Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160120_194711.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	8431Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160120_194637.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	8432Nintendo's Popeye is interesting to me not because of the whole ties to Donkey Kong thing, but rather that it had quite a fewdifferent versions that different people identify with as the definitive way to play. One of my best friends first exposed me to it on the Atari 2600, and I was surprised to find gameplay that was pretty unique. Running around and catching what Olive was dropping and avoiding ol' Bluto was pretty unique, and not like anything else I'd played.

Later, I played the NES Arcade Classics version, which was even better! Graphics closer to the arcade version and faster play made for an even more exciting game. It may not do as much to translate to arcade skill as Donkey Kong Jr, but it still was a pretty good facsimilie thereof.

Finally, about four years ago, my wife's uncle got a little excited at a charity auction and bought an actual arcade cabinet! Pretty awesome, until his wife came back with a big ol' no... but wasn't his niece's husband into video games? $250 to get his money back into it, and it's been in my basement since. The arcade is the definitive version to me now, as it ramps up the challenge from the versions I was used to, and creates a frenetic experience that's fun to try for scores on, and my nieces and nephews love to give it a whirl.

Still, there are other versions near and dear to others, like ColecoVision, Commodore 64, or Odyssey 2 from what I hear. So, anyone have fond memories of this one? Ever play it for scores? Grow up with a version you love? Just plain hate it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I've played the arcade version a few times. I've played the C-64 version a lot more than the arcade game though. I'd thought that the C-64 game was pretty good. I haven't played it on any other home systems, so for me, I think that the C-64 version was very close to playing the arcade game.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

The only thing i can say about this game is that i always thought the relationship between Nintendo and Popeye was an odd one. Not only where there this game and cabinet but a few other odd ones like the famicom English learning game and such.

But where is it now?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The C64 version is OK, but the NES version is best and closest to the arcade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Back in the 80s I did find a rare spot that had this gem and it's fun, but really for me it was the NES game, one of the very first I either earned(chores) or got as a holiday (or rare other) gift. I've had it nearly as long as Kung Fu and Balloon Fight and I've played it to death back in the 20th century. I won't lie I don't much touch a lot of my old stuff in the last few years and this one is 100% neglected, but I still have it, may even still have the manual too but I can't remember.

it's one of those rare cases of a licensed game not being a steaming pile of crap. Perhaps it was just early enough being licensed gave it a chance to still not suck horribly like so many did later once that horrid turd Home Alone showed people would be horrid crap with a movie licensed sticker on it (and no I'm not ignoring ET on 2600 but that's pre crash they caused.) The game play is fun, it's varied depending on the stages. The mechanics though are the same -- punch small items or grab the spinach and then until it wears off beat Brutus' ass until it's gone while collecting hearts, notes, letters to get to Olive and save her from whatever was up (Brutus, the Sea Hag, etc.) Sure it's only a few screens and rolls with exceeding difficulty pretty quickly, but it's fun and it doesn't get boring which is good.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Had some fun with this one again tonight. I have a stock original Popeye cabinet that's pictured in the OP, but it has had a very stiff joystick that liked to stick when pushed left or right, as apparently in its years of use someone likely spilled some soda or beer on it. Tonight after I got home from work and got my son to sleep after dinner, I dismantled the joystick and really cleaned it up with some 3 in 1oil while watching re-runs on TV. Now, it's smooth as butter like new while still being the original Nintendo stick. I played a couple of credits, and getting the proper throw and return makes it so much more fun to play, and I don't have to worry about over-correcting or running two steps farther than intended anymore. I bet I'll blow up my sad little barely over 100,000 point score pretty quickly now!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I remember playing the Atari version and being confused whether or not I was playing it right. I have since played multiple versions including the arcade game (at a convention), and I still don't know if I'm playing it right. The gameplay just doesn't spark for me. I don't get the point, basically. It's one of those arcade games, like Donkey Kong 3, that I can't find any interest in. Nothing's compelling me to keep playing after a minute or two.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Had some fun with this one again tonight. I have a stock original Popeye cabinet that's pictured in the OP, but it has had a very stiff joystick that liked to stick when pushed left or right, as apparently in its years of use someone likely spilled some soda or beer on it. Tonight after I got home from work and got my son to sleep after dinner, I dismantled the joystick and really cleaned it up with some 3 in 1oil while watching re-runs on TV. Now, it's smooth as butter like new while still being the original Nintendo stick. I played a couple of credits, and getting the proper throw and return makes it so much more fun to play, and I don't have to worry about over-correcting or running two steps farther than intended anymore. I bet I'll blow up my sad little barely over 100,000 point score pretty quickly now!
    Thats such a cool looking arcade cabinet. They definitely dont make stuff like that anymore.

Also, its such a good feeling when you have something that doesnt work correctly or at all, and when you spend a little bit of time tinkering around you can fix it completely. The one arcade machine I have, Tournament Arkanoid, I got years ago for 50$ because the seller on CL thought it was non-functional. After I got it home, I quickly realized that the PCB was slightly loose. I wiggled it back in and it has worked perfectly ever since.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    Thats such a cool looking arcade cabinet. They definitely dont make stuff like that anymore.

Also, its such a good feeling when you have something that doesnt work correctly or at all, and when you spend a little bit of time tinkering around you can fix it completely. The one arcade machine I have, Tournament Arkanoid, I got years ago for 50$ because the seller on CL thought it was non-functional. After I got it home, I quickly realized that the PCB was slightly loose. I wiggled it back in and it has worked perfectly ever since.
    That's a hell of a deal. I had a pretty good one myself right after my son was born. Found a Neo Geo set up as a dedicated Metal Slug for $150 that had a button that didn't work and a blurry monitor. I talked to the guy, who didn't even realize what a Neo Geo was. He really didn't care, and just wanted it gone. All I had to do was tweak the focus pot for the monitor and replace one microswitch. Took a whole three minutes all said and done, and I use it to play MVS games and loads of JAMMA stuff (it's running Black Tiger right now).

The classic Nintendo cabinets do have a fun, colorful look. My Popeye is in pretty great shape, with all of the art intact:

Name:	20160711_230852.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	9581Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160711_230908.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	9582

It's not an all-time favorite of mine like the Time Soldiers next to it, but I do like it, and my wife really likes it. It's the first game my son has shown consistent interest in as well, actually trying to play it instead of just yanking on the joystick (he's only 18 months old).

I bet an Arkanoid is fun to have. I've never had the chance to play a cabinet, but I've played the home versions extensively.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    That's a hell of a deal. I had a pretty good one myself right after my son was born. Found a Neo Geo set up as a dedicated Metal Slug for $150 that had a button that didn't work and a blurry monitor. I talked to the guy, who didn't even realize what a Neo Geo was. He really didn't care, and just wanted it gone. All I had to do was tweak the focus pot for the monitor and replace one microswitch. Took a whole three minutes all said and done, and I use it to play MVS games and loads of JAMMA stuff (it's running Black Tiger right now).

The classic Nintendo cabinets do have a fun, colorful look. My Popeye is in pretty great shape, with all of the art intact:

Name:	20160711_230852.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	9581Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160711_230908.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	9582

It's not an all-time favorite of mine like the Time Soldiers next to it, but I do like it, and my wife really likes it. It's the first game my son has shown consistent interest in as well, actually trying to play it instead of just yanking on the joystick (he's only 18 months old).

I bet an Arkanoid is fun to have. I've never had the chance to play a cabinet, but I've played the home versions extensively.

Yeah, it was a really good deal but I would have paid alot more for it. Maybe I will type type up a review when I get home from work..

That Popeye cabinet is a real treasure though. It looks to be in fantastic condition, I dont see any wear to the artwork or overlays. The blue color is awesome looking too. Thats gotta be a pretty rare cabinet, and in that condition, just wow. If I had more space I would love to own more cabinets. The Arkanoid I have is actaully a bartop game so it fits perfectly upstairs.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Has anyone ever played the other Popeye games? There was a Gameboy game called Popeye 2, and a Super Famicom Japan-only game called I think Sea Hag no Nazo.... which is interesting to me because I think the Sea Hag was only in the original comics and the 1960s TV series, not the Fleischer cartoons most people associate with Popeye.

I've never played any Popeye game but I love the character--I get a rush every time he eats his spinach and that jingle plays.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Stringfellow78

My first experience with this game was on the 5200. I played the hell out of that game and was the best in my house. My mom said she caught my dad playing late one night trying to get better than me. Later I got the colecovision version and was disappointed with it in comparison. Only played the arcade version once at a showbiz pizza. I played the super famicom game and was confused what to do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Being an old fart

My most treasured version would be the ColecoVision one. I had it back in the day and played it on my Colecovision a lot.
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stringfellow View Post
    My first experience with this game was on the 5200. I played the hell out of that game and was the best in my house. My mom said she caught my dad playing late one night trying to get better than me. Later I got the colecovision version and was disappointed with it in comparison. Only played the arcade version once at a showbiz pizza. I played the super famicom game and was confused what to do.
    Same here, own the 5200 version. Not quite up to the Arcade Rom on Mame, but not bad either. Played with Wico Sticks on the 5200, great response. That spinach sometimes just out of reach before Bluto gets a jump on you!
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just recently played the version released for the TI-99/4A and IMO it's the most difficult home version that I've played
    VectorGamer.com
    YouTube: TheRetrocade
    @RealVectorGamer