Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    *sighs* I can understand why the Metroid 2 remake got the cease & desist, but the Nintendo Power archive was completely unaltered from how Nintendo created the issues, it didn't contain the more recent issues (it was only, what, up to the early 00s?), nobody was profiting off of them to the best of my knowledge, and let's be real, Nintendo isn't going to do jack with the issues, short of maybe showing the covers somewhere.

Does anybody know of a site that at least documents the contents of each issue, even if they don't offer scans? It's nice to easily look up what games are covered in each.
    http://www.nintendopower.comxa.com/index.php

EmuParadise has the magazine scans available in .cbr format (in other words rars of jpgs) but this link is invaluable for searching for specific games within the issues.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Thanks, Daria! Yeah, I'd settle for just the contents by issue, but being able to look up games by title and publishers even is awesome.

The funny this is that I've use multiple sites over the years to look up the contents of Nintendo Power, but since the sites have usually offered scans too, they all had to be removed eventually. Since this one has no images whatever, hopefully it'll be up for a long time.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

As for the NP archive being pulled, not that big an issue. There is larger archive out there on pretty much every public torrent tracker and it's been going strong for the last five years.

I'm happy to see that searchable bibliography though, Daria, thanks for the link. I was musing about creating something like that in the NP covers thread.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Seems legally I get it, but they appear to clearly want to alienate their older fan base who grew up and appreciated both their classic games and the magazines. There really was no good reason other than just being prickly with the DMCA attack on the magazine, the game I get a bit because they still half ass something out with Samus still, but the magazines that was sheer senseless spite.
    The problem here is Nintendo is beginning to resell Nintendo Power material. It's not just the comic reprints but the NES Mini will be sold alongside an Official NES guidebook that will incorporate Nintendo Power articles and interviews.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

About the comic reprints, is it just the Mario/Zelda stuffs? I wouldn't mind an archive of Nester strips.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Huh, I didn't know about that guidebook with the NES Mini. That's pretty cool.

For the comics, yeah, it's just Zelda and Mario so far. The Zelda one is already out (and sold quite well as far as manga releases in the US go, if I remember correctly), and the Mario reprint was just announced. For Nester, I do know of this site:

http://hn.iodized.net/main.htm

It's not remotely complete, as it only has a single comic past Howard's departure, but it's got all of the Howard & Nester comics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Empsolo View Post
    The problem here is Nintendo is beginning to resell Nintendo Power material. It's not just the comic reprints but the NES Mini will be sold alongside an Official NES guidebook that will incorporate Nintendo Power articles and interviews.
    I'm obviously going to google this, but do you have some cited source on that? I've never heard of this. It would be quite understandable they'd pull that crap stunt if they were going to re-print (I'm guessing) the old NP multi-page game pictorial+printed word guides and throw it in there to assist people (my guess along with the manuals and other related articles of interest.)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Taking old Nintendo Power off the internet? Fuck you, 2016 Nintendo. These were 15-28 year old magazines, hard to find nowadays and expensive, not to mention outdated (but masterfully written and great for nostalgia). These magazines are a snapshot of Nintendo's glory days. Nintendo is but a shell of what it was in the 1990s.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I'm obviously going to google this, but do you have some cited source on that? I've never heard of this. It would be quite understandable they'd pull that crap stunt if they were going to re-print (I'm guessing) the old NP multi-page game pictorial+printed word guides and throw it in there to assist people (my guess along with the manuals and other related articles of interest.)
    Did you look at the Amazon blurb?

https://www.amazon.com/Playing-Power...ords=nes+guide

Exclusive embossed slipcase holds this hardcover tome in a clever package that resembles a classic NES Game Pak!

A fascinating retrospective on 17 NES classics—including Super Mario Bros. 3, Donkey Kong, and The Legend of Zelda!

Interviews and commentary from Nintendo visionaries who pioneered this era of gaming.

A showcase of vintage advertising and priceless excerpts from Nintendo Power magazine back issues!

Plus hand-drawn maps, character and game environment art, and much more!
    http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/07/the_official_nintendo_nes_classics_book_will_go_ni cely_with_your_nes_mini

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I was hoping to download those, too. They were a great read back in the day; today, I can't imagine them being worth anything except for nostalgia's sake. No one deterred by the price of the physical magazines would buy a reprint, I'd wager, and I'd only buy a digital archive if it were very cheap. Do kids these days even play those old Nintendo games? Even if they did, I'm sure they wouldn't read the magazine.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I did find that amazon thing after I wrote that, seems kind of gray area to kill all the NP listings over a lame little book in a slip cover that goes over 17 old NES titles and the history around them to a point. Seems more of an excuse to do what they did instead of a valid good reason (like re-issuing them in PDF format or something.) If they put them all up for $1-5 PDFs for sale through the Nintendo shop, Kindle, etc, then hell yeah I'd see a valid good reason to take them out. I wouldn't expect real print for so many issues. Even trying to do it by the system is too blurred given how far the NES reached into SNES era etc unless a lot of work went into chopping out just the pertenant bits but that wouldn't be keeping with the theme of the books either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I guess with Nintendo, you're not playing with power.