Thread: Controller Variants for Original XBox

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Controller Variants for Original XBox

A quote from the Xbox capacitor thread reminded me of a persistent problem I've wanted to fix/explore:

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    I can't agree with that. The Xbox versions of multiplatform games almost always look considerably better than their PS2/GameCube counterparts, and more importantly, nearly everything supports 480p as a minimum standard, with many games also offering widescreen and a few even going up to 720p. Add to that the enormous potential of homebrew with CoinOps running everything through 720p component natively and the Xbox is something that sits nice and comfortably near my modern consoles.

Progressive scan makes a huge difference compared to the interlaced standard of almost all PS2 and GameCube games. Plus there are the exclusives and ability to copy game discs you own right to the harddrive, enabling much faster load times. The Xbox is a great system to have. The only real advantage the PS2 has over it are the exclusives, but because nearly everything runs in 480i max, I see "PS2 only" as more of a bad thing than a good thing.
    I love running emulators and homebrew on my OG Xbox. However, the controller, especially the D-Pad, doesn't always make for intuitive controls on the emulators.

Are there any variants or controllers that make it easier to play these games? I am aware and just ordered the Saturn-like SF Anniversary controller: http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Street-Fi.../dp/B00095NAMG (there is a Bison one as well). However, I am having a heck of a time finding any other variants. Is there a product out there I am unaware of?

Also, discuss XBox homebrew if you so desire.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Are you using a Duke or Controller S? The controller S has a great D-pad, though I do find the controller in general to be less than optimal for emulation, just because of the general design, not the D-pad itself. If the D-pad and left stick changed positions, it would probably be better, but if ifs and buts were candies and nuts...

Honestly the best pad for emulators that I used was a launch era MadCatz pad. It had a good, cross style D-pad, it had white and black buttons layed out in very decent way for using it as a 6-button controller in Genesis emulation, and it long predated the Controller-S so really it only had the Duke to compare to and it was a lot more comfortable than that. Problems. Felt cheap, and the right trigger wound up breaking, so I replaced it with a controller S.

The controller you ordered looks good, but some emulators map things like f-fwd or going back to the menu to analog sticks, so it won't do for those unless you can remap. Also, one of the reviews there says the d-pad is not good, (though he might be trolling or have gotten a bad unit) but I guess you'll find out.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    A quote from the Xbox capacitor thread reminded me of a persistent problem I've wanted to fix/explore:

I love running emulators and homebrew on my OG Xbox. However, the controller, especially the D-Pad, doesn't always make for intuitive controls on the emulators.

Are there any variants or controllers that make it easier to play these games? I am aware and just ordered the Saturn-like SF Anniversary controller: http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Street-Fi.../dp/B00095NAMG (there is a Bison one as well). However, I am having a heck of a time finding any other variants. Is there a product out there I am unaware of?

Also, discuss XBox homebrew if you so desire.
    Can't speak on that one. You're looking for a solid d-pad? The Logitech Wireless has a really nice d-pad and feels like a ps2 controller but it doesn't have the six-button setup if that's what you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe there's also an adapter that allows you to use a PS2 controller on an Xbox or Gamecube if you prefer the PS2's d-pad.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

+1 for the Logitech.

They are great, but the black and white buttons are smaller and recessed compared to the main 4. Only the Duke has them all equal like a 6-button.
    -
    Pete Rittwage
    C64 Preservation Project
    http://c64preservation.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been enjoying the street fighter controller and it appears to function well with almost all emulators, but for some reason I needed to change the breakaway cable that came with it with a cable on an OEM controller. Might have been a defect with mine. Came with the box and sealed comic book too.

Logitech controller seems like a winner as well, so thank you for that! It has that extra benefit of being wireless. Of course, that converter could be fun and reduce the amount of controllers I need sitting out (seems to be $9 shipped on ebay). I might try out all three.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Buy an OEM Controller S. Do not get any of those third party knock offs. The Xbox Controller S has an excellent d-pad, the best one between all of the consoles of the sixth gen from Dreamcast, PS2, GameCube or Xbox.

If you really want something more Nintendo-y, there are adapters out there that let you use an SNES controller on the Xbox. I even reviewed one on my youtube channel. Google search my youtube channel and then look around for the SNES on Xbox controller adapter review.

but by and large, the Xbox Controller S is where it's at.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    The controller S has a great D-pad...
    Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    The Xbox Controller S has an excellent d-pad...
    If by great you mean "constantly hitting the diagonal on accident because when you press a cardinal direction the adjacent buttons are on a hair trigger"; then yes, I agree.

EDIT: Never mind. I was thinking of the 360 pad.
    Last edited by RP2A03; 10-26-2015 at 05:45 PM.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    If by great you mean "constantly hitting the diagonal on accident because when you press a cardinal direction the adjacent buttons are on a hair trigger"; then yes, I agree.
    Sounds like you're using a 360 pad, as that doesn't happen on my controller S but all the time on my 360 pad (slightly less on the 360 pad with transformable d-pad, yet still far more than on the controller S, which is never).

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    Sounds like you're using a 360 pad, as that doesn't happen on my controller S but all the time on my 360 pad (slightly less on the 360 pad with transformable d-pad, yet still far more than on the controller S, which is never).
    Oops. I was thinking of the 360 pad. Just tested my controller S and had no problem navigating menus.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Right. The dpad of the controller s is significantly better than the 360 dpad.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/