Thread: GOTD 8/7/2016: Hudson's Adventure Island 3 (NES)

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Default GOTD 8/7/2016: Hudson's Adventure Island 3 (NES)

In Adventure Island 3 your waifu gets abducted by aliens and it's up to you to get her back!
    I have never understood if Master Higgins is a caveman or if he is some guy stranded on a deserted island. I would guess that he is a caveman with all the dinosaurs around, but that doesn't explain the baseball cap. Either way, you get the general premise. If you have ever played any of the Hudson Adventure Island games you know they are difficult. Adventure Island 3 is no different, its really tough.. but its not as bad as the first Adventure Island game.

Hudson's Adventure Island 3 is alot like Hudson's Adventure Island 2. All three Adventure Island games play the same, but in Adventure Island 2 & 3 you can ride dinosaurs. These two games feature the 'dinosaur storage' system where you can save the dinosaurs you collect for use in later stages. If you do well in the early stages you can amass large amount of dinos. You will need lots of power-ups for the later stages where the game gets difficult. You will also need to know when to use the apropriate dinosaurs. The red dino can run through lava, which is useful because there are bonus stages hidden in lava-filled areas. Also the pterodactyl can be very useful in some stages, but in other stages he is easily wasted. The green triceratops is very useful in most stages, especially stages with enemies on platforms. You get the idea.

So if you like running around the jungle in a grass skirt, kickin' eggs around and riding dinosaurs, then Adventure Island 3 is the game for you. Ive been playing this for the last week and its a difficult but very fun NES game. I would definitly reccomend Adventure Island 3 if you want a challenge.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

It's so hard to have an Adventure Island conversation without the Wonder Boy connection... I'm sure you're more than familiar and just a but tongue-in-cheek there, but on the off chance somebody doesn't know, Master Higgins is actually Hudson Soft executive Takahashi Meijin, who was known for wearing that hat and playing lots of Star Soldier. As a kid, I didn't know that, and when I saw my first search engine as a teenager, that was one of the first questions I asked the internet.

I actually don't own this one! I wasn't a big fan of the series, and the closest I came to playing all the way through one was the original Wonder Boy. Still, I always thought the sprites looked good, and Master Higgins has always felt to me like one of those iconic characters synonymous with the NES library like Simon Belmont, Mario, Link, Mega Man, and such.

Love the mock screenshot. Awesome touch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    It's so hard to have an Adventure Island conversation without the Wonder Boy connection... I'm sure you're more than familiar and just a but tongue-in-cheek there, but on the off chance somebody doesn't know, Master Higgins is actually Hudson Soft executive Takahashi Meijin, who was known for wearing that hat and playing lots of Star Soldier.
    I knew Master Higgins is supposed to be that guy, but I diddnt know about the hat.
    Interesting.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I had read that he was quite the odd fellow.

wonder if hes still around

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

My understanding is that this one is more of an actual adventure game, with a map screen and item collecting. Is that true?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    My understanding is that this one is more of an actual adventure game, with a map screen and item collecting. Is that true?
    I think you may be thinking of Adventure Island 4, which was only released in Japan.
    Adventure Island 3 is much like the previous Adventure Island game, its more of a side scrolling action game (although it does have a map screen and items like Mario 3 does).

Insert Coin (Level 0) PatBoy785's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Adventure Island is another one of those games that are fun but hard. I have the Japanese remake of it for GameCube and beat it, the remake has a good remix of the classic songs, and bonus content (like the shooting watch, commercials, original soundtrack from the NES version, basically it was Sonic Jam but with only one game). I want to play and beat the classic version of it though.

Still, I always thought the sprites looked good, and Master Higgins has always felt to me like one of those iconic characters synonymous with the NES library like Simon Belmont, Mario, Link, Mega Man, and suc
    I always thought Adventure Island was like Ghost n Goblins and Castlevania. Imagine someone making a crossover of those games and seeing how they turn out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

This series are very popular in Mexico. The game is widely known as "Capulinita's Game" ... because many people genuinely thought this character was based on a mexican comedian named "Capulina".

I found an article on the web with photos of Capulina, hehehehe

http://nintendolatino.com/el-capulinita/
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

It's so hard to have an Adventure Island conversation without the Wonder Boy connection...
    Especially Wonder Boy 3: The Dragon's Trap.

The North American TurboGrafx version of Dragon's Trap was called Dragon's Curse. Guess what the Japanese PC-Engine version was called?

By the way, that cap Master Higgens wears IS THE SOURCE OF HIS POWAAAH!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Wow, 1 month after I posted this I finally beat it! No warps, every stage.
    Its pretty challenging, but Ive played it so much I can easily beat it again. The final boss is super easy.
    What next..

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Awesome! It's a good feeling to put a game down for the first time. That was one of the best parts about doing GOTD topics; there's a catharsis to taking out a game that you haven't before, but always enjoyed. I had a lot of fun sitting down and deciding that that was going to be the day I beat a game and making good on it. Hope to do it again sometime when life gets reasonably paced again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Awesome! It's a good feeling to put a game down for the first time. That was one of the best parts about doing GOTD topics; there's a catharsis to taking out a game that you haven't before, but always enjoyed. I had a lot of fun sitting down and deciding that that was going to be the day I beat a game and making good on it. Hope to do it again sometime when life gets reasonably paced again.
    Sorry that Ive been lax in creating new topics.. its hard to keep coming up with content. Idk how you did it for so long.
    Ill try and come up with some more soon. I really wanted to beat Adventure Island 3 before moving on, and that took forever.