Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP RetroVGS/Coleco Chameleon: Retro Console Epic Disaster (2015-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ehh, that one last piece he put up there, the bit with Coleco holdings. If that's a legit quote there, let's wait until the 9th and see if they set them on fire or not for fraud. Everything else is just granstanding and speculation even if it may be right. Coleco won't go down in flames over this and would I think refuse to.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Here's the catch, Flamdini--it doesn't matter. Look, it's a 99% certainty that there was a Super Nintendo inside that shell. But let's say it's the 1% and for whatever crazy reason it was just the ass end being used for power and video. That makes these guys incompetent. Either they've produced nothing or they've produced nonsense. Neither scenario demonstrates they have the ability to handle this undertaking. It's six of one, half dozen of the other. Either way this has to stop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flamdini View Post
    See, you keep saying this but they already offered an explanation for the SNES gambit (power supply and video, like I speculated!!!) and I'm sure they'll have an explanation for this. You act like it's 100% CONFIRMED GUYS EXPOSED EXPOSED and it's not.
    Even if their explanation was true, that's NOT what they showed a pic of on the 29th. Hell, even in Sept. of last year they were claiming they had a working prototype. See bullet #2 of THIS post. That was 6 months ago and in that time they weren't able to figure out how to provide their own power or output a video signal without using an SNES? Seems a little suspect, doesn't it? It would a helluva lot harder to incorporate an SNES pwr+A/V instead of just doing your own because you'd be wasting a lot of time.
    Last edited by fluid_matrix; 03-04-2016 at 12:37 AM.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Well from the look of things, Flamdini isn't actually SoCalMike. Not sure if that helps the feels the forum has much towards one of it's newest users, but at least we can be relatively confident that it's either someone who's reaaaaallllly passionate about the Coleco Chameleon, or someone who's trying to buffer the negative that the thread has built up.

I've been peeking back in on the AA thread over the last week or two. While it's become hard to find info within the thread, seeing what Kevtris, BenHeck and others are saying about all of this is has just been incredibly mind opening. When major companies have thrown millions and millions of dollars into systems to see them never make it out or just implode a year or two into it's life, a whole brand new system from a person not in the business of making electronics is the biggest red flag.

I still don't see why people are clamoring for this 'retro style' system. What kind of support are they truly expecting besides something that will never ever be remotely close as to what's been hyped.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

LA (not the city, but the state next to Texas)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Go fly a kite Flamdini. The writing on the wall is clear as day and any simple Google search will lay the facts out. Photographic proof was presented for the DVR card, and unless the prototype was an SNES mini with the CPU removed and an FPGA in it's place, you can bet your ass it was just an SNES mini in there. They've been through this before with the RetroVGS. paperboard PCB with components placed or glued on. Team Chameleon must really take the community at large for a bunch of morons. And you fell for it. Do not drink their Kool Aid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe you misunderstood me, there was a prototype later but the one shown at E3 was a phony.

There's that young ol' dang ol' plant accusation again. It's like whenever you say something contrary to the contrarians on Youtube comments and get called a troll, only this place thinks it has some sort of quality control.

See, you keep saying this but they already offered an explanation for the SNES gambit (power supply and video, like I speculated!!!) and I'm sure they'll have an explanation for this. You act like it's 100% CONFIRMED GUYS EXPOSED EXPOSED and it's not.

It's not fraud.
    Here's something-

Off of Coleco Holdings' Facebook from yesterday. Wait for March 9th for nothing to happen before you flip out.
    This is absolutely ridiculous. This could have ended days ago if they posted the actual pcb of the "prototype" rather than covering it up with a translucent shell. Of course, they can't, because they don't have a prototype and just used a SNES and a PCI card for them. The burden of proof is on them to prove that they aren't a bunch of liars. As far as I am concerned, yes, it is "100% CONFIRMED GUYS EXPOSED EXPOSED".

If you aren't Mike Kennedy, you must be the most naive person in the world to give them the benefit of the doubt. Congrats.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man, you genius. You complete genius. You did a good job there, implying I'm a plant. That was really original of you. Your mom must be so proud, I'm actually proud by proxy already. You're a genuine credit to the race.
    Y'know...if you want to kill the speculation you could just simply say who you are. I'm betting 99.9% of the members in here would gladly say their real name without hesitating. It's hardly the Justice League in here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hah the justice league.

I'd put this whole thing going on more on the lower level of their B-team the wonder twins.

Wonder Twin powers activate. Form of a 'a raging jackass.' Form of a 'wet blanket.' Seems appropriate at this point.

Banned Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, this will probably be my last post because I had underestimated just how stoogey this board actually was. Later.
    I really want the Coleco Chameleon and I really like Mike. I was a long time listener of his show, gamegavel, RETRO, met him at a expo. He's a nice guy. People are suggesting that he is some evil thief and that is just wrong. I know I'm new here, so I'll probably get booted. People can't stand to believe he has a following.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Janus View Post
    I really want the Coleco Chameleon and I really like Mike. I was a long time listener of his show, gamegavel, RETRO, met him at a expo. He's a nice guy. People are suggesting that he is some evil thief and that is just wrong. I know I'm new here, so I'll probably get booted. People can't stand to believe he has a following.
    Preach it, sista!

In all seriousness, I wanted to believe Mike too. But writing's on the wall. There was a point, in everyone's mind, where the enthusiasm turned into bullshit. For me, it was the paper prototype. But then Mike announced the rebranded Coleco Chameleon, and I said, "let's give him another chance..." Then the SNES Mini at the Toy Fair, then the DVR PCB...

To quote Pat, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, FU!"

Janus, don't be like fooled by the BS. Mike has shat the bed and now he has to sleep in it. We all wanted this to be real, but it's not. You seem really nice person, and please don't take it the wrong way. At this point, there is no redeeming the RVGS/Chameleon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Actually this site doesn't boot people for having an opinion, it will boot them for rule breaking or being a mouth a-hole bad enough it's a disruption to where they need to be removed. You're fine, just don't expect most people in this thread to agree with you, but at least unlike Flamdini there you're not being a complete jerk about it. Mike may be a nice guy in person, have no idea, or maybe he's just a nice guy at shows as a public face too. The only ones who really would know are those stuck in his local area/friends/acquaintances in person who bump into him regularly and none of us are that.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stardust4ever View Post
    Janus, don't be like fooled by the BS. Mike has shat the bed and now he has to sleep in it. We all wanted this to be real, but it's not. You seem really nice person, and please don't take it the wrong way.
    Just an FYI...Janus is a troll from the AA boards. It's just moving over here virus-like. Nothing to see here.

Banned Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Actually this site doesn't boot people for having an opinion, it will boot them for rule breaking or being a mouth a-hole bad enough it's a disruption to where they need to be removed. You're fine, just don't expect most people in this thread to agree with you, but at least unlike Flamdini there you're not being a complete jerk about it. Mike may be a nice guy in person, have no idea, or maybe he's just a nice guy at shows as a public face too. The only ones who really would know are those stuck in his local area/friends/acquaintances in person who bump into him regularly and none of us are that.
    Thanks for the welcome Tanooki! I'm taking a wait and see approach. If the tech engineer guys say it's fake, I'll believe that. I'm not technical at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't even think they deserve the benefit of the doubt anymore, but I'm also about hard evidence. The stuff out there so far which isn't hard to get at is fairly damning, but considering it's Coleco on the line for these shenanigans with their name and logo on it, I'm sure if it's pure BS which is probably the case, they'll grind the project to a halt if not sue Mike and friends for defrauding their company and the public at large. The 9th is only 5 days off so I'm taking a wait and see approach.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Janus View Post
    If the tech engineer guys say it's fake, I'll believe that. I'm not technical at all.
    I dont think you have to be technical to put 2 and 2 together here, they just threw some random computer part inside a clear shell. Im not technical either but its obvious the photo was not of a real, working, original video game system.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I don't even think they deserve the benefit of the doubt anymore,
    They really dont. They dont have anything substantial to show anyone and they are intentionally trying to fool people with all this fake crap.
    The sad truth is that laughing about this whole mess is alot more fun than playing the actual system will be (if it ever gets made).
    Last edited by bb_hood; 03-04-2016 at 04:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cav View Post
    Just an FYI...Janus is a troll from the AA boards. It's just moving over here virus-like. Nothing to see here.
    I was there when Janus got booted from the Chameleon thread. She's still not banned on the forum and I hope she can be active and productive in the other threads. Main issue she didn't vocalize her thoughts properly. But Janus, I don't think you were deliberately trolling, just misunderstood.

@Oldschoolgamer, video is private.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    triverse

For anyone interested, here is an article I wrote that actually brought down my site due to sudden traffic and data transfer earlier this week. It collects everything from the big AtariAge thread discussing the third fake shown on the day of the Kickstarter's supposed start date.

http://retrogamingmagazine.com/2016/...aming-sleuths/

Also, for those interested in hearing more about what was going on around the time leading up to the failed IndieGoGo can head over to the Retro Gaming Roundup site to read my interview with John Carlsen (I believe he was engineer #3 in the linup). For the interest of having pertinent, key, pieces of information on one site, I am working with the RGR team to host it (I will post it on my site sometime Sunday after the hoopla has died down a bit).

http://retrogamingroundup.com/blog/?p=1233

For anyone interested in listening to a really good episode of Retro Gaming Roundup (they all are pretty good) that covers A LOT of the stuff around the time of the Toy Fair, Kickstarter and such from behind the scenes, listen to this interview that Eli of Piko Interactive did today:

http://retrogamingroundup.com/blog/?p=1229

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The fallout continues... David G. who works on Retro the magazine as an editing manager, just announced he sent Mike his resignation letter. The dominos keep falling

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    The fallout continues... David G. who works on Retro the magazine as an editing manager, just announced he sent Mike his resignation letter. The dominos keep falling
    Link?