Thread: RPGs with different story branches.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Default RPGs with different story branches.

What are all the RPGs with branching paths? Something like Tactics Ogre or Growlanser 2 where you make a choice that changes the outcome of the game while offering additional content or Fire Emblem the Sacred Stones where you play through the same storyline, but almost the entire game is completely different up until the end since you play as a different character. Don't include games like Arc the Lad Twilight of Spirits, Dragon Quest 4, Suikoden 3, SaGa Frontier 2, or Wild ARMs where the additional story arcs you play through are chapters you're required to play through. Star Ocean 2 is a bit different as you do choose the character at the beginning of the game, but as the other character you're only missing a small part of what you are seeing as the other character, not something like Sacred Stones where there's around 15 hours before the players meet up. I'm also not including Brigandine because it's just a take over the map kind of game and every character starts at their specific location on the map, just player or AI controlled. Or if you do include other games, include them in a separate list with an explanation of what they include.

Dark Wizard - Choose a character
    Disgaea PSP - Choose a character.
    Disgaea 3 - Choose a character. DLC or Vita only.
    Fire Emblem The Sacred Stones - Choose a character.
    Front Mission 3 - Completely different storyline depending on your answer at the beginning of the game.
    Growlanser 2 - Several, I don't remember them off the top of my head though.
    Kartia - Choose a character.
    Romancing SaGa - Choose a character.
    Romancing SaGa 2 - Choose a character.
    Romancing SaGa 3 - Choose a character.
    SaGa Frontier - Choose a character.
    Threads of Fate - Choose a character.
    Unlimited Saga - Choose a character.
    Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together - Three routes, two branching routes at the beginning, a third that branches off one.
    Vanguard Bandits - Three routes, two branching routes at the beginning, a third that branches off one.

Maybe someone can confirm Seiken Densetsu 3. I know you can start as different characters but does each character have a different story they play through or do you choose the character and is the storyline the same?
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most Shin Megami Tensai games have Lawful, Neutral, and Chaos story paths. Though generally this doesn't affect game progression until the very late game.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Most Shin Megami Tensai games have Lawful, Neutral, and Chaos story paths. Though generally this doesn't affect game progression until the very late game.
    Those aren't really what I'm talking about. Those really only effect some short end game segment. I'm talking about games that have just about as much extra content in a different path or series of paths as if you were playing the same game, but another game or even several games in some cases, worth of content.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Phantasy Star III was the first one I ever recall encountering. At the end of the first two segments of the game, you choose a mate and have different offspring.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Chrono Cross has a few events that branch. It doesn't affect the story all that much but it does result in a few different party members.

Obviously Mass Effect is a big one, as well as most of the BioWare catalog.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Chrono Trigger was another somewhat early one as you could pick to do various eras in time or not and when to attempt to take down Lavos. Also probably the best reason next to getting bored with it why I never finished, I hate multiple ending RPGs as they're already time consuming enough as it is already.