Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP RetroVGS/Coleco Chameleon: Retro Console Epic Disaster (2015-2016)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

corrected for troof.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

And lifting an avatar from someone's G+ page to propagate their lie further. We're done with Janus here. **banned**
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stardust4ever View Post
    @Oldschoolgamer, video is private.
    Yeah I am aware.

It is not my video, the creator switched it to "Private" sometime after posting, shit happens.

I was there when Janus got booted from the Chameleon thread. She's still not banned on the forum and I hope she can be active and productive in the other threads. Main issue she didn't vocalize her thoughts properly. But Janus, I don't think you were deliberately trolling, just misunderstood.

Heh, you were saying?
    Last edited by OldSchoolGamer; 03-07-2016 at 05:00 PM.
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

LA (not the city, but the state next to Texas)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was there when Janus got booted from the Chameleon thread. She's still not banned on the forum and I hope she can be active and productive in the other threads. Main issue she didn't vocalize her thoughts properly. But Janus, I don't think you were deliberately trolling, just misunderstood.

@Oldschoolgamer, video is private.
    Guess I was wrong about Janus...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247...ons/?p=3462108

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolGamer View Post

Heh, you were saying?
    DERP.
    Last edited by stardust4ever; 03-07-2016 at 10:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Bunny's retroavs seems nice, but I still think the asking price of just under $200 is high for a one off system. At that rate I'd rather just own the original hardware. At that price I need the swiss army knife approach to be enticing to buy like the emulated retron 5 does. I'm not knocking it, it's great it's in 720p but it offers me nothing I can't do already without 720p and still sharp thanks to the good tv I have with no lag issues.
    Did I fail to mention the AVS works with flash carts and homebrew, something the Retron5 or Retrofreak never will. Given the $400 price tag on the comparable Game Tech HDMI mod, the AVS ain't such a bad deal. I'd rather keep my NES stock composite and buy a new toy.

Read about the developments here, in this thread announced on Jan 1st, 2013.
    http://nintendoage.com/auth/forum/me...threadid=92557

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    Even though I think bunnyboy is a putz, $200 is not high for high end, upscaled NES gaming. Considering the swiss army approach for real systems can run you $300+ just for a Kevtris HDMI kitted NES, it's not bad. Or you can go full retard and spend even more like I did to run every system you have through a XRGB. But my god, everything is so perfect.
    This. The SRGB Mini is IMO a ripoff at $300+, plus I'd need to mod most of my game systems to get the best possible RGB image. For me, it's either RF. composite or HDMI, because I don't even have a display that takes RGB without buying a bunch of expensive upscaler crap that only adds lag.

Looking at all the extra equipment I would have to buy, the option to just buy a new console that does HDMI out is great. I love my Retro Freak, but Retron5/RF and the like simply don't work with NES homebrew or the vast majority of repros due to mapper hell. Most 16-bit games don't use mappers or enhancement chips, but there are still some games it just won't read. So while I'm keeping my original systems and tube TVs (IMO the best way to experience retro systems and the only way to play lightgun games) and the AVS or any other new system built out of all new parts that come out whicht might run games natively (not emulation) and output HDMI.

I'm tired of half-assed clone shit. Whenever someone comes up with a real clone system that has the same love and care of passion for our hobby, we as a community need to support it.
    Last edited by stardust4ever; 03-07-2016 at 10:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by triverse View Post
    Hold on, are you saying Mike took money from publishers/developers in return for writing content about those games in the magazine?
    I have heard this too. Do we have actual confirmation of these rumours from an insider?
    Last edited by stardust4ever; 03-07-2016 at 10:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Stardust I don't read NA anymore sorry and don't plan to unless re-invited.

Now funny I guess it's word play, but I see Janus, then I see anus, I think ass, j-ass, jack ass...yup that fits.

That's pretty bad acting like a woman, stealing a random image, and then posting like that while being dumb enough admin viewable side not to hide your tracks at all. But I will add, I guess we should be honored, the site it still considered big leagues enough for a tool like that to sign up and try and play damage control.

I did follow bunny's work when I was on the site. I guess since I have zero cares for scoreboard, and with the kid around, I value the instant save at menu feature along with the HDMI the R5 offers, but if I didn't need that anymore I'd still use stock systems as I am just fine viewing them as the makers intended and not overly sharp. If they had an 80s/90s filter on there that didn't look like 2xsai/eagle muddy shat I'd use it.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    I can confirm that Janus is Mark thanks to 'her' info used when registering on DP. Didn't try to hide anything at all.
    I would assume he did try to cover it up but messed up, because that's the same quality devoted to the Retro VGS console. They try but can't help themselves from making horrible mistakes and outright lying at every opportunity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hold on, are you saying Mike took money from publishers/developers in return for writing content about those games in the magazine?

I went through the KS page to to check, and I think what was implied was that a certain tier pledger could choose a game for them to review (as in "Hey! I pledged $$$, can you review 007 Racing?"). NOT they were taking money from devs for stories.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I would assume he did try to cover it up but messed up, because that's the same quality devoted to the Retro VGS console. They try but can't help themselves from making horrible mistakes and outright lying at every opportunity.

Not in the slightest. When it was mark@..... there wasn't anything but some derp involved with that. If they didn't have access to the email, they'd not have been able to verify the username and start posting. He just wasn't expecting us to take a look at it.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Stardust I don't read NA anymore sorry and don't plan to unless re-invited.
    Not trying to drudge up past bygones, but a number of fairly decent people have been raked through the coals with Nitendoage's ban now and ask questions later approach. A number of good guys on here at Digit Press are past NA forum members who for whatever reason had one little fuck up with the mods or screwed up with one deal gone south, and are permanently banned or HOS. You mouthed off once; I think Satoshi Matrix had a deal go south, and Piko contacted an eBay seller regarding a prototype he sold, and was accused of backdooring and insta-banned. All three people whom I have good respect for, and I tried to defend Piko by linking to a podcast he did regarding his involvement with Mike Kennedy / RVGS, and quickly got corrected by the naysayers.
    http://nintendoage.com/forum/message...hreadid=141995

I also got chastised publicly a couple months back for sharing my detailed text review of the 150-in-1 NES cart I picked up on Aliexpress like I'm some sort of pirate or bootlegger while they openly sell repros in the community. Bunch of hypocrites.
    http://nintendoage.com/forum/message...hreadid=157123

Honestly I spend a lot more time on AtariAge lately, but I mainly use Nintendoage to keep posted on new products and homebrews related to the NES scene and post replies in relevant threads. I'm not as hardcore collector and I tire sometimes of searching NA by latest post to see what's going on and see page after page of people trying to sell me their shit.

Regardless, I need to browse DP more often. Take care Tanooki and sorry if I'm OT...

There isn't much to discuss until at least Thursday or thereafter when Coleco either publishes the results of Mike Kennedy's "prototype inspection" or revokes the license to use their brand. Honestly I'm kind of glad. The AA thread has been moving way too rapidly and a guy's gotta sleep and live their life sometime.
    Last edited by stardust4ever; 03-08-2016 at 02:40 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post

I went through the KS page to to check, and I think what was implied was that a certain tier pledger could choose a game for them to review (as in "Hey! I pledged $$$, can you review 007 Racing?"). NOT they were taking money from devs for stories.
    Correct on what I meant. I think those people will never see their requested title featured, thus getting ripped off. Inexcusable.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

I think Satoshi Matrix had a deal go south, and Piko contacted an eBay seller regarding a prototype he sold, and was accused of backdooring and insta-banned.
    I have little experience with NA due to not being a big Nintendo collector. In all honesty I don't know of any decent forums that will allow you to continue to participate after you break specific, well defined rules like those two specific accounts you mentioned. Rip someone off? Banned. Shady, hypocritical scenarios while hiding behind the goodguy badge? Banned.

I've heard dozens of tales about how certain NA mods do conduct themselves poorly and ban access to people that might not be justified but I don't know if those two specific instances are good examples of unjustified actions. It shouldn't be personal; one shouldn't be banned because you don't like them personally but on the other hand one shouldn't get by with breaking rules because they're just a swell guy.

The personalities behind the RVGS seem to have contributed to the hobby and had fairly good reputations until this one instance yet everyone's calling for their head on a pike. In that sense shouldn't they be given a free pass since nobody's perfect?*

Insert Coin (Level 0) fultonbot's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Weird. I just noticed that MK "unfriended" me on Facebook.

I've tried to stay pretty neutral about this CC thing, checking Facebook a couple times a day to see if there have been any updates on the RVGS page of MK's page hoping that there would be some snippet of news that would show that this has all been a misunderstanding.

I'm sure it was some kind of mass "unfriending" and not personal, but I felt like "hey, I've only ever been supportive, what gives?"

I honestly want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, but it gets harder and harder and harder each day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fultonbot View Post
    Weird. I just noticed that MK "unfriended" me on Facebook.

I've tried to stay pretty neutral about this CC thing, checking Facebook a couple times a day to see if there have been any updates on the RVGS page of MK's page hoping that there would be some snippet of news that would show that this has all been a misunderstanding.

I'm sure it was some kind of mass "unfriending" and not personal, but I felt like "hey, I've only ever been supportive, what gives?"

I honestly want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, but it gets harder and harder and harder each day.
    Friends and Likes on Facebook are meaningless. I wouldn't pay too much attention. Mike has been for a long time now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Not trying to drudge up past bygones, but a number of fairly decent people have been raked through the coals with Nitendoage's ban now and ask questions later approach.
    I know, you're fine, I don't mind, and been over it. Truth be told, last year I got tracked down by one of their newer mods for a retrousb cart I own, and he wanted it very badly and had no other leads so I sold him it. In that we got to talking, one thing happened and then another, and I ended up in a chit chat with me, him, and BA for a good hour or so. At first it was pure snark, got around to talking and hashing things out, and what's done is done, things as far as I know are forgiven, but as far as the site goes nothing has changed and while it may one day, it is what it is now. They can do as they like, I just got over lurking sites so I don't visit them if I can't use them as it's pointless. I did that here for a long on/off stretch then eventually registered, just as I made a reddit account awhile back so I could mess with the Gameboy page on there and a few others. I'm not surprised you'd get slammed on the 150in1 cart though, just because if anything it's a new item made now and because it has like 90% of the high dollar desirable $100+ licensed NES games on it which I'm sure a collector would not be amused with at all. I see no harm in a write up though, and as you said, they shelp repros (bootlegs) there which are no different.

I can't speak for Satoshi, but the Piko one I was fully aware of being friends with the guy. All he does for his business is track down prototypes and buys them and buys from the orignal IP holders the rights of distribution or total rights to the entire property for his business. In the case which got him popped he was chasing a prototype. No backdoor would have been involved, he would have gone to the new owner and tried to make a deal. That's the usual, there are cases I imagine where it could go further, say if he owned the IP entirely but didn't have the code due to the prototype being lost/stolen and if he could track it down he could either make a deal with that guy or legally threaten them since he owns it but that would be relatively rare I think.

Az fair enough, but the instances he gave were decent but I get your point. And I think they should have been given leeway because sometimes shit happens bluntly put. But, at this rate given you've had potentially 3 errant fraud console prototypes made so far and a lot of back pedaling, ignoring, NDA threats, and the rest that good will has gone death valley all dried up.

And yes...I'd love to see what comes of Thursday. I don't have a stake in it, but I am curious as all get out as far as the evidence being reviewed and Coleco's verdict on the matters as they I really doubt will be quiet about it as their rep is being soiled.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry for stirring up old shit. I really missed you Tanooki when they axed you. You livened up a lot of topics. I don't do a lot of selling or buying on NintendoAge, mostly I sometimes buy the new homebrew games from vendors when they come out, and since I'm more of a gamer rather than a collector, sometimes I'll downgrade and sell an LE edition to buy the RE, pocket the difference, and buy more homebrews with it. For instance, I sold my RetroUSB Mr Gimmick for $250 and bought an INL repro of the Japan version with the AY sound chip for $52. I came out with some great CIB homebrews from AtariAge, Zippy and Star Castle, and some NES gear. Beer Slinger from Greeting Carts, and Halloween '85. Five homebrews for one, and got a better version of Gimmick. Fair trade market value from a collector's point of view, but as a gamer, it felt like I made out like a bandit!

I think we've gotten OT a bit, and I can't wait to see what happens come Thursday. Either Mike will submit another shoddy prototype, or he'll go into hiding if he hasn't already. It will be funny to see whether he stays in hiding or comes out after Coleco revokes their contract. I actually hope that some money changed hands between mike and Coleco. Karma would be a bitch if Mike gets sued. Also the way he shuffles money back and forth between his own LLCs is borderline money laundering. Put whatever assets are left back into Game Gavel and Retro Mag before his Chameleon sham goes bankrupt. Retro Mag is also likely beyond saving now as most of it's staff have taken off like a bat out of hell. He would also be wise to auction off his Jag/Dental molds on Game Gavel no reserve. Get rid of them because it's toxic. Throw it into the pits of Mordor if you have to.
    Last edited by stardust4ever; 03-08-2016 at 11:30 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Engadget.com-

Coleco officially pulls its name from the Chameleon
    It's time to abandon ship.

"Last month the Coleco Chameleon showed up at Toy Fair promising a taste of retro-gaming glory. But those promises have come to naught after a non-start to its Kickstarter and numerous accusations regarding faked prototypes. Today the Chameleon suffers another blow as Coleco Holdings, the company with the rights to the Coleco name and properties, has terminated its association with RetroVGS and the Chameleon project.
    Coleco partner Chris Cardillo gave Engadget the following statement, which will also appear on Coleco's Facebook page:

"Retro has decided that the work that they have created is not sufficient to demonstrate at this time. Consequently, we can no longer proceed with the project and the Chameleon project will be terminated. This separation is amicable. We wish Retro luck in the future."

This isn't the only blow RetroVGS has suffered in the past week: On Saturday David Giltinan, the managing editor of RetroVGS's RETRO Magazine, announced his departure from the company. He cited the ongoing issues with the Chameleon as the impetus behind his leaving, saying "I have to separate myself from everything associated with it." Though he conceded poor messaging from RetroVGS, he also asserted that there was "no ill intent or maliciousness on the part of the team."

We've reached out to RetroVGS for comment on the future of the project."

http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/08/c...medium=twitter
    Last edited by buzz_n64; 03-08-2016 at 12:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

stardust thanks. Never know what will happen down the line right? I don't do much buying anymore either other than GB stuff and Genesis, I've kind of become more choosy so I try and finish stuff and I moved on last year getting pinball machines and LEGO and this year into G1 Transformers as they hold my interest building/transforming them. Funny you bring up Gimmick, a little over a week ago was the first time in years I bought a NES game for myself, the local ma 'n pa got an INL new board, nice shell nice sticker copy of that and I snapped it up for $40. It's not bad, hard, very hard until you're comfy with the star mechanics and the inertia/physics involved as it's way different. It's not to say I don't buy old Nintendo stuff anymore, but call it as you will, if I do it's to flip to get stuff I do want and it's very unstable and unreliable when it pops up so I don't even bother to rely on it or make the effort other than being places it could show up.

Yeah we got off topic. But as buzz just put it, guess Coleco didn't feel like waiting another day -- knife in, twist, and pulled out. Mikey's going to bleed out over this one as they just lost their cash cow, their branding, and if there were any good will or supporters left they'll drop off too with that rug being pulled out. Serves them right for trying to con a business and a crap load of gamers who aren't stupid enough to fall for it. As others have said, you don't pull that crap with an informed group who know how to spot fakes and can use even minimally a soldering gun and other tools to keep old electronic games alive.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Good. Maybe now we can close the book on this circus and everyone involved can move on with their lives.