Thread: Which Do You (Dis)like More: Sequels or Reboots?

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Which Do You (Dis)like More: Sequels or Reboots?

I'll take a sequel any day to a reboot. I didn't "invest" years of my life into the story of your games/movies/books/whatever just for you to tell me that's all invalid now because you don't want to scare people off by adding a number to the end of the thing's name.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Reboots can more or less suck it. I've rarely been amused, and usually it has to be something handled with care and kid gloves by the original guy or huge fanboys of the original source material where they upgrade and not bastardize in the same effort.

The most awesome NOW moment for this is the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Movie, doesn't fit the comics of old, comics of less old but goofy, nor the cartoon of the 80s or 90s, or the video games people flip over even still. They made them look odd, not behave quite the same, mikey looks somewhere between jamaican and ghetto, other stuff just doesn't fit. Now take the cartoon on nick. That one feels like they really took the love of the old E&L era comics mixed with the modern IDW stuff people enjoy too along with some appreication of the 80s cartoon as I see the puns come up regularly and it's a hell of an awesome fun ride I can't wait to catch on my DVR every week when I do my lunch break.

One reboot/remake is horrid more or less though I will admit still watchable if you totally detract yourself from the past, and the other is fantastic and handled amazingly well. But usually they're crap, and sequels unless you have a writer firing spree or strike going on they tend to hold up well, if not improve, and they carry on the story arc. Even the new mini series of X_Files brought forward 20 years is getting popular buzz (one could hope it could hit tv full time again but I doubt it) and again it's a solid sequel much like its 2 movies which were not made for 4 star reviewer love but the people who loved the old show before it went off the rails the last season or 2 with morons as stars (ie not Mulder and Scully.)