Thread: SNES RPG fans! Trying to dig deep for something to play!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Arctica121's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SNES RPG fans! Trying to dig deep for something to play!

I've been a big fan of SNES RPG's, they've helped me keep my sanity following free time from work or college! Before I go into a top 10 played, this thread is to get an idea of what hidden gems are still out there to try that I have not listed or simply doesn't get a lot of press. Throw some RPG's my way you found to be a great play (for the record, I am HUGE on plot.)

This is a list of what I would consider a top 10 from what I've played so far
    10. Final Fantasy 5
    9. Mario RPG
    8. Final Fantasy II (4)
    7. Lufia II
    6. BoF II
    5. Secret of Mana
    4. Final Fantasy III (6)
    3. Earth Bound
    2. Tales of Phantasia
    1. Chrono Trigger

For the record, I tried BoF and Lufia I and found them to be too dated. I'll probably take heat for my Mario ranking, but it was just weird playing a Mario RPG. I've played Soul Blzer and Illusion of Gaia. Other than that, Im looking forward to what else is out there. I've been debating "Brain Lord" and "Star Ocean." Is there anything else anyone would strongly recommend?

PS: Please NO grid-style RPG's like FF tactics and no RPG's that don't have a Level Up/EXP system.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I see you're open to RPGs that weren't officially released in English, but I'm guessing you want recommendations that are available in English in one form or another (in other words, no Super Famicom RPGs that lack fan patches)?

Star Ocean is fantastic, but honestly, it's more entertaining for its battles and other gameplay systems than for its story. (Keep in mind that you can play an official English release of this on PSP. Granted, it was remade so that it plays more like its PS1 sequel.) Brain Lord is a Zelda-style adventure game, not an RPG, though I can't remember if it has experience/leveling up.

From the US library, Arcana and Final Fantasy Mystic Quest are short and sweet RPGs that I enjoy. While I don't consider them RPGs myself, if you like Secret of Mana, do give Secret of Evermore and Seiken Densetsu 3 a shot. You might find them too dated as well, but there's also Dragon Quest V and VI (though these also are available officially in English on DS, though also remade). Really, there's a ton to dig into with the Japanese library if you're playing fan patches, though, being fan-made, the quality of patches vary greatly and can very well ruin the stories through being too literal and stilted or too liberal, changing the tone and dialogue from how the script was written (the Tales of Phantasia patch is guilty of the latter. Though the official localization for the GBA version ain't great either. A lot of people say the patch for the PS1 version is the best way to go.)

Insert Coin (Level 0) Pr3tty F1y's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

I vote RoboTrek. It's a simplistic RPG, but I really enjoyed it. Final Fantasy III it is not, but the goofiness, the Enix engrish goodness, and sci-fi premise made it memorable.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Well, if you enjoyed SoulBlazer and Illusion of Gaia, there's of course Terranigma. As much as you seem to like Square stuff, the Romancing Saga trilogy are interesting. Dark Half by Enix is pretty interesting, as you play as both the hero and villain in alternating chapters. Paladin's Quest is nothing if not intriguing in its magic and mercenary systems, but the story is pretty direct. I personally really like Kishin Korinden Oni and Bakumatsu Korinden Oni, though I haven't looked to see if there are fan translations yet.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Arctica121's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks everyone!

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Treasures of the Rudra would be right up your alley, think Final Fantasy 6 meets the Saga series. The plot has you play through three different heroes stories, you can switch between them at any time but they meet up in the end. The magic system is also well down, as it's phonics based- you enter in words and the letter sounds determine the spell effects. Really interesting Square title.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Star Ocean is fantastic, but honestly, it's more entertaining for its battles and other gameplay systems than for its story. (Keep in mind that you can play an official English release of this on PSP. Granted, it was remade so that it plays more like its PS1 sequel.) Brain Lord is a Zelda-style adventure game, not an RPG, though I can't remember if it has experience/leveling up.
    IIRC, for your main character it doesn't, but you get these sort of "familiars" who you can have up to two active at any time and they DO level up (similar to the ones in Symphony of the Night except these ones surround you in a circle and attack on command).

As for the opening post's question...

I always liked Shadowrun. It has an unusual levelling system in that you get "Karma," which you can put towards upgrading stats, so it basically becomes an EXP system. Tho arguably it has more in common with Deja Vu (except for being isometric instead of first-person) otherwise. Its a really thrilling mystery game set in a cyberpunk future.

Recently I tried out a little game called Arcana. I didn't get far but it seems pretty interesting if you like first-person RPGs.

On that note, I wonder if the OP would like PC port-overs like Eye of the Beholder, Dungeon Master and Wizardry V. Of those I'm guessing WizV would be the easiest to play. Its possible you may want a mouse for EOB and DM, but I seem to recall them being quite playable with a normal controller.

I loved Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, but you have to keep in mind it was made for beginners, so it'll feel a little simplified compared to FF4 and 6. Then again, that's exactly what some people love about it, and it has a rockin' soundtrack.