Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AT Games has another Ultimate Portable Game Player out - Mortal Kombat edition

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Maybe they don't work? I'm fairly certain since I didn't like either I did not try them when I had the original unit with the SD card slot added to it from like 5 years ago. I know they've been slightly improved because some games it hated do work with specific tweaks I guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, where is the chase, and how do I cut to it?
    Now it is the beginning of
    a fantastic story! Let us
    make a Journey to
    the cave of Monters!
    Good luck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Here's the chase. They finally unblocked selling these again mid-week. I went and paid some spare cash I had and grabbed one late this morning. The Save Button is a misrepresented lie on their website as it's not there on the unit or on the box itself. I only had time to mess with Columns so far, but my recollection of the old one I had (first with SD card) didn't sound quite as nice. Obviously I need to put time into the various other games and throw a few on the SD card but I think it has been slightly upgraded, but I have no doubt it won't save still. I'm not happy with that bit, but at the same time I mostly just wanted it to screw around with here and there and not to sink big time into RPGs, though DUNE would have been nice as would Mega Man Wily Wars. I did find someone made a hack for that game that unlocks the full game from the start with a custom rom so that would solve that problem.

I will in time make another post here sooner than later when I can get a little time on it.

I've had a busy annoying day though. I got my replacement frontlit GBC in the mail along with the 40pin cable converter for my GBA. The GBA took hours to do because the plastic case was screwing me up a lot, but it works well. I did melt the GBA screen plastic cover so I had to replace it for $5 on ebay (be here next week, OEM one too) but it'll be slick once it's in. The GBC again was fubar, dude is claiming the heat or whatever is jacking up the LOCA but it appears to be improperly done with not enough as it has spidering and ghosting, also a trapped bit of something between the panels so it's a little warped around it with a white spot on it (dust I guess.) It's going back, no more replacements. Once I'm credited I'll just order a kit and do it myself as I'm fed up and handheld legends has a nice package of loca, panel, glass screen for under $30.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has anyone messed around with the new re-skin? These are on sale very cheap at dollar general and as terrible as they are I'm sort of tempted

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Aside from throwing a sd card in mine I have and pretty sure I spelled it out in an earlier post. If save games and moderately wrong octave audio in some games would anger you or ruinthe fun avoid otherwise its worth it at least for the portable. If it's the console version with the cart slot that's a harder sell even with the pack in games vs buying a used genesis and games lot off eBay or locally instead.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Did some last minute shopping today and ran across this portable and their standalone console that now comes packed with the three MK's, both $59.99. To actually look at it is to see truly how unprofessional AT Games is. Not only are the 3 screenshots of the MK games (used on both versions) from the friggin' arcade game, but the back of the box doesn't even feature the correct MK boxes. Instead of the real MKII box it uses a full page print ad Acclaim ran that features screenshots from different systems, all squashed into the dimensions of their other box covers. I really don't understand how Sega is OK with such shoddy workmanship of their licenses. Well, SoA I can see, but not SoJ. You'd think someone in the company would see (or better yet play) this garbage and yank back the license in a heartbeat. Even more amazing that other companies like Capcom or WB are stupid/greedy enough to go along also.

Has anyone actually played either of these? I wonder if WB altered the ROMs to remove references to Probe or Acclaim.

Which brings up another point, how the hell did WB wind up with the rights to ports of their IP they didn't even develop? I might be able to understand 3 or UMK3 since Midway/Williams/Whoever at least distributed that themselves, but the first two?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I own the handheld, the box on that does have the MK2 ad instead of box, pretty dumb yet really never noticed it either until you brought it up. I just double checked, as I thought the ROMS are pure, no tweaking so PROBE and Acclaim are still on there. I'm not sure I'd call them entirely unprofessional, but I would 100% call them cheap and lazy. I don't know if you're in an area for the holidays that hiked the price, but that console and handheld should MSRP at the $40-45 mark, not $60. I got it when it came out if you recall my earlier posts and noted that price around there back then. I've since seen it pop up at Walgreens and other spots still in that range.

I call them cheap because for the same price as it has been for years, now they removed the USB cable to charge it with which was a punk move, thankfully I had a spare usb power cable+power jack from a dead phone with perfect power flow for it. I call them lazy because of the cheapness of the overall box but primarily since they do microscopic updates to their emulator yet clearly leave most the audio problems and NO SAVING even on the console to games with battery save BROKEN. That really is so damn stupid it's stunning. All said though if you get it for what it retails for, given the Sega games in there, and the SD card .BIN file support on the portable it's worth it entirely to have most the Genesis library in your pocket, but that's it.

WB got the right to MK because when Midway folded, their IPs went up for sale and auction and WB picked up the entire MK franchise game library and all along with all other MK related rights and some other IPs as well (quite a few actually.) Probe/Acclaim made the games under license with Midway but ultimately Midway owned their code, their music, their graphics, characters, etc. They were just code jockies doing the work Midway was too lazy to handle in the 90s until they took up the work with MK3/UMK3.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Probe/Acclaim made the games under license with Midway but ultimately Midway owned their code, their music, their graphics, characters, etc.
    I just found that strange since I've never heard of a company releasing ports of their own original IP's that were licensed out to be developed and published by totally unrelated companies. In fact I can't even think of any example of this ever happening in the past. So many arcade ports are lost in time due to licensing issues and it often takes a small miracle (somewhat like the Ubisoft/Konami deal) to ever see them again.

Lots of cool reworked ports or better yet AST's will never be seen again, like Sega's Final Fight or Hudson's Neo-Geo ports.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I totally agree, lots of lost better things to keep around than MK1-3 of all things for Genesis. It's just an emulator and they're cheap so it's no surprise they'd go the path of the least resistance (cash and effort.) I just wish they'd fix the SRAM issue and sound and it would be amazing for what you paying for given the SD card capabilities of it. The thing is, for all that's lost, anything considered lost on Genesis has I'd bet a 90% chance of working on that thing so at least that's something considering Sega gave their blessing to advertise such a feature and include it.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I would suspect usage of old company logos in digital rereleases of games might be a game-specific concern.

I know when Ghoul Patrol was released on Wii Virtual Console, LucasArts left in the JVC logo even though Victor/JVC's game game division was spun off (into Marvelous) I don't how many YEARS ago. Early 2000s, maybe?
    I didn't download ZAMN since I own an actual cart, but I wouldn't be surprised if they left in the Konami logo, despite that I think LucasArts alone published VC ZAMN.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It's all contract based it really is. I remember when I worked at Midway when they'd make a game most times they just did a PS2 version, then they'd shop around for the best and cheapest contract they could get, shovel the game to them, and have them create a port of it for GC and xb. I recall the deal with it was, they'd get recognition on the legal page and a splash screen, but they owned nothing of their work and it was 100% property of Midway to do with as they pleased. I would image it's probably a standard-ish contract when you farm out work to another company they get paid but lose all rights to the work since the code is all derivative of the original and they just re-write as needed to work on various other consoles. So in this case conveniently being Midway (now WB) they hired some coding chimps for the cheapest price possible, and Probe and Acclaim are known for being cheap and mostly shoddy games as it is, had them do the conversion, paid them off, and that was the end of it. When Midway folded WB got the assets in the buy out and that's why this stuff is highlighted as-is with no tweaks to the ROMS on the atgames systems.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Noticed the 2016 version selling like gangbusters and pimping the inclusion of the 2 Phantasy Star games as "more RPG's" in bold print for both of their Sega clones. How and how well does it (or the console version) support saves now?

I finally got around to trying Segaman's mod for these that fixes a some sound issues. It's a definite improvement (maybe huge depending on the game) and worth the tiny inconvenience of loading up.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    Noticed the 2016 version selling like gangbusters
    Probably to people unable to buy the NES classic and getting this instead of paying ebay markup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

No doubt, also maybe a few Sega fans who wanted a crack at those RPGs on the go since those hacks tooled around and specifically made it only so those few RPGs could be saved (yet at the cost of the Streets of Rage franchise which seems like an unfair trade off.)