Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Newly Made 150 in 1 NES Cart - All the favorites and High Dollar stuff on board

LA (not the city, but the state next to Texas)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER View Post

The U.S. NES RED game cart came in! I took it apart (3 phillips screws) and am surprised how well made the Small PCB is inside. No Glop Chips, but has five solid state chips inside. One appears the same size and pins as the NES10 Lockout Chip on every NES game cart. Another small chip shows a date 2015.11.18 pointing to a recent limited edition build; newer yellow carts no longer save. The main large chip has a sticker with Asian letters, probably covering a window of a flash rom for all the games.

The CR2032 battery inside is mounted in a holder (picture of Famicom version), so much better then soldered on 1st party NES carts!

The cart starts up with a Logo that can quicky be bypassed by pressing any Button or Dpad. The Menu has a zoomed in screenshot of every game as it is scrolled thru by pressing down or up. Pressing right or left jumps pages for a quick search of the 150 individual games. The games are organized with many of the same category grouped together. See the list I posted earlier there is a huge selection of memorable must have games. All the Rockmans, Marios (including the Arcade version), Donkey Kongs (except math) and many other Arcade classics including Dig Dug, Galaga, Toki and so many others. Take a close look at that game list at the top, there are a few that would be very pricey if bought as 1st party. Oh and Tetris 2 on the list is Tengen Tetris!

Kirby confirmed to save properly, even when resetting and trying a few other games afterwards. Reloading Kirby verified the game save loads just fine. Though only this one game can save, many have passwords just like in the original carts.

Nice to discover YS Tank (BATTLE CITY) has a startup screen to choose any level.

Note the missing NES10 chip on the left in the picture below. This is the Famicom version of the exact same 150 game PCB.

If yours is like mine, the Kirby save will get overwritten when you play MMC3 games that use work RAM. So battery is useless if you plan on playing other games. I don't have a list handy but I know for a fact that both SMB2 and SMB3 use work RAM as do a lot of other MMC3 games. Boot Kirby, beat first stage. Power off. Power on. Boot Kirby. Save file intact. Reset. Boot Mario 3. Play first stage. Reset. Boot Kirby. Save file gone...

Oh, and do yours have Mario or Sonic on the boot screen? Initial reviews showed a lineart Sonic character on the boot screen but mine have the lineart of Paper Mario. Date stamp: 3-18-2015.

As others others have stated, some ROMs may be PAL or JAPAN rather than US. Kirby, SMB2, and Parodius are PAL with up-tempo music but play flawlessly. Also this multicart were intended for clones. TMNT1 is in Japanese and major sprite corruption on real hardware; display fine on NOAC clone systems.

Also sucks some of you guys got piss yellow carts with alternate artwork. The originals look way cooler. Also Tanooki mentioned a converter inside. There is none. The NES PCB have 72-pins so if you were expecting a cheap converter inside, you will be disappointed.
    Last edited by stardust4ever; 03-11-2016 at 07:59 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks great!

At that price, it's worth it just for a handful of the Rockman games.

Correction, just one of the Rockman game with the prices their going for nowadays.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sydpinkfloyd View Post
    Looks great!

At that price, it's worth it just for a handful of the Rockman games.

Correction, just one of the Rockman game with the prices their going for nowadays.
    I you want the US version, there is also a Megaman 6-in-1 with the US game releases. It is a bit more expensive though (~$30 shipped) compared to the 150-in-1 and there are minor sound glitches on the conversions of MM1 and MM2.
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/72pin...546627714.html

Mine came in a box plastered with phony Nintendo Seal of Quality, and ironically shipped out of Germany instead of the far East. I suck at these games ...

Also here's my full writeup on the 150-in-1:

My thoughts on the new 150-in-1 NES multicart...

It's part of a series of new multicarts available direct from Aliexpress. I ordered a pair of NES carts with shiny new labels and bright red cases (one for me and one for a friend) and paid about $17 and some change a piece for them, or around $35 total with free international shipping. You can also them on reseller 'Bay where they typically go for around $50.

There are also 198-in-1, 340-in-1, and 400-in-1 multicarts available as well, presumably made by the same company, but it seems the higher the number, the less good games and the more crap filler. All of them except the 150-in-1 contain a fairly large number of poor quality unliscensed Chinese titles. The 150-in-1 skips these.

The game cart is largely filled with MMC3 titles along with a sprinkling of the best NROM games and some others likely converted or hacked over to MMC3. The games are largely arranged by series and genre starting with Rockman, so you don't have to hunt and peck around for games from your favorite series as the arrangement seems fairly logical and not haphazard. Tetris II is the same Tegnen version with the title screen removed that has appeared on countless other multicarts. You can't have an NES collection without some form of Tetris, and Tengen is my favorite version. Most of the "late great" unicorns are present as well, such as Little Samson, Flinstones 2, and others, with the notable absense of either Bubble Bobble and Bonk's Adventure. I would consider Bubble Bobble 1 & 2 as well as Bonk's Adventure to be required material, but I am nitpicking here.

Regardless, I'm honestly impressed with the amount and variety of games contained therein. Most of the must haves are there plus a fairly nice variety of obscure titles many gamers may not be aware of. Also each series of games featured is largely complete for the most part, with the notable absense of Castlevania III due to it's complex MMC5 mapper. There is even a Rockman board game available that was originally released only in Japan, translated to English for us to enjoy. I will definitely try it out sometime.

One thing that initially impressed me with this multicart is the inclusion of a save battery for one game, namely Kirby's Adventure, IMO one of the largest and most impressive platformers to grace the NES. Unfortunately that SRAM is also shared with other games, meaning that playing any other MMC3 game on the list which utilizes work RAM will essentially overwrite and erase Kirby's save data. This fact breaks my heart a bit, that all the effort the developer went through to include a save battery for Kirby's Adventure is wasted...

Selection of individual game versions leaves somewhat to be desired, as it seems haphazard as to which region of titles are included. A few games also have hacked title screen and some cheats or ROM tampering added. Super Mario Brothers 2 is clearly the PAL version. So is Parodius and Kirby's Adventure it seems, and quite possibly others as well. PAL games generally play fine but can be sensed by the increased tempo and sharp pitch of the game music. Parodius can be forgiven since the Famicom version used a custom Konami mapper and was never released stateside; however the others seem to be odd choice for inclusion with available NTSC ROMs with standard mapper.

Super Mario Bros 3 has much of the title screen removed and is actually a hack of the Japanese version with item select code and infinite time for starman. To select an item, press B to pull up the item menu and then hit SELECT to change the first item to whatever you want it to be. One caveat to this is that Nintendo put some anti-cheat measures into Super Mario Bros 3. If you defeat Bowser with the starman, the game will get stuck and not allow you to enter the Princess Chamber to view the ending credits. Similar side effects occur when using a Game Genie to cheat on the US version.

Turtles I has an odd glitch present as well. It is based on the Japanese port "Geki Kame Ninja Den" (Ledgend of the Radical Ninja Turtles) and has a Level Select code built into the title screen. Unfortunately the hackers broke the "Turtles I" ROM somewhat so that it runs flawlessly on NOAC clone hardware (tested on my Super Retro Trio) but has graphical glitches on a real NES or Famicom.

I hope you guys liked my little mini write up. The new 150-in-1 is brand new and has a build date of 2015 on the splash screen along with some line art ripped from Paper Mario. The menu has music and displays preview graphics from each of the 150 games. I give it a B- grade overall, which is extremely high marks for a pirate multicart. It would be considered perfect if only Kirby's Adventure save was not corrupted by other games using the save data as work RAM, and PAL region or hacked title versions of game ROMs were not chosen for inclusion.

UPDATE: Added two screenshots of the title screen and menu.

http://nintendoage.com/forum/message...hreadid=157123
    http://atariage.com/forums/topic/237...mes/?p=3414520
    Last edited by stardust4ever; 03-11-2016 at 07:29 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Einzelherz's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I received mine today. I bought the Famicom version, which strangely enough, is shorter than an actual famicom game.

With a multicart like this, what are the odds that something fancier like Crisis Force would end up on one eventually?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Einzelherz View Post
    I received mine today. I bought the Famicom version, which strangely enough, is shorter than an actual famicom game.

With a multicart like this, what are the odds that something fancier like Crisis Force would end up on one eventually?
    If it uses MMC3, MMC1, or older discrete logic mappers, and is either a popular title or expensive on the secondhand market, then there is a good chance the pirates will port it to MMC3 for inclusion on one of these multicarts. If it uses sophisticated, exotic mappers, like several of the unlicensed or Japanese third party mappers, or a Nintendo MMC mapper other than 1 or 3, then it's chances of appearing on a multicart are slim to none.

It's why we have Castlevania I and II on almost all the multicarts, but neither the US or Japanese version of Castlevania III, because it would be impossible to translate from a sophisticated mapper like MMC5 or VRC6 to a simpler one like MMC3.

The multicarts use MMC3 because many great games used this mapper, and most older discrete logic mappers can be translated with little work. So an MMC3 pirate multicart can handle a large chunk of the Famicom/NES library, but there will forever be highly regarded titles, especially Famicom exclusive, that will never show up on one of these.

Good news is you can emulate about 98% of vintage games (as well as hacks, translations, and publicly released homebrews that don't use fancy modern flash mapper) on an Everdrive or Powerpak.
    Last edited by stardust4ever; 04-09-2016 at 10:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought one from someone locally for $30 a few weeks ago. I tried to buy from Aliexpress but it said my bank refused the transaction. I'm guessing they have had issues with that website. My cart is the standard NES grey color, but it's the exact same as the red cart. I have no idea where they got it.

It's pretty cool, but some of the games have graphical glitches.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kwyjibo View Post
    I bought one from someone locally for $30 a few weeks ago. I tried to buy from Aliexpress but it said my bank refused the transaction. I'm guessing they have had issues with that website. My cart is the standard NES grey color, but it's the exact same as the red cart. I have no idea where they got it.

It's pretty cool, but some of the games have graphical glitches.
    Are you using a clone or real NES with the glitch games? TMNT plays glitched on real hardware, flawless on clone, and I suspect others might as well. Try it! I am 99% certain these multicarts were only tested on cloned hardware during development.

Also did you get Mario or sonic on your title screen? Just curious. Initial reviews had the sonic artwork and a slightly holographic sparkle to the label. My label lacks the sparkle of initial video reviews, and the Mario rather than Sonic title art, but otherwise the same.

As for CC info, I feel somewhat safe using it with Aliexpress, although I generally prefer to use Paypal for international transactions when possible. There is an option to save your CC info so you don't have to enter it every time you checkout. I would highly recommend not saving your CC info. This may protect you in the event of a high profile hack of the website.

As far as rejecting the charge, I imagine enough people bought counterfeit items and issued chargebacks causing some banks to take notice. Aliexpress is fairly reliable regarding sellers shipping the goods, but you must realize almost nothing brand name sold on there is legit. If you buy knowing full well the item may be fake or counterfeit, you won't get burned. I would stay away from expensive gadgets though.
    Last edited by stardust4ever; 04-29-2016 at 10:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stardust4ever View Post
    Are you using a clone or real NES with the glitch games? TMNT plays glitched on real hardware, flawless on clone, and I suspect others might as well. Try it! I am 99% certain these multicarts were only tested on cloned hardware during development.

Also did you get Mario or sonic on your title screen? Just curious. Initial reviews had the sonic artwork and a slightly holographic sparkle to the label. My label lacks the sparkle of initial video reviews, and the Mario rather than Sonic title art, but otherwise the same.

As for CC info, I feel somewhat safe using it with Aliexpress, although I generally prefer to use Paypal for international transactions when possible. There is an option to save your CC info so you don't have to enter it every time you checkout. I would highly recommend not saving your CC info. This may protect you in the event of a high profile hack of the website.

As far as rejecting the charge, I imagine enough people bought counterfeit items and issued chargebacks causing some banks to take notice. Aliexpress is fairly reliable regarding sellers shipping the goods, but you must realize almost nothing brand name sold on there is legit. If you buy knowing full well the item may be fake or counterfeit, you won't get burned. I would stay away from expensive gadgets though.
    I use a real NES, the front loader model. Super Mario 3 has some minor graphical glitches, and the big "3" at the title screen is missing. I think TMNT Tournament Fighters also had some stuff going on, but I can't remember what. I know I saw glitches in Mario 3 and 1 other game at least. Overall it works well. I played through Little Nemo and Castlevania 1&2 the first week I got it with no issues at all. I would definitely recommend this to someone who just wants a bunch of great games to play on their NES, but doesn't want to spend a lot to do it.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

I think banks that dont do buisness with AliExpress dont because they know Ali sells counterfeit items, not because of chargebacks.
    Yeah, and nothing on ali is name brand stuff. Its all either imitation or counterfeits. In terms of 'trusting or not trusting aliexpress', well Ali wont rip you off. Your item may get seized by customs but Aliexpress wont just take your money and run.
    Im really surprised at how many people are impressed with these carts. Am i really the only one not impressed by 150 roms on a bootleg cart? Might seem tempting at first but in the long run a flash cart is just the way to go. Especially if there are graphics glitches.. like why bother or mess around with that shit at all?
    Last edited by bb_hood; 05-01-2016 at 03:48 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SAV2880

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Would any of you buy this for the novelty value, lack of interest in an everdrive, or just not liking the prices anymore as a gamer more than a collector? I could see dusting off my top loader and putting up the Retron 5 for this.
    In your experience, what's the success rate on the Retron 5 for these kinds of cartridges?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SAV2880 View Post
    In your experience, what's the success rate on the Retron 5 for these kinds of cartridges?
    Zero.

Regarding the NES side, only period releases with standardized mappers will work, and occasionally common repros (like NTSC Earthbound or Mr Gimmick). Homebrews, multicarts, or any games using exotic mappers are almost guaranteed not to dump properly. Same applies to Retro Freak with an pin adapter. I've had better luck with repros and homebrews for the 16-bit systems due to the fact most 16-bit cartridges do not rely on sophisticated mappers.

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    Im really surprised at how many people are impressed with these carts. Am i really the only one not impressed by 150 roms on a bootleg cart? Might seem tempting at first but in the long run a flash cart is just the way to go. Especially if there are graphics glitches.. like why bother or mess around with that shit at all?
    It's kind of a novelty for collectors, and a cheap all-in-one starter collection for casuals or newbie collectors.

Yes, I own the NES PowerPak, FC Everdrive, and numerous flashcarts for other systems, but they do tend to be a bit spendy, require a PC to load required OS files and ROMs on the SD card, may not work well with clones, and are not for everyone.
    Last edited by stardust4ever; 05-01-2016 at 01:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SAV2880 View Post
    0 for 0. Multicarts probably 10%, legit bootlegs using a non-hacked pure cart that would pass a CRC check 90-100%.

It's an emulator that uses carts, sorta like retrode I think was into the PC, but this is an android box. Every single game in existence from the 80s/90s/00s(gba) that had a legit release licensed or not will work on the system give or take a really rare oddball which they tried to clean up when people complained. Everything has a CRC database. The game data is dumped to the console in memory, it checks the CRC database, then fires up the appropriate emulator + memory mapper(for NES) so the game works.

That's how that thing goes. I've run famiclone bootlegs in it just fine with hacked titles or straight up legit roms on bootleg parts with no problem, same with bootleg Gameboy (all versions) and Starfox 2 I think will run on that bootleg cart a friend made me a few years ago. I was buddies with the retron5 coder in the day, got him to add a few pirate multicarts like the Supervision 115in1 I own so that does work too.

It's more a safe bet if it's a flash kit, forget it, if it's a multi-cart bootleg it won't work as at best it will dump the menu list but not the games behind it. One off bootlegs whatever the system should most likely work but not guaranteed.

The 150in1 or any variant up to 400+ on these new boards will not work is my understanding. I ever get one of them, I'll shelve the R5 and dust off my top loader. I'm considering selling it anyway as I don't use it and it has only a couple dozen hours on it at best as it is when I got my issue sorted out awhile back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tanooki, have you tried the Retro Freak? It's like a Japanese version of the Retron5 but takes USB controllers (and originals if you get the controller dongle) and has additional support for PC Engine / Turbografx. Build quality is IMO far superior to the R5 even if styling is a bit bland. You can also dump game carts to the SD card, although dumped ROMs are encrypted and won't work outside the Retro Freak. English menus are available so you don't need to worry about the language barrier. Only caveat is it's lack of an NES slot so you'll need to use a pin adapter with NES games.

Game support should be similar to that of the Retron5, aside from the inclusion of PC Engine.
    Last edited by stardust4ever; 05-01-2016 at 09:16 PM.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

It's kind of a novelty for collectors, and a cheap all-in-one starter collection for casuals or newbie collectors.

Yes, I own the NES PowerPak, FC Everdrive, and numerous flashcarts for other systems, but they do tend to be a bit spendy, require a PC to load required OS files and ROMs on the SD card, may not work well with clones, and are not for everyone.
    I could understand the novelty aspect but I just dont think its good advice to reccomend buying one of these to a noob. I just think if you are really interested in getting into playing original nintendo you are not going to be satasfied with just 150 games. And a decent chunk of them are not fantastic titles. I just look at it like its only 20$ yes but thats 20$ that could have been put toward a powerpak.
    And besides, why stop at 150 games? Why not include all of the games that they could possibly cram onto a cart?

It just pisses me off when I see people asking 60$ for these locally on craigslist.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    It just pisses me off when I see people asking 60$ for these locally on craigslist.
    You could make your own craigslist ad selling it for less. You don't actually have to be selling one, the ad's presence alone might be enough to convince other people who are selling to lower their prices. That's one way to combat absurd prices on CL, and there are no repercussions for doing so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Kwy hah nice plan I like that. And i've not seen scum selling them for $60 locally (or at all, smaller area I guess.) I have seen them still in the $40s on paid copies on ebay though, personally I don't think they're worth much north of $25 shipped given whoever got it off aliexpress deserves at least a few bucks for their efforts.

The Retro Freak I don't have, don't want it either. I've read mixed reviews and it's just a R5 anyway more or less, but it can't run NES games without a 60 to 72 pin adapter, and also you can't use your own controllers without buying a module to use them which is stupid. Though more stupid, I've read reports of the system overheating or glitching from heat because that controller module snaps in place over a big air vent that belches out system heat which seems like a really dumb design flaw too.

As it is I'm thinking of selling my REtron5 as I don't use it. I prefer gameboy on gameboy, bought a Genesis last november 1st/2nd and would rather use that hardware instead. I think I said it in here, somewhere at least, maybe racketboy where I post more now, but it has a couple dozen hours use as most after that whole swap out system drama over a year ago and I still have all the box and paperwork for it stored away too so it's like new. It's not like I couldn't plug my top loader and snes back into the TV I have anyway.