Thread: Limited Run Games (producing physical copies of digital games)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Not to defend their actions, but where can a company go to in 2024 to find a manufacturer that still masters CD-ROMs? I can't imagine there would be any CD-ROM pressers left. Embracer Group are fairly crappy, but I can't believe they had a lot of options. They probably had to build their own CD reproduction set-up to make their own CD-Rs. They really should have informed people before they paid for the games. I can download a 3DO game and burn it to a CD myself, I don't need to spend a pile of cash and wait for months for delivery to play the game in a console.
    Just search for "CD replication" and you'll find dozens if not hundreds of companies that offer the service of manufacturing pressed discs. In 2024 you can still get custom cassette tapes or VHS tapes duplicated professionally from certain manufacturers, CDs/DVDs/Blurays aren't a problem.

I spent 2 minutes searching on google and found several companies, I'll just post a link to one that specifically mentions CD-ROM replication. They offer CD-ROM replication which is factory pressed, or CD duplication which is burned. So far I just looked at companies that are actually near my area, there are tons out there.

http://www.cdmanufacturing.ca/dvd_replication.php

Another quick search, floppy disk duplication is still available.

https://www.dclmediaprints.com/colle...sk-duplication

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Just search for "CD replication" and you'll find dozens if not hundreds of companies that offer the service of manufacturing pressed discs. In 2024 you can still get custom cassette tapes or VHS tapes duplicated professionally from certain manufacturers, CDs/DVDs/Blurays aren't a problem.

I spent 2 minutes searching on google and found several companies, I'll just post a link to one that specifically mentions CD-ROM replication. They offer CD-ROM replication which is factory pressed, or CD duplication which is burned. So far I just looked at companies that are actually near my area, there are tons out there.

http://www.cdmanufacturing.ca/dvd_replication.php

Another quick search, floppy disk duplication is still available.

https://www.dclmediaprints.com/colle...sk-duplication
    Dying businesses: I was backing up my video DVDs and some were unreadable. Attempts to find a place nearby that would resurface discs for the public didn't turn out. The local Half-Price Books told me no, and when I called up another business recommended by a Google search, they told me it wasn't offered anymore. Had the demand for the equipment/training to use it failed by this point as people were more accustomed to streaming services?

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Look, I really don't care one way or the other, but why exactly are people BUYING these games? They can be burned and played on any 3DO as it is, if you don't have an original copy. I recognize LRG releases are "collectible" and need to be sealed in most cases, so does it matter if they put a CD of Spice Girls in the case?
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    Dying businesses: I was backing up my video DVDs and some were unreadable. Attempts to find a place nearby that would resurface discs for the public didn't turn out. The local Half-Price Books told me no, and when I called up another business recommended by a Google search, they told me it wasn't offered anymore. Had the demand for the equipment/training to use it failed by this point as people were more accustomed to streaming services?
    Maybe those business are dying but they're not actually dead yet. LRG could have had the discs made from one of the businesses that still exist.

Also, disc resurfacing is different than disc manufacturing. It's like saying buying new TVs is near impossible as there's few repair shops offering to repair TVs anymore. Personally I also find it difficult to find any place locally that resurfaces discs anymore, there was a local used CD store I asked and was told that they send out discs to a place for resurfacing but this isn't an option they make available to customers.

Something else to consider concerning your DVDs, many DVDs are starting to suffer from disc rot and are becoming unplayable. This is mostly with a selection of specific Warner Bros discs that were made during a specific time period all from the same manufacturing plant. The same issue affects discs from other companies as well, including a large number of Disney Treasures releases. I'm getting nervous buying older DVDs now.

Here's a link to a list of affected Warner Bros titles by the way, there's probably even more that aren't listed yet.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...apl_0LTmN/edit

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Look, I really don't care one way or the other, but why exactly are people BUYING these games? They can be burned and played on any 3DO as it is, if you don't have an original copy. I recognize LRG releases are "collectible" and need to be sealed in most cases, so does it matter if they put a CD of Spice Girls in the case?
    The people buying them are the OCD collectors who need every release and ebay resellers, it's LRG's target demographic.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    That's the problem. LRG takes advantage of the fact that many people won't open the games, so they think no one will notice when they pull stuff like this. Nobody who received these CD-Rs knew they would be getting a CD-R. There are people who open and play LRG's releases and people who value having an "official", legal release. (I use quotes because LRG's rereleases of old games aren't licensed by the hardware manufacturers, but they are made with the involvement of the game's publisher.) In the case of Plumbers Don't Wear Ties, LRG's release was cheaper than buying the original secondhand these days.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I have some affected Warner DVDs. I have the full Animaniacs set, was wondering why some discs were bad. The Goonies must've been an affected print (opened a sealed copy I've for a long time and hadn't gotten to watching), my local library has a copy of a different print run that still played. That Vacation/European Vacation was unfortunate, on my copy the side with the former was affected but the second was still readable. I have A Pup Named Scooby Doo bad as well.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    I have some affected Warner DVDs. I have the full Animaniacs set, was wondering why some discs were bad. The Goonies must've been an affected print (opened a sealed copy I've for a long time and hadn't gotten to watching), my local library has a copy of a different print run that still played. That Vacation/European Vacation was unfortunate, on my copy the side with the former was affected but the second was still readable. I have A Pup Named Scooby Doo bad as well.
    I've watched a video on that by retroblasting it's rather mess up early 2000's to 2009 warner bros had a defective run of dvds.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3ovUB-OavE

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    A patch of soil where I have to pay taxes even after owning it.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I do not care what some insane person thinks about another insane person. What reason would he have to play "Inspector Butters" on what crap she was talking about. Everybody loves the "Harry Potter" game even people like me who do not care about the series at all. Saying there are no LGBT characters in a series is stupid, when we grew up loving series that literally discriminated in secrecy like "Startrek".
    Anyhows we get this nonsense because LRG have to sell out to a big-wig company bowing to the insanity of micro-agressions. AKA loss of freedom of speech