS game instead. Then she just never gets around to getting AA5 or later because they are either download-only (and she doesn't want to buy like that) or because COA skips out on bringing any particular one over here. While this is not everyone's scenario, it is similar enough to many to get the points across.
    I have bought so many secondhand copies of Phoenix Wright 1-3 for people over the last 5+ years, it's not even funny. I had purchased my first personal copy new in '05, then traded it for an inferior boring masculine power fantasy action game to placate my then-significant other who didn't like me "ogling" Nick and Edgey. (Old shame revealed! Grateful that my husband understands the appeal of Ace Attorney doesn't only have to do with the good-looking guys shouting at each other.) Big mistake, because the first print run of AA1 dried up quickly, raising the secondary market price to $50-60 in '06. Thankfully Capcom did multiple subsequent print runs when Justice For All and Trials and Tribulations came out, in '06 and '07 respectively. I was able to replace my Phoenix Wright, and buy the rest of the trilogy as it was released. Completing the trilogy on others' behalf has been difficult over the years because, for a while, Trials and Tribs was the $50 game, then Justice for All...

For people who didn't have a DS, or didn't want to pay $50 for their missing Phoenix Wright Trilogy installment, I could recommend the Wii version after its release, and often did. I gifted Phoenix Wright Wii to several people after buying Wii Points cards at a substantial discount sometime in early 2011.

Ace Attorney's future is digital-only in the West, and only if Phoenix Wright is the star, because Capcom is a poster child for the risk-averse modern games industry that just happens to own the IP of an oddball lawyer game that people overseas love just enough that they can't can it entirely. It makes me sad, but all we can do is show our support for what does come out here, while simultaneously telling Capcom that we're only buying it digitally because they're giving us no other option if we want Ace Attorney.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Speaking of which... Sailorneorune, what do you think of the iOS and 3DS Ace Attorney Trilogy ports?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I might not have an MBA
    That's just it, isn't it? Which is more probable: that you know more about marketing games than anyone on Capcom's staff, or that the people on Capcom's staff know things that you don't?

Looking at my local game shops, I have to wonder how effective a physical copy is anymore when it comes to marketing a game. The shelves are crowded and nothing much stands out. A third of the back of a 3DS game box is given over to health and safety information and other miscellany that does nothing to sell a game. So, on the whole I don't think a physical copy of a text-heavy game about lawyers having court battles is really going to sell itself to someone who isn't already familiar with the series, especially if there's a big number "5" in the title suggesting a lengthy backstory with which the casual purchaser would be unfamiliar. And someone who is familiar with the series would surely be willing to track it down in the eShop.

Even later yet, she wants more of the series but doesn't have the money to buy a download of AA5 and an SD card big enough to hold the download, so she skips the game and ends up buying some Professor Layton DS game instead.
    SD cards are cheap, and AA5 has gone on sale on the eShop on occasion. It's certainly not convenient to wait around and jump on it when it goes on sale, but trying to track down out-of-print games for a decent price is likewise far from convenient.

As for Atlus, I'd say their purchase by Sega (which I had forgotten) might speak more towards the lack of success of their business model – they were only doing well enough to look like a desirable acquisition. I'll certainly grant that the extra-thick, pretty-looking boxes of some of their 3DS games are one of the few things that do stand out on the shelves – as do the markedly higher price tags. But then the question remains: if having a pretty-looking special-edition box is a reliable way to sell more copies of a game, why isn't everyone else doing it?

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I might not have an MBA
    That's just it, isn't it?
    I knew you were going to focus on that part. Do any of my college credits which went toward my degree count for anything?

Which is more probable: that you know more about marketing games than anyone on Capcom's staff, or that the people on Capcom's staff know things that you don't?
    Which is more probable: that ANY OF US knows what's going on in private meetings behind any given company's closed doors, or that Capcom of America is just focusing on the big hits to minimize the amount of spending by the company to maximize the number of the almighty dollars which it has while other people defend its decisions online?

Personally, I think the facts that many its employees are leaving the company in Japan and America while former creative talents, frustrated with the limitations imposed by Capcom's cheapness, its sequel-itis, and the cowardly suits at the top, are leaving to form their own companies, their own series, and even just leaving to work for other companies, speak volumes. The same goes for Konami.

So, on the whole I don't think a physical copy of a text-heavy game about lawyers having court battles is really going to sell itself to someone who isn't already familiar with the series.
    On the whole I think ANY ADVERTISING BY CAPCOM OF AMERICA, whether physical copies of the games, print ads, or online ads would help to sell copies of these titles. But all anyone really hears or sees other than game news sites echoing press releases are fans trying to get people to pay attention and buy the games. Like SailorNeoRune wrote above, if you are an AA fan, it's like you are an unpaid volunteer advertiser.

SD cards are cheap, and AA5 has gone on sale on the eShop on occasion. It's certainly not convenient to wait around and jump on it when it goes on sale, but trying to track down out-of-print games for a decent price is likewise far from convenient.
    So is having to pay full price ($30) for the game at launch, paying again ($7.50) to get the DLC episode of the game which was excised from the rest, and having to top all that off with buying a microSD card plus adapter ($13.69) which you otherwise wouldn't have needed except that the massive size of the AA5 game requires buying another, larger memory card.

As for Atlus, I'd say their purchase by Sega (which I had forgotten) might speak more towards the lack of success of their business model – they were only doing well enough to look like a desirable acquisition.
    No, actually. The case of Atlus's purchase was the same as the case of Hudson's purchase. In both cases, the America branch was doing really well and making big profits for its size. However, the Japanese branch was doing badly, marred by bad business decisions and overextending its reach. Square Enix bought up Hudson, and SEGA bought up Atlus.

I'll certainly grant that the extra-thick, pretty-looking boxes of some of their 3DS games are one of the few things that do stand out on the shelves – as do the markedly higher price tags.
    Atlus's on-the-shelf game+bonus releases are no more expensive ($40) than Nintendo's, Capcom's, or Square Enix's plain with no extras releases ($40).

But then the question remains: if having a pretty-looking special-edition box is a reliable way to sell more copies of a game, why isn't everyone else doing it?
    Everyone ~is~. Perhaps you haven't been going into game stores lately? From American to Japanese companies, nearly all of them are sporting "Limited Edition" or "Collector's Edition" or "Gamer's Edition" releases or special first print runs for many of their games. Some cost more than a standard release, others don't. Look at Nintendo: it's releasing Super Mario Maker with a special "Idea Book" with its regular release which costs no more than a standard Wii U game. You can even get the physical book for free with the purchase of the digital version of that game! There's also Xenoblade Chronicles X. And Project X Zone 2. And many others. Just check the GameStop or Amazon stores and you'll see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Speaking of which... Sailorneorune, what do you think of the iOS and 3DS Ace Attorney Trilogy ports?
    Bought Trilogy 3DS the last time it went on sale, and it's nice having all the Nick in one place.

Haven't tried iNick yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Which is more probable: that ANY OF US knows what's going on in private meetings behind any given company's closed doors, or that Capcom of America is just focusing on the big hits to minimize the amount of spending by the company to maximize the number of the almighty dollars which it has while other people defend its decisions online?
    Of course Capcom is doing whatever it thinks will maximize its profits. That is why I suspect it is unlikely that they would "make more money by selling both digital and physical versions of the Ace Attorney series if it chose to do so", as you have asserted.

Personally, I think the facts that many its employees are leaving the company in Japan and America while former creative talents, frustrated with the limitations imposed by Capcom's cheapness, its sequel-itis, and the cowardly suits at the top, are leaving to form their own companies, their own series, and even just leaving to work for other companies, speak volumes.
    And yet, for now at least, they are still in business. I'm sure we can all look forward to many thousands upon thousands of words spouted all over the Internet stating exactly what they did wrong and exactly what they should have done when they go bankrupt, or get bought out, or something. But that hasn't happened.

Also, was there ever a time when Capcom wasn't mad about milking sequels for everything they're worth?

On the whole I think ANY ADVERTISING BY CAPCOM OF AMERICA, whether physical copies of the games, print ads, or online ads would help to sell copies of these titles. But all anyone really hears or sees other than game news sites echoing press releases are fans trying to get people to pay attention and buy the games.
    Where does anyone really see ads for games these days? Aside from game review sites and word of mouth, the most prominent ads I know of are ... on the eShop.

So is having to pay full price ($30) for the game at launch, paying again ($7.50) to get the DLC episode of the game which was excised from the rest, and having to top all that off with buying a microSD card plus adapter ($13.69) which you otherwise wouldn't have needed except that the massive size of the AA5 game requires buying another, larger memory card.
    I'm afraid you lost me here entirely. Physical releases also cost full price at launch, and all too often these days the price of niche titles (and I can't imagine the Ace Attorney games ever achieving mass appeal) only goes up afterwards.

Atlus's on-the-shelf game+bonus releases are no more expensive ($40) than Nintendo's, Capcom's, or Square Enix's plain with no extras releases ($40).
    Where are you buying your games..? Persona Q hereabouts is $50 CDN. So is Etrian Mystery Dungeon. Devil Survivor 2 is $60. The most expensive game I've seen otherwise is $45.

Everyone ~is~. Perhaps you haven't been going into game stores lately? From American to Japanese companies, nearly all of them are sporting "Limited Edition" or "Collector's Edition" or "Gamer's Edition" releases or special first print runs for many of their games.
    As far as 3DS games go, the only one I can recall is one of the Adventure Time games.
    Last edited by Jorpho; 09-12-2015 at 10:10 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I'm afraid you lost me here entirely. Physical releases also cost full price at launch, and all too often these days the price of niche titles (and I can't imagine the Ace Attorney games ever achieving mass appeal) only goes up afterwards.
    The price of the previous Ace Attorney games are lower now than original retail pricing, more around $10-$20. Why would a new physical release go up in price when the previous games in the series didn't?

As far as 3DS games go, the only one I can recall is one of the Adventure Time games.
    There is that upcoming 999 sequel that has that limited edition with a watch. There are a few others, Hakuoki: Memories of the Shinsengumi, Project X Zone, Tenkai Knights: Brave Battle, Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D, etc. If you actually look at consoles in general, there are plenty of limted edition versions of games available.

In any case, I don't pay for digital download games so I won't be buying any future releases unless they get a physical release. I'm not desperate to spend money so I can live without them. I have a ton of old games to play, movies to watch, and books to read. I can make due without anything new if I have to. Capcom's version of Aladdin was worse than Virgin Games' Aladdin for the Genesis, Capcom is a decent developer but not the best of the best or anything.