Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nov 3 - I got a Genesis, now about those games? (was the CDX was it worth it thread)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Seems all kinds of time period hit and miss. I know there were dummied items and some skills like the Wave skill of Cecils, that skill and the like I'd consider the only fair losses. The translation isn't awesome but it's by far not the worst either and it's definitely not SNK level engrish either. The point was usually these translations aren't that great and people get butt hurt over the company works and set out on some crusade to do it right and ultimately, perhaps it takes time after, you see it really wasn't all that good nor worth it. Removal of stuff like in FF2/4 is one thing, that sucks, but translation pick and choose is pretty lame.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Nitpick, but I will never understand why people insist on using terms like "FF2US" to refer to Final Fantasy IV. It's an obsolete, needlessly confusing term--especially since both the real FF2 and the real FF4 have been re-released on many different platforms under their correct numberings, and I have literally seen people who thought they were the same game due to fans who insist on using terms like "FF2US." I simply see no reason to treat the SNES as if its the norm and all the re-translations as if they're the oddballs.

Anyway, back on topic.

I'm almost finished with the PSP version of Final Fantasy IV (after which I may tackle its two sequels, included on the PSP release) and I'm having the exact same sentiments as Tanooki. To be fair this translation gets across some nuances and subtleties that were lost in the SNES take--Edge's flirting came off as just weird "huh?" moments on the SNES, and the PSP makes it clear that Rydia is exasperated with his efforts--but in general, if you know the story one way, all that really changed was a choice of word here and there. Gameplay is another matter as the game is slightly more complex... slightly. That said I do like the PSP version for a number of little things, such as it actually having descriptions of weapons and armor including letting you know what benefits and effects they might have, such as absorbing magical attacks or whatever, whereas the SNES version you had to experiment and were never entirely sure. The PSP version really is the definitive version of the game if you ask me.

As for Phantasy Star II I actually played the retranslation once, and I remember the text seeming.... well, a little more dignified somehow, and also characters having completely different names (Rolf was called Eusis), but I never got far enough in either version to really appreciate any major differences. There's a re-translation of the first Phantasy Star too, which I'll need to check out. Supposedly the big change there is that Noah was actually a guy named Lutz in the Japanese version... which in my opinion means Sega's original localization might be better, because I kinda dislike the thought of Alis being the only girl in the group (though then again, is Myau a male or a female? Who knows?)

Incidentally I just learned that there's a Taiwanese pirate version of Phantasy Star IV... on the NES! Scroll to the bottom Sadly, there doesn't seem to be a re-translation of Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It's a valid nitpick, but the problem is I wasn't even thinking that. My problem is that ever since they released FF2 the famicom game on the US GBA it has been a source of confusion, just as it has been with FF3US vs the 3 on DS in Nintendo circles and a little earlier with the PS1 CDs.

Yeah that tweak to the later FF4 versions GBA and I think PS1 included did put +/- ratings on a row of all the players in your party and they'd do the victory dance if it was equippable and a worth adding. That's more of a time than a space thing as it's just a product of its age. FF1 does this, but 1+2 on GBA shows the perks as well. I totally understood that Edge was hitting on Rydia from the get go in the game, and I never found it creepy, she just seemed entirely disinterested and not weirded out by it on the SNES. I know they detailed it more to be a little weirded out in later releases but it was just a change that really didn't make a difference.

Crazy taiwanese and their later games back ported to the NES will never cease to amaze me. PStar4 that one is my list eventually for Genesis. I feel honestly 2 and 3 are just too crusty to keep my interest at this point, and 4 I think I might be able to sit through enough to validate the purchase.

I finally got the last of my Genesis games that were currently out in the mail today DUNE, but I can't mess with it now as the kid just woke up and wanted to use my tv for cartoons. :\ This keeps up I'll need a Nomad again as it was my primary system back in the days.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 11-12-2015 at 01:42 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I usually can't stand random battle games(that aren't in the Suikoden series), and I went through Phantasy Star IV twice in one month. I never feel like playing an RPG a second time around that soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You're tempting me dude. I can't do it either. The only game I came close to doing that with was Final Fantasy II on the SNES back int he day. I didn't re-run it immediately but within the year, and then yearly through the point of the N64 coming out, and every few years after that on it or later (PS1/GBA) releases. I just keep seeing people say PStar4 is where they really got it right to not feel clunky or have some problem to complain about that it feels like something the popular SNES RPG lot would have seen from Square or Enix.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, That's how I took to it anyway. I couldn't tell you how you'll like it. I feel like they pulled off a certain scene much better than the most popular JRPG tried to. I also like that if you know how, weaker characters can contribute to battle by using specific weapons as items, while wearing shields, which boost their defense about as high as the other characters. Then there's the "MACRO" system, which allows you to program actions, outside of battle, so you don't have to select something for each character for every round(though boss battles will most likely still go that way). It's rare, but sometimes your characters will respond directly to an NPC, which helps the world feel a bit more lively, like the Grandia series. Plus they can communicate with each other, which helps you remember your current goal, if you haven't played in a while, or something.

It's not just an improvement over the rest of the series, it's ahead of it's time in a lot of ways, and like Chrono Trigger, it's a shame of lot of it's elements weren't/aren't used more often.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I'd recommend picking up Dark Wizard now that you can play Sega CD games. It has balancing issues the player can take advantage of making it a worse game than Brigandine, a game I deem as a spiritual successor, but's a good TRPG that is relatively cheap because most people don't know about it.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

If you're talking Sega CD, there are a few more worth playing. Not all of these are worth the going rate, but just in case you stumble across them:

Robo Aleste (basically MUSHA II)
    Android Assault
    Keio Flying Squadron
    Flink
    Dungeon Explorer
    Popful Mail
    Lunar
    Lunar 2
    Sol Feace
    Silpheed
    SoulStar
    Dark Wizard
    Sonic CD
    Snatcher
    Rise of the Dragon
    Lords of Thunder
    Shining Force CD (it's essentially a special edition collection of the Game Gear games, and has a more brisk pace as a result)
    Road Avenger
    Time Gal
    Revenge of the Ninja

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I hope you're not talking to me about SCD as I said it was gone and after looking at the prices on anything even semi-decent I don't even want to bother and went with a non-protection chip launch Genesis instead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

That was what I thought, but then I read the post above about Dark Wizard and thought I'd missed something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Just got lucky today as some stuff went up with an obo on ebay. Guy posted a few really decent games, some complete, some just nice carts. Ended up getting 1/3 off the value for both Truxton and Wings of Wor. Those two I anticipate will be fun but not easy in the least bit.

Hey I saw some info about it through google leading back here, but what's the deal exactly with the Tengen games and some of them randomly just imploding so the PCBs fail (but not the chips?) Is it all but like the Sega run Pit Fighter or what, and like what's the odds of getting a crap cart? I'm not saying I'm going to buy Grind Stormer unless some ROM time sells me on it, but I do like Gauntlet IV and both those Dragon's Fury/Revenge games are perfect for me but I fear them being blown. I can barely solder stuff as it is, like wires and battery replacements, but popping and swapping a chip I don't think I could make a solder ball small enough not to bridge a connection, and i also don't have the equipment or supplies to remove it cleanly in the first place.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 11-16-2015 at 08:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Both of those are great, and Wings of Wor has that crazy Choaniki feel to it. Great pickups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thanks. I have been hitting hardcoregaming 101 heavily along with Sega-16 as a backup resource to learn about the games, not just straight reviews and I'm learning of things I think I'd enjoy so I went for them. You're right about the goofiness of WoW, it looks like up my alley to tolerate the abuse for the screwball value of the scenery I noticed in stills. The other I'm aware of with the arcade game of it and it being a fun title, saw it at a flea market 2 weeks back from this reseller who recently setup shop who asks the high pay ebay value even on beat up stuff (and his $45 truxton was ripped and scrapped up pretty bad.)

See my edit for my last post, I'm curious about those Tengen PCBs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I've never experienced any issues with my Tengen games, including Grind Stormer. I don't know if there was a bad batch, but I've not encountered any personally.

With Genesis shooters, you'll do well with pretty much anything Toaplan. Truxton, Grind Stormer, Fire Shark... good stuff. If you haven't yet, I know a lot of people mentioned Phelios from Namco, which is a load of fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Fire Shark and Phelios are on that list I whipped up. The two I nabbed today were not officially but I wasn't blind to a good deal and $50 for the pair is good.

I am not entirely certain but I think as far as the more expensive stuff goes the higher end stuff I'd like now more or less tops out around $40 for a pretty looking quality cart. Stuff like Alisia Dragoon, both Splatterhouses, Phantasy Star IV. Crusader of Centy is on there, but only as an in the wild pipe dream as i'm not paying that on a game anymore than I would equally so for MUSHA. I didn't grow up sega so my mind is clear and not attached to fanboy sentiment so they're easily avoided.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Beyond Oasis is a cheaper alternative to Centy, if you're looking for a Zelda-alike. That game gets slept on. Could never get into Centy, it just felt off and confusing on where to go to next.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That's on my list too. I swear I've played it before, probably on that atgames handheld I had a few years back. I can't remember if it was default installed or I tossed it on there, probably should check the MK model I picked up. Yes that was the motivation a SOM/Zelda-esque type overhead adventure RPG style game.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's crazy about the prices of Centy. Actually owned that game back around the millennium. Right when the prices were on the rise. The old collecting days when things like Turbozone Direct still had new old stock of games for reasonable prices. And before asshats on youtube ruined it. Paid 40 bucks, pretty expensive even back then.

So disappointing to finally get a game you've been wanting to play for years and it turns out you don't like it very much. Another reason I gave up collecting, hunting at flea markets and such. Just not worth it as you get older.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    It's crazy about the prices of Centy. Actually owned that game back around the millennium. Right when the prices were on the rise. The old collecting days when things like Turbozone Direct still had new old stock of games for reasonable prices. And before asshats on youtube ruined it. Paid 40 bucks, pretty expensive even back then.

So disappointing to finally get a game you've been wanting to play for years and it turns out you don't like it very much. Another reason I gave up collecting, hunting at flea markets and such. Just not worth it as you get older.
    Used to love that site, I got quite a few badass TG16/CD games off it from Ninja Spirit, Godzilla, Panic Bomber (J), Cotton, and quite a few others and as you said quite a bit of new things. $40 was a lot, but as I viewed it, it was new and TG16 was still alive somewhere in the world so paying actual period reasonable retail I was happy to given the lack of N64 games worth a crap and me bitterly wanting nothing to do with PS1.

I still collect and hunt, but as you said, it gets stupid as you get older, so I do it for a large selection of things and to get out with some exercise and fresh air away from the house since I've worked at home for 6 years now. If I can see fun stuff and enjoy it cool, if I get something I'd like for myself or if need be something I can sell yet again to get something I need or want, all the better, but it's not going to make or break that day either. If my wife wasn't with her condition and could work a 40 hour week and we had an actual savings account I'd probably still do it, just less regularly as I like the vintage/antique hunting but the games I'd ignore, and I'd go to more expensive stuff or weekend auctions and have the stuff in better shape come to me and not feel nauseous trying to justify a purchase over $20. So as it is stuff like this I do because it's all my shitty budget allows for anymore which is depressing. I can't get another 40hr job on a 2nd shift as I physically wouldn't last long sleeping all the rest and never being around for the kid and my own interests too so I'm stuck.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Man, I wouldn't mind owning Centy.... if anyone wants to sell me one at a discount in January (maybe in December?)...

I never had a problem knowing where to go next. Actually not even sure how that's possible in a game with an overworld map that only lets you visit key points. But hey, if you don't like the game....