Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP RetroVGS/Coleco Chameleon: Retro Console Epic Disaster (2015-2016)

LA (not the city, but the state next to Texas)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    oh I just watched something about fpgas and Gameboys last night. lemme find it!

found it!

https://youtu.be/IimFxG-n8O8
    Nice!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    triverse

Okay, I think I collected all of the facts in one place for anyone that is interested in knowing what is going on without having to sift through nearly 100 pages on AtariAge's forums, RETRO's website, some tech blogs and Google Images.

http://retrogamingmagazine.com/2016/...i-under-glass/

Thoughts on this?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    primordialhelios

Not sure if anybody's mentioned this, but when showing off the Chameleon at a trade show, it was (judging by video stills) running a SNES flashcart electrical taped to a Jaguar cart to try and hide it.
    I still haven't beaten DOOM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

So, about that Kickstarter that was supposed to start today.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fluid_matrix View Post
    So, about that Kickstarter that was supposed to start today.

I legitimately giggled out loud at this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sad but potentially true piece of future observational comedy.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Just posted 3 hours ago on their Facebook page-

"We’re delaying the Kickstarter for the Coleco Chameleon to make it even better!

Last week during Toy Fair in New York, we had the opportunity to demonstrate the Coleco Chameleon to the industry, gamers and retailers for the first time. Their response was beyond anything we’d imagined. Major retailers provided feedback on the product and expressed real interest in carrying the product for the 2016 holiday season. And, very importantly, major game companies expressed interest in providing games for our system, which meant we’d need more time to solidify those partnerships and maximize the content.

Our team’s overriding goal has always been to deliver the best possible system and experience for gamers. If there’s ever anything we can do to enhance the product, we believe the extra time is worth it. Therefore, we have decided to delay the pre-sell, i.e. Kickstarter, campaign in order to finalize our prototype and work with developers on having the best possible content. This delay will not affect our overall launch date for the Coleco Chameleon.

There has also been a whirlwind of interest, speculation and curiosity regarding the insides of the Chameleon. We are delighted by this and happy to confirm that we will be releasing photographs of the system now on our Facebook page, and we’ll focus on turning our prototype into a production-ready product.

We’ll keep you posted on any major news on our Facebook page and will let you know when we launch a pre-sell program leading up to the Christmas season. Stay tuned, and thanks for your continued support."

Hilarious!

"Major retailers provided feedback on the product and expressed real interest in carrying the product for the 2016 holiday season. And, very importantly, major game companies expressed interest in providing games for our system"

I find this hard to believe.

"There has also been a whirlwind of interest, speculation and curiosity regarding the insides of the Chameleon. We are delighted by this..."

Keep digging your own grave guys. Note- Looks like the console on their page is a different one than that which they demonstrated at the NY Toy Fair.
    Last edited by buzz_n64; 02-26-2016 at 09:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

What interests me on this is the simple fact a kickstarter is used to fund a project, or at least the development of the materials on a mass scale someone can not afford to do. Here they're curiously not wanting money because of so called promises from others they'd support it if they had a working prototype to check it out. I'd think you'd be more interested in kickstarting to have a slush fund of cash to rapidly get something ready to show to various suits to get investors and game makers behind it. Seems like a big twisted lie to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    Just posted 3 hours ago on their Facebook page-

"We’re delaying the Kickstarter for the Coleco Chameleon to try to make it work
    Corrected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Really though, is anyone surprised? Not me. In fact I expected nothing less. The magazine has been delayed so much, why not the system too?

I think they anticipate a Kickstarter now to bomb so that message is their way of saving face. It's the only prayer they got... to string along those blind folks still invested in this system.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

OH MY GOD! I found out through Pat's Facebook that over at Atariage, they found out what the latest Coleco Chameleon prototype actual is.

It's a HICAP50B DVR Capture Card. A freakin' capture card!

At this point I'm thinking maybe Mike is trying to troll people, I just don't get it. This is the most awkward, weird, deceptive game system story to date.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Man, if this doesn't kill this project off, nothing will. A random bit of circuit board slapped into a transparent case being pawned off as a prototype console? They obviously don't have any hardware to show at all, this is an elaborate financing scam.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

This has really gone off the rails. It's no longer embarrassing or sad; it's flatly a desperate scam. I hope Coleco has cause to sue them for breach of contract or defamation or something just to teach the lesson that this is so completely unacceptable in the business world. It's starting to feel predatory.

Edit: I don't mean to imply that it's no longer funny. I just also would like a nice big cathartic ending to it all. This story needs a climactic, brutal ending.
    Last edited by celerystalker; 03-01-2016 at 02:13 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

It's being gentle calling this a trainwreck. It's like a goddamn meteor crashed into the trainwreck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The lulz train rolls on!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wow there's nothing amusing or even sad about this. That's a straight up scam and I guess I shouldn't be surprised they'd be that goddamn stupid to throw a capture card into a see through shell and throw a few plugs in the front and back to make it look like a working console. I mean begging for money and embarrassing Coleco like that at a trade show with this crap would even make a used car salesman sleazeball flinch.

Please someone sue them, preferably Coleco screwing with their image they're trying to resurrect as this is downright fraud and deception.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Speechless. Mike Kennedy has officially ruined whatever small good will he had in the retro community. This whole thing has been bizarre. I actually interacted with him a few times in 2013/14. Always thought he was a good guy. Now? Not anymore. I have not seen such a train wreck as this before. I think we will never see the Kickstarter and I think his Retro magazine dies a sad slow death based on the fact that his name is attached to it. Whole thing is sad, really. And again, bizarre.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

At this rate the only plausible good way to save it, pop up with a true prototype and pretty quick. Not on video, not a controlled environment, but one where an unbiased set of media people can flick the power, watch it start up, and play stuff -- then inspect the cartridge and console itself having some concept of electrical engineering or what things just need to be to be right, and flatly say 'no shenanigans, it's real.' I just don't see the odds of that being better than nil at this point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And I was made out to be the bad guy for pointing out that these guys are just scam artists. Him and his racketeering buddies Michael Thomasson and Piko Interactive. Fuck them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Dude, don't, Piko is honest, don't even go there. I'll stand by him, you call him a crook then I'm a scam artist too. I think it would be safe to say if he had or hadn't seen anything of yet, due to the tentative agreement to supply games he would be under a NDA. As such one with that would not and could not be allowed to say if anything being thrown around is right or wrong because of a potential legal backlash. It's fairly standard in the gaming industry to lock anyone under those so things don't get out.