Name:	20160521_010013.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	9249Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160521_003432.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	9250

Rygar is a 1986 classic arcade game from Tecmo in which the eponymous hero is summoned to save the land of Argus from an onslaught of evil monsters. Armed with his mighty Diskarmor, a sort of bladed shield on a chain that he whips about like a yo-yo, Rygar is tasked to overcome 27 stages of constantly swarming beasts in order to take down their master and restore peace.

The game is a straight forward action platformer, as Rygar, with a few exceptions, runs from left to right, killing enemies in mostly one hit, breaking stones to get power-ups, and hopping small gaps and obstacles. There are occasional segments in which Rygar climbs ropes, but the vast majority of the game is on a flat, single screen high plane. There's none of the verticality of a Rastan or Black Tiger here, instead focusing on getting enemies on screen and closing in as quickly as possible, like a Kung Fu/Spartan X on crack. Stopping to fight is the way you score points, but making a bee line toward the urn at the end of each stage is the easiest way to survive.

Rygar has a few ways to attack and protect himself, starting with the Diskarmor weapon that is all but synonymous with the franchise. It can be thrown forward as a basic attack or spun in an arc overhead in order to combat aerial assaults. The Diskarmor can also be enhanced with power-ups that increase its range and give it the power to kill multiple foes in one swing. While touching an enemy costs him a life, Rygar can safely jump on top of enemies, temporarily stunning them and allowing him to move forward quickly. There is a power-up that makes his jump potent enough to kill instead of stun, a cross that grants a brief period of invincibility, and a screen-clearing fireball icon to round out his powers. The remaining items are all point pickups of various denominations.

For a 1986 arcade game, the look is pretty average for an action game, with colorful, static backgrounds like the famous red sunset and clean, shaded sprites. It has a nice soundtrack, and controls very well. In a lot of ways, it feels stuck between generations, as the risk-reward mechanics revolve entirely around the timer, and how long you risk fighting monsters to boost your repulse bonus at the end of each stage. Run out of time, and you'll get hunted by death. The rewards are all score-related, though, and all of its bonus mechanics revolve around scoring for scoring's sake. Compared to other games of the same style and timeframe like Ghosts 'n Goblins, Black Tiger, Rastan, or Contra, where the risk-reward pieces revolve around items or power-ups that aid in game completion and survival, Rygar's emphasis on score over completion makes it feel a bit dated by comparison. Still, its fun weapon and character, smooth controls, and colorful graphics keep it fun to play. It is tough, though, and you can't continue after stage 20.

Rygar also appeared on the Lynx and Sega Mark III in ports close to their arcade parent seen here on Tecmo Classic Arcade for the original Xbox. It notably had an NES re-imagining (that is one of my very favorite NES games) and a later PS2/Wii sequel that took the series into 3D pretty successfully. Still, this arcade original is their daddy, and is still a good time.

Played it?
    Last edited by celerystalker; 05-22-2016 at 12:30 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I have not played this, just the NES one as a rental as a kid.

but I am interested to see the "sequels" you mentioned for PS2 and Wii. might have to hunt those down

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    I have not played this, just the NES one as a rental as a kid.

but I am interested to see the "sequels" you mentioned for PS2 and Wii. might have to hunt those down
    The ps2 sequel is really good. It's God of War before God of War. I remember slashin up a bunch of giant slugs and destructible environments. Pretty sure the Wii game is just a port of that. The original arcade game is just a straight quarter-hog and pretty bland. Walk right and attack.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I believe that this also saw a Wii Virtual Console Arcade and a PS4 Arcade Archives release.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Rygar is probably my favorite arcade game of all time. It absolutely never gets old. I can't tell you how many times people have started a 2 player game with me and just walked away because I never died. You can run through the entire game on a single life more often than not if you're a decent player, but the fun and challenge of Rygar is pushing your score to the limit, which means risking and sacrificing lives on high yield stages.

There are so many bonuses through out the game, it's just awesome hitting one after another. It's almost like playing pinball.

Kill all of the stacking tribe warriors before they break formation: 10,000 points
    Gather all 5 power-ups: 160,000 point
    Kill a titan by jumping on it with the tiger power-up: 100,000 points
    Collect 7 stars: 70,000 points
    Find the red scroll: 1,000,000 points

Man, I used to want to flog myself for collecting the question mark when I wasn't paying attention. Good times.

I remember playing Rygar on the Xbox release of the Tecmo collection and finding it very difficult to use the D-pad. IIRC I would constantly crouch when I wanted to run, like I was hitting a diagonal accidentally. I only used the Duke controller, so that could have been the issue. Anyway, AMAZING classic arcade game. I liked the PS2 game as well, but I never played the NES version.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 05-22-2016 at 09:05 AM.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Rygar is probably my favorite arcade game of all time. It absolutely never gets old. I can't tell you how many times people have started a 2 player game with me and just walked away because I never died. You can run through the entire game on a single life more often than not if you're a decent player, but the fun and challenge of Rygar is pushing your score to the limit, which means risking and sacrificing lives on high yield stages.

There are so many bonuses through out the game, it's just awesome hitting one after another. It's almost like playing pinball.

Kill all of the stacking tribe warriors before they break formation: 10,000 points
    Gather all 5 power-ups: 160,000 point
    Kill a titan by jumping on it with the tiger power-up: 100,000 points
    Collect 7 stars: 70,000 points
    Find the red scroll: 1,000,000 points

Man, I used to want to flog myself for collecting the question mark when I wasn't paying attention. Good times.

I remember playing Rygar on the Xbox release of the Tecmo collection and finding it very difficult to use the D-pad. IIRC I would constantly crouch when I wanted to run, like I was hitting a diagonal accidentally. I only used the Duke controller, so that could have been the issue. Anyway, AMAZING classic arcade game. I liked the PS2 game as well, but I never played the NES version.
    I had similar control issues, so I got the Xbox adapter for my X-Arcade stick to play it. The Xbox controller definitely feels off to me for Rygar.

The NES game has similar aesthetics and story, but is so completely different that I'd give it a separate post. It's got more in common with games like Metroid, being an open world with action RPG elements. I love both of them for very different reasons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

You know as much as I loved and played the arcade game, I NEVER realized until I played the PS2 version that Rygar was set in the Mediterranean. I just never got that. I assumed it was in somewhere like Outer Mongolia, then I get the PS2 version and there's all this Grecian shit. I was like, wait...what!? Really?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Yeah, I always got somewhat of a Conan flavor from it. There isn't much that screams Greece at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I mean I just never got a Greek or Roman vibe from anything in the arcade game. Between the martial arts fighting forms being practiced in the shrines, the Asian architecture in the later stages, the stone pagoda lanterns, and the Eastern styled temple in the background of stage 25, the hannya style mask on the door to the demon's chamber at the end of the game, it all gave the impression of a hero trekking across ancient Asian.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I can see that. The monsters also have more eastern flavor as well. I definitely see more asian and persian flavor than greek.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

When I think of Rygar, I think of two things... one is that every time I tried to get to the end of the Lynx version, my batteries would die near the end. That happened something like three or four times as I was trying to see the ending (my AC adapter had a short in it so I couldn't plug the Lynx in). The second thing is renting the NES version of Rygar two or three times and finally getting to the end of that one after six hours non-stop.

Honestly, playing the arcade version of Rygar seems a bit underwhelming to me. The NES version was the first version I played, then the Lynx one had nice handling and a good feel overall. The arcade version is a little less fun to play than those other two. I couldn't put my finger on what specifically I don't care for... maybe it's the speed in which it throws enemies at you or the slight sluggishness of your weapon to react quick enough... I just can't make it too far through the arcade game.