Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP RetroVGS/Coleco Chameleon: Retro Console Epic Disaster (2015-2016)

LA (not the city, but the state next to Texas)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fluid_matrix View Post
    Ah, ok. I've never used any crowdfunding services before, so what I know is only what I've heard second hand.
    I would only trust Kickstarter. IndieGoGo has a history with shady projects (not that KS doesn't, but KS has higher turnout and a more rigid screening process), and other sites like Gofundme are more for donation type stuff rather than investors.

So far most of the campaigns I've backed have delivered, although some of the games I backed are still in development and exceeded timeline projections, none of them have gone bankrupt or have given any indication that they won't deliver.

Ironically, the first campaign I ever backed on Kickstarter was Animusic 3 in 2012. They guys needed funds for a new server, and I had DVDs and Audio CDs from both their prior projects, so it was a no brainer. The expected delivery date was Oct 2013 and I backed the CD+BluRay. Early 2015 I received their Audio CD, no word yet on the BluRay but I haven't given up hope yet as they are nice guys and still in business and would never screw anyone.

Ironically I backed Year two of Retro Mag and so far have been underwhelmed. After the RetroVGS/Chameleon SNAFU, it is safe to say I will not be supporting these jokers ever again.

Do continue to buy games from PikoInteractive and Collectorvision; they are both great companies who basically got shat on and thrown under the bus by Mike Kennedy and his posse.
    Last edited by stardust4ever; 03-06-2016 at 01:41 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Speed Racer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stardust4ever View Post
    It exists (in the near future, the AVS will be available for sale at RetroUSB.com), and since patents are expired, no licensing in needed to produce clone systems! Unlike cheap clones, this is 100% FPGA hardware outputting pure digital signal with 100% compatibility with existing and future games...

Wow! Wasn't even aware that existed. Are they planning to fund development and production on their own or are they going the crowdfunding route? I checked their Facebook page and really didn't find anything about that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

My name is Rusty Shackleford.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    My name is Rusty Shackleford.
    You don't know who I am, but I know where you live.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Bunny's retroavs seems nice, but I still think the asking price of just under $200 is high for a one off system. At that rate I'd rather just own the original hardware. At that price I need the swiss army knife approach to be enticing to buy like the emulated retron 5 does. I'm not knocking it, it's great it's in 720p but it offers me nothing I can't do already without 720p and still sharp thanks to the good tv I have with no lag issues.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Sad to hear Dave left the magazine. Gotta wonder if we'll ever get the remaining issues due for year 2?
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Sad to hear Dave left the magazine. Gotta wonder if we'll ever get the remaining issues due for year 2?
    Not a chance considering SoCalMike dropped all the remaining Retro money into Chameleongate. I don't have the link to where I read it, because there is just an endless online "paper trail" for this debacle, but someone on the inside coughed up some info about what had been invested into the endeavor and oops, there goes the rest of the Retro cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Bunny's retroavs seems nice, but I still think the asking price of just under $200 is high for a one off system. At that rate I'd rather just own the original hardware. At that price I need the swiss army knife approach to be enticing to buy like the emulated retron 5 does. I'm not knocking it, it's great it's in 720p but it offers me nothing I can't do already without 720p and still sharp thanks to the good tv I have with no lag issues.
    Even though I think bunnyboy is a putz, $200 is not high for high end, upscaled NES gaming. Considering the swiss army approach for real systems can run you $300+ just for a Kevtris HDMI kitted NES, it's not bad. Or you can go full retard and spend even more like I did to run every system you have through a XRGB. But my god, everything is so perfect.

*gets tackled by Anthony1*

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

You NEVER go FULL retard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    Not a chance considering SoCalMike dropped all the remaining Retro money into Chameleongate. I don't have the link to where I read it, because there is just an endless online "paper trail" for this debacle, but someone on the inside coughed up some info about what had been invested into the endeavor and oops, there goes the rest of the Retro cash
    If true, I know there are some people who Kickstartered it to have a certain game written about. I feel sorry for these people because it probably won't ever come to light. I almost pledged for this tier... Boy am I glad I held off.

I would be shocked to see the magazine last beyond two more issues. They're toast.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I would rather see the Chameleon be born as to play ColecoVision (the only console worthy of Coleco's name to date), Sega SG1000, MSX and Creativision games than to play Sega Genesis or Super NES games.

It should have these Texas Instruments chips:
    TMS9918A VDP
    SN76489 PSG

~Ben

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    triverse

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    According to the rules of Kickstarter, Mike will have to complete that Kickstarter before he can create another. Of course, we have seen at least two different Kickstarters by Mike (one for the magazine's two years and one to "reboot" Intellivision games of some sort). Ever notice we don't hear about that other Kickstarter? Or the "game company" he owns that apparently has Steve Woita working on updating old games for Android devices?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    If true, I know there are some people who Kickstartered it to have a certain game written about. I feel sorry for these people because it probably won't ever come to light. I almost pledged for this tier... Boy am I glad I held off.

I would be shocked to see the magazine last beyond two more issues. They're toast.
    Hold on, are you saying Mike took money from publishers/developers in return for writing content about those games in the magazine?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If it's true that nitwit took the magazine cash to flounder and twist it into the wind on his vapor console there should be some form of hell to be reckoned with on that by those who paid for one item and then got neither, including the one they didn't want. It would throw an added reasoning for that one guy to bail on the magazine effective immediately too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ColecoFan1981 View Post
    I would rather see the Chameleon be born as to play ColecoVision (the only console worthy of Coleco's name to date), Sega SG1000, MSX and Creativision games than to play Sega Genesis or Super NES games.

It should have these Texas Instruments chips:
    TMS9918A VDP
    SN76489 PSG

~Ben
    The big problem is that the only two people who have games to license that he could convince to support this endeavour had SNES games. So of course it has to support the SNES. That is why we get the Super NES in a Jag shell as a "prototype".
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    triverse

Quote Originally Posted by badinsults View Post
    The big problem is that the only two people who have games to license that he could convince to support this endeavour had SNES games. So of course it has to support the SNES. That is why we get the Super NES in a Jag shell as a "prototype".
    Actually, Piko has games on NES (8-Bit), Sega Genesis (16-Bit), Super Nintendo (16-Bit), Game Boy Advance (portable) and Game Boy/Color (portble). Here is a link to their store page-

https://www.pikointeractive.com/store.html

Piko is always on the look out, searching for, unreleased titles that could be completed (such as Dorke & Ymp) and finally released, not just on the aforementioned platforms either.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Just going to leave this here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	janus.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	8596

Edit: Jinx!

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

I can confirm that Janus is Mark thanks to 'her' info used when registering on DP. Didn't try to hide anything at all.
    Last edited by PapaStu; 03-07-2016 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Accidentally put Mike, not Mark
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OMG! I'm shocked!!! Shocked I say!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

why try and hide anything when a lie is perpetuated this heavily? shit is hardcore pathetic. mark kaminski, you're a real piece of work.
    Last edited by shawnphase; 03-07-2016 at 04:06 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by shawnphase View Post
    why try and hide anything when a lie is perpetuated this heavily? shit is hardcore pathetic. mike kaminski, you're a real piece of work.
    Hardcore pathetic indeed.

...and it's MARK Kaminski. Let's make sure when people Google his name they get the real story.