Thread: Duel Masters: Kaijudo Showdown (GBA)

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default Duel Masters: Kaijudo Showdown (GBA)

So weeks ago I brought you a long boring post about Yu-Gi-Oh: The Eternal Duelist's Soul. I never got to tell you guys the hilarious story of Kaiba's suicide, but whatever. Today I'm taking another trip into memory lane.... or what might possibly be "Ugh Don't Remind Me" lane for people who saw things like this as the death of anime (I know several who did).

First off, the name alone always seemed weird to me: Duel Masters. Yu-Gi-Oh's card game was called Duel Monsters. Was Wizards of the Coast intentionally trying to confuse people?

And yes, unlike the game whose hero has three different hair colors, Duel Masters actually began as a card game--specifically it began as Magic the Gathering. I'm not even joking--the early manga volumes in Japan specifically advertised the connection, and when you play the game, it becomes obvious. We never got the manga in English, and the version of the anime we got basically got the Samurai Pizza Cats treatment... and it was glorious. At least, I remember it being so. Unlike Yu-Gi-Oh where I became a franchise-wide fanboy, for Duel Masters I really only liked the anime and refused to touch the card game beyond video game adaptations, simply because card games cost money and I'm not made of it.

But onto the game.

Duel Masters: Kaijudo Showdown (and please take a sip every time you misread "masters" as "monsters") plays more like an RPG than Yu-Gi-Oh: Eternal Duelist Soul (which was pure dueling). You have an avatar who talks to people and you can challenge random dudes to kaijudo duels. Yes, they have a special term for "playing a children's card game," and apparently "kaijudo" was a term invented purely for the English language audience (it roughly means "art of the giant monster," even though the monsters aren't giant) because I guess playing card games sounded dorky or something. As the game starts, your brother is moving out, and he hands you all his Duel Masters swag--two full decks and five tournament invites. Naturally you immediately nerd out and challenge people to card games and spend all your money on decks while he, I dunno, goes to college and gets laid or something.

If you don't know how to play the game, don't worry: right at the beginning an anime cameo character named Knight--the only adult (besides the store owner) in a store clearly full of kids, incidentally--is there to teach you the fine points of the game and possibly to get a feel for your "potential" if you know what I mean.

My first real criticism is that the game looks more complicated than it is, because dueling has three screens for different activities. This makes the game LOOK complicated, and I've known people who mistakenly thought it was a lot to take in, but in actuality its pretty simple: Both players have decks of (I think) 40 cards. The first five are placed face-down in front of you and are your "shields." If the opponent destroys all your shields and then attacks you directly, you lose. There's no life points--just shields.

So the first thing each turn, you're asked if you want to put a card in your mana zone. Mana is "tapped" to summon monsters or casts spells, and by the way monsters can't attack the turn they're summoned because of "summoning sickness" but they can defend and gee it sounds a lot like Magic: the Gathering doesn't it? But one difference is that in Duel Masters, ANY card can be a mana card. Your opening hand had a monster that costs seven mana? You won't be able to summon him for a long time, so better put him in the mana zone so he can fuel cheaper summons. And yes, mana comes in different colors. So from there, you tap mana, you summon monsters and, when possible, you attack. You can choose whether to attack an enemy monster or one of the shields (or the other player if there are no shields), but if the enemy has a monster with the "blocker" ability they can, well, block an attack and force you to fight the blocker. When fighting happens, numbers are compared--there's only one number here, unlike Magic which had attack and HP and Yu-Gi-Oh which had attack and defense--and whoever has the bigger number wins.

Every time you win, you get a booster pack. Which makes spending money on them almost pointless. You only get money through tournaments by the way. And that's how the plot is advanced: you go to tournaments, people see your leet kaijudo skills, you get "sponsored" by the card shop, then get to go to more places and show off your card skills and meet more anime cameo characters. All while your brother is off getting an education or something. Note: I never beat this game, so I dunno if you ever catch up with the brother or whatever.

Now, when I first played this I thought of it as the better card game--Yu-Gi-Oh was pretty much just about having higher attack values, this felt more strategic. Unfortunately though, the problem with Duel Masters: Kaijudo Showdown is, its kinda boring. The duels move slow, and the dueling music is just this drone that's attempting to sound ominous (because that totally makes sense) but just gives them this atmosphere of "is this over yet?" The different screens for functions that really should've been all on one field doesn't help. It's a lot of little things, but they add up. It's not a bad game, and there's no obvious bugs or game-breaking flaws, but all these little presentation issues let it down something fierce.

As for the card game itself (or at least as its played here--again I never played the real thing), I've come to understand why it never took off: It's slow and boring, whole turns can pass with you unable to do anything because you don't have enough mana (a problem this game's daddy also had, but which Yu-Gi-Oh lacked), but what really hurts it for me is the whole "blocking is a special ability" thing--you can have seven bazillion monsters but if none of them have the Blocker ability, the enemy can still direct attack all your shields and then kill you and you can't do a damn thing about it, and that just seems effing stupid to me (in Magic, any monster could block, which is a far more sensible system).

On the whole, the problem isn't that the game is bad. The problem is that it doesn't stand out in any way. The anime was at least funny.

... What is with me and playing games where you summon monsters lately?

UPDATE: Apparently some of my information is slightly incorrect. According to TV Tropes (who aren't always reliable but who I'm inclined to believe in this case), Duel Masters actually began life as an actual MtG manga, but Wizards didn't like the manga author's direction, but decided to fix things by making a new card game. Which explains a lot, actually.
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 09-11-2016 at 05:56 AM.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post

And yes, unlike the game whose hero has three different hair colors, Duel Masters actually began as a card game--specifically it began as Magic the Gathering. I'm not even joking--the early manga volumes in Japan specifically advertised the connection, and when you play the game, it becomes obvious. We never got the manga in English, and the version of the anime we got basically got the Samurai Pizza Cats treatment... and it was glorious. At least, I remember it being so. Unlike Yu-Gi-Oh where I became a franchise-wide fanboy, for Duel Masters I really only liked the anime and refused to touch the card game beyond video game adaptations, simply because card games cost money and I'm not made of it.
    I used to play alot of MtG, and I remember when Duel Masters (the card game) was released. It bombed hard. Initally people talked about it a little bit at tournaments because WotC was releasing it. Once it came out nobody cared about it at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I can imagine. I kinda forgot to mention this but from what I've seen, Duel Masters' monsters and such feel very... boring and empty. Magic the Gathering felt like it had a mythology behind it (which it did), and I remember at first I collected the cards without any intention of ever playing the actual game, simply because the images, monsters and fluff quotes were so inticing. Duel Masters? Its just "here's our guy with Wolverine claws. Doesn't he look badass?"

Granted the same could be said of Yu-Gi-Oh, but at least that has its sheer "fun"ness to make up for its card game's relative mythological emptiness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

I can imagine. I kinda forgot to mention this but from what I've seen, Duel Masters' monsters and such feel very... boring and empty. Magic the Gathering felt like it had a mythology behind it (which it did), and I remember at first I collected the cards without any intention of ever playing the actual game, simply because the images, monsters and fluff quotes were so inticing. Duel Masters? Its just "here's our guy with Wolverine claws. Doesn't he look badass?"

Granted the same could be said of Yu-Gi-Oh, but at least that has its sheer "fun"ness to make up for its card game's relative mythological emptiness.
    Duel Masters was very much 'just another card game'... people who played magic were not about to just start playing something not nearly as good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Especially a card game that was pretty much just Magic the Gathering anyway.

The thing about any card being usable as a mana source is something I kinda wish would be back-adapted into MtG at least.

(It's too bad MTG never had a GBA game.... I'd play it)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Especially a card game that was pretty much just Magic the Gathering anyway.

The thing about any card being usable as a mana source is something I kinda wish would be back-adapted into MtG at least.

(It's too bad MTG never had a GBA game.... I'd play it)
    I think the game was somewhat intended as an introduction towards magic the gathering.. also the thing about 'any card as mana' was introduced because people complained so much about mana screw magic.

I have MtG for dreamcast, but its in Japanese so Im kinda reluctant to play it.
    The MtG microprose pc game Shandalar from 97 is really fun to play. Its really good, it has cards from beta through 4th ed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

One of these days I need to pick up that PC game (Microprose's MtG). Ever since I saw a review of it in PC Gamer I've been interested (that, incidentally, was around the same time I actually collected MtG cards). Beta thru 4th is also a period I like... I honestly hate the way Magic cards look now. The older ones are very artistic feeling and magical. The new ones look like just a standard card game.

One of these days I need to take a picture of my MtG card binder. I have cards from 4th edition, Ice Age, Mirage etc. up til Weatherlight and Tempest. Sometimes I'm tempted to look for old booster boxes online, but I'm not sure opening expensive collectables will ever feel as good as they did when they were brand new and their worth was unknown.

EDIT: That the box art for Microprose's MtG looks like the box 4th or 5th Ed. starters came in is also appealing to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

One of these days I need to pick up that PC game (Microprose's MtG). Ever since I saw a review of it in PC Gamer I've been interested (that, incidentally, was around the same time I actually collected MtG cards). Beta thru 4th is also a period I like... I honestly hate the way Magic cards look now. The older ones are very artistic feeling and magical. The new ones look like just a standard card game.

One of these days I need to take a picture of my MtG card binder. I have cards from 4th edition, Ice Age, Mirage etc. up til Weatherlight and Tempest. Sometimes I'm tempted to look for old booster boxes online, but I'm not sure opening expensive collectables will ever feel as good as they did when they were brand new and their worth was unknown.

EDIT: That the box art for Microprose's MtG looks like the box 4th or 5th Ed. starters came in is also appealing to me.
    Im sure that the PC Game is easily downloaded without much trouble. There is also an expansion pack for the game wich you will def want to get, it add cards from the expansions like Legends and the Dark.
    The game is really fun, it could very well be the best 1 player MtG video game. Its funny, and I kid you not, the best card in the PC game is Erg Raiders.. yup.

Yeah me too, I hate the way MtG cards look now. I played magic from Unlimited/Revised through Timespiral, and the new card face is one of the things that just ruined the game. In my opinion MtG will never be the game it once was. If you feel tempted to look for older sealed product... um just dont. The older stuff is just way too expensive, and its pointless to randomly crack packs unless you are doing a draft.

edit: http://www.abandonwaredos.com/abando...e.php?gid=1967

Well, I guess I know what I will be doing today

Yeah it features Unlimited(alpha/beta) through 4th, with the exapnsions through the dark. Doing sealed tournament, so much fun.
    Last edited by bb_hood; 09-11-2016 at 02:34 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I have a complete copy of this game and I have NO IDEA where I got it from. This isn't something I would have sought out, so it must have been mixed in a lot, or less than 5 bucks somewhere. If you didn't make this thread I'd probably never have known anything about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Megas, is your copy CIB? Mine is--I never even opened the included booster pack of cards.

(I'd love to get the Yu-Gi-Oh games CIB but its hard due to most people buying them just for the bonus cards and then separating the cards from the games)

re the MtG game.... the box art is so nice I feel like I have to purchase it, and lately I don't like free downloads (because they seem to always lead to me falling into this slippery slope of downloading more and more but never actually playing). But thanks anyway. Seeing that Grizzly Bear (I have that card!) brings back memories.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Thanks for writing these two posts on Duel Masters and Yu-Gi-Oh. They really took me back to my CCG days... I never really got into Magic, but I did play and spend obscene amounts of money on the old Decipher Star Wars CCG. I still have most of those cards, though I haven't played in years. I did Yu-Gi-Oh for awhile, as a group of friends decided to all just jump in and play when we discovered that the anime was secretly a guilty pleasure for all of us even though we all felt too old to be doing it. Played some of the shot-lived Doctor Who CCG with my mom of all people for awhile, too.

These days, I still have my old cards, but realistically just have trouble finding time to enjoy them. Haven't played a CCG in probably... 12 years or so I suppose... not since Yu-Gi-Oh. Video games were always my first love, so when shit gets crazy, they're the hobby that gets what time I have to play around. Games like SNK vs Capcom: Card Fighters Clash have let me get some of that fix without the ridiculous cost of buying card packs (though there always was a fun little rush to popping packs). It's slowly morphed into a love of video board and card games like Top Shop, Fortune Street, and the big one for me, Culdcept.

Anyway, fun write up!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

You're welcome, Celery. Honestly I wrote these to be a sort of stopgap/addendum for days when you or bb_hood couldn't or didn't continue your GOTD posts (hence why the Yu-Gi-Oh one was called "Game of Whenever"). That I was really into them at the time helped.

I'm not sure why I play so many TCG video games lately to be honest, as I don't really like the TCG genre in general. Video game versions do help to alleviate some issues (especially the money sink aspect) but they're still an inherently broken gaming genre.

I was playing Duel Masters earlier today, and for awhile thinking "maybe I was too harsh on it"... before I lost in a B.S. fashion during a shop tournament.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I appteciate that. At some point, I do intend to get back to the daily topics again. My sister's divorce/helping with the kids and a remodel at work have had me unable to do them, but eventually things always slow down.

I do think that the CCG/TCG genre generally works best as a portable video game. The format fixes most of the major issues with the style. Have you tried any of the Culdcept games? They combine the TCG and board game genres with some light SRPG elements, and are far less complicated than one might think. Plus, you can summon the heck out of some monsters...

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Megas, is your copy CIB? Mine is--I never even opened the included booster pack of cards.
    I just looked at it and while it's sealed it looks like it might be RESEALED. The seam is on the top of the box, but most of the other sealed GBA games on my shelf (that don't have a Y fold) are sealed on the side. There's also a white square shaped sticker on the shrink wrap covering the UPC. Now I'm even more curious about this game. I really don't know how it even made it into my collection.