Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 Western release canned over sexism concerns

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dashopepper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    Go back to your " safe space". Boo hoo fictional characters are being portrayed in a way I don't like. So violence in games doesn't lead to violent behavior but sexually explicit games lead to sexual assault? Sound logic.
    "Women" are not fictional characters, try leaving the house once in awhile. Also I didn't know DOA Volleyball featured sexual assault, I just figured people thought women were being objectified. Oh well, and it's apparently "be a hard ass on the internet day" today. Must be all that holiday stress...

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

What's the difference if a video game does it or 75% of television, music, other forms of entertainment does it? People have a problem with this on video games, but it's fine for most television shows to be written around a groups sex life or songs about having sex with some slut at a party. The only reason bitches like Anita Sarkeesian and these other social justice warriors are attacking video games is because gaming is the only form of entertainment that is still small enough that they can be heard and won't be entirely ignored. And it's true, because video games have only started in the past couple decades just started getting really big and ingrained into everyday life for a lot of people, it's easier for these people to make their points heard, and in the process fuck people over who actually want to play these games. There's no problem throwing your opinion of the game in a review or something like that, but don't try to scare developers into not releasing their game just because you as a person have a stick up your ass.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 11-27-2015 at 08:14 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dashopepper View Post
    "Women" are not fictional characters, try leaving the house once in awhile. Also I didn't know DOA Volleyball featured sexual assault, I just figured people thought women were being objectified. Oh well, and it's apparently "be a hard ass on the internet day" today. Must be all that holiday stress...
    The women in the games are fictional stop being obtuse. You are the type of person that can never ever see the other side of an argument and has never had to deal with real life problems so you make some up so you feel important. I feel a lock coming up on this thread.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Hyperdimension Neptunia
    I wanted to play the first game in the series because it was a RPG with cool retro game references all over the place... then I found about the sexual content shoehorned into it. (Yes, I know it's mild compared to stuff like Senran Kagura and DOAX, but I don't like girls feeling each other up getting in the way of my RPGs-that-otherwise-sound-awesome!). I even tried watching the first episode of the anime to see if it was any better... short version: nope.

It makes me wonder if it suffered the same fate in development as the anime Kite - where the "sexy" stuff was added in as an afterthought so it would sell.

Back on topic: people are upset about DOAX3 being passed over in the west. I don't really care because I've seen more than I ever wanted to see of the series in the first game until I picked up my DS and started playing some Ace Attorney in an effort to keep my brain from leaking out of my ears.
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by Sailorneorune View Post
    I wanted to play the first game in the series because it was a RPG with cool retro game references all over the place... then I found about the sexual content shoehorned into it. (Yes, I know it's mild compared to stuff like Senran Kagura and DOAX, but I don't like girls feeling each other up getting in the way of my RPGs-that-otherwise-sound-awesome!). I even tried watching the first episode of the anime to see if it was any better... short version: nope.

It makes me wonder if it suffered the same fate in development as the anime Kite - where the "sexy" stuff was added in as an afterthought so it would sell.

Back on topic: people are upset about DOAX3 being passed over in the west. I don't really care because I've seen more than I ever wanted to see of the series in the first game until I picked up my DS and started playing some Ace Attorney in an effort to keep my brain from leaking out of my ears.
    Your focusing too much on individual titles. The point being made here, and what makes this dangerous is that it sets a precedence for every other game.

You don't have to be a fan of DOAX or any game that has strong sexual content, but to deny others that get enjoyment from them is nothing more than being a thought police.

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not saying those kinds of games should not be released. I'm saying that games like Neptunia should have an option to just enjoy the game without the stuff that keeps me away from it. A fanservice toggle button, if you will. I want the retro games and Sega fanservice, but not the "she's 18, we swear!" fanservice.

I'm indifferent to DOAX3 being denied a western release, because I thought the first game was complete and utter crap that, based on another poster's opinion of the 2nd game in the series, was somehow made even worse. I understand where people like these kinds of games; I just find the "need" for sexual content to drive a game unnecessary. My opinion of Team Ninja has always been pretty low (and what Nintendo allowed them to do to Metroid is unforgivable).

Anyway, I'm done posting in this thread. I've said what I felt needed to be said.
    Last edited by Sailorneorune; 11-28-2015 at 04:42 PM.
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

If you're really so incapable of playing a game because of virtual cleavage, maybe it's not a game for you period. That's how the game was made. The desensitization of people to violence and the double standards to anything sex-related is yet another funny thing about these critics.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

They're not holding the game back because they think the content is inappropriate, they're holding it back because they don't think it will sell well enough in western markets anymore because most people aren't interested in that type of content these days. I kind of agree, the modern Tomb Raider games changed the way Lara Croft is depicted for the same reason.

The main appeal of games existing just to show hot women is pretty much over. It's not the 90's anymore, teen boys and adults have easy access to the internet now and can look at real women at any time for free.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    The main appeal of games existing just to show hot women is pretty much over. It's not the 90's anymore, teen boys and adults have easy access to the internet now and can look at real women at any time for free.
    And fake women, too. If you think about it though, if that's the case, what's their reasoning behind releasing Dead or Alive Paradise for the PSP? Really, they've already completely localized this game, which is why there's the Chinese English language version, so all of the money has been spent. It's already too late to say, oh we're not going to release it in the west because of the possibility of sales. The only money they're saving by not releasing it in the west is licensing fees and whatever the cost is if they were to release retail versions. They're losing a lot more money than they'd be making because not everyone imports, and there are people who would pick this game up if they saw it at retail. Even selling at $20 they'd make more than the manufacturing cost and shipping of a single copy after the the store and Sony get their cut.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

This doesn't seem about censorship any more. It seems like people are getting uppy about what other people like and don't like. We are all different, we all have differing views, opinions are what they are guys. If you don't agree you don't have to. Move on

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Anyone seen Play Asia's Twitter feed on this? It's been quite hilarious... Gamergate Redux time...

https://twitter.com/playasia/status/...100416?lang=en

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    This doesn't seem about censorship any more. It seems like people are getting uppy about what other people like and don't like. We are all different, we all have differing views, opinions are what they are guys. If you don't agree you don't have to. Move on
    Excellent. Someone finally said what I was trying to say, but got it across 10x more clear than I did. Thank you.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm curious why the line is drawn where it is. People freak out whenever you talk about Australia banning Mortal Kombat but then DOA or random low budget lolicon game #443 comes out and everyone raises hell that it exists at all. Do games encourage bad behavior or don't they? It seems like we all owe Jack Thompson an apology.

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    Yeah on one hand fuck censorship.

On the other... it's DOA volleyball.
    I think that part of being principled is being willing to defend victims that aren't sympathetic. It really shouldn't matter what game it is if the thought processes that are in play are irrational, panicky, and ultimately risky. After all, DOA is just a symptom. What's happening is that culturally we're starting to take a stand against bullying...by permitting other kinds of bullying. For all the talk of tolerance that goes on, if somebody falls outside of the "right" way of thinking then its open season on them and suddenly it's perfectly ok to bully them into compliance. It's why South Park recently introduced PC Principal, intermixing the "SJW" with the stereotype of abrasive college frats. Shifting to a culture that normalizes the kind of mindset that essentially puts people in fear of producing an entertainment product due to potential backlash could lead to some seriously shitty things since that mindset won't always be localized to video games, and in fact hasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I don't understand this, either. Sometimes fake things are awesome. I can see real police work by watching real cops but that doesn't render Die Hard obsolete. Engaging in fantasy can be fun. If people find something that interests them in DOA Volleyball then they shouldn't be judged solely on the grounds that "they aren't real women." It's like that one annoying guy who watches Looney Tunes with you and keeps saying "he could never survive that in real life."
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 11-29-2015 at 02:18 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Publicity stunt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Publicity stunt.
    This did cross my mind. I wonder if the sales predictions were low enough that they decided against publishing it but wanted to preemptively deflect criticism from the die hard fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Is DOA sexist? yup. Fact is sex sells, always has and always will. No matter how hard feminism will try to get rid of it, it will ALWAYS be there, and a lot of women enjoy dressing in a provocative way and get males to look at them. Its in our DNA to attract/be attracted. Meanwhile, parents let their 6 year olds play GTA and COD online with headsets, they will learn what is teabaggin, racial comments etc. which is 10000x worse than chicks with big boobs in bikinis playing volleyball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    Is DOA sexist? yup.
    How? "Sexism" and "sexual" are not synonyms.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    How? "Sexism" and "sexual" are not synonyms.
    using women as sexual asset is sexist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

But they're not real people. That's kind of important. Besides, even if they were real like in a movie, there'd be nothing indicating the actors weren't willing participants.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 12-05-2015 at 10:49 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Man, if only Jack Thompson had started pitching a fit a decade later. He'd find many people to work with in the industry who would support creative gag orders. It may not be exactly censorship, but fear of creating/doing something because of reactions of your peers is something that creatives shouldn't have to work with.

Between this and the joke that was Konami at the Game Awards I'm amazed that people think the video game industry is maturing. Hollywood is probably laughing.