Thread: Intellivision Amico Console announced - Hundreds of millions of sprites. Superior 2D than PS4 or PS5

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Re-reading my last post, it sounds like the Amico will deliver on all those things. After watching the interviews of Tallarico by ReviewTechUSA, I am fully on board woth the Amico. His story is the classic about immigrants comi g here with nothing and the third generation grandchild (Tommy) going from nothing to being a multi millionaire. and he is a gamer through and through, really a treasure to the gaming industry/community

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Sounds like something Tallarico would say about himself, minus the usual Steven Tyler name-dropping.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

The release day for the Amico has been changed from October 2020 to April 15th, 2021.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Is anyone planning on getting an Amico?

I applaud more competition but I don't know what I would be gaining if I already own a Switch. I will see what the exclusives are and I want to know how dependent the tech will be on internet updates and connections. It always comes down to whether or not the exclusives are worth going out of your way to play

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I dunno. I like the passion behind it, but Ouya also had passion behind it as well. I see these games and I'm not sure what audience it's targeted at.

The current start up reminds me of my kids' V Smile. The games, while I'm sure are tight, they just seem like games we can get on practically any device.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I have one preordered, but I am skeptical that they are going to make the April 2021 date at this point. It sounds like they still haven't finalized the final hardware design because they can't get together in person (not sure why personal interaction would be required for engineering given some of the places I have worked and seen some very complex devices designed without anyone even being in the same country, but who knows.). I also remain concerned that there will be no truly physical games and that there is a required Internet connection to at least authorize every new game you purchase.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I saw display ads for these Intellivision Amico consoles at GameStop. The price is flabbergasting. $249.99 for "Glacier White" or "Graphite Black" or $299.99 for the GameStop-exclusive "Intellivision Amico Galaxy Purple Limited Edition." Even the store's manager didn't know what these things were - I had to educate him. Now that's not to say that this is a clueless guy - I know the man personally and he's well aware of the modern gaming scene. However, according to him, the single printed advertisement for these consoles plus the entries in the GameStop computers for pre-orders are literally all that the employees know about the Amico.

$250 gets an Intellivision Amico console, 2 wireless controllers, 2 wrist lanyards, 1 power adapter, and 1 HDMI cable.

By the way, that GameStop-exclusive limited edition Intellivision Amico is $300 thanks to it including (in addition to the usual things) a $25 "Golden Ticket" Game Card and "six premium games: Astrosmash, Shark! Shark!, Skiing, Cornhole, Farkle, and a soon-to-be-announced sixth game."

However, the marketing is a bit confounding as some of it seems to indicate that the regular edition and the limited edition both include the 6 premium games. I guess I just can't be sure if it is for all consoles or just the limited edition at this time. Anyone here know for certain?

None of these consoles are going to be normally stocked by any GameStop on the shelves. See, the Intellivision Amicos are only being sold as pre-orders. The regular editions must be pre-ordered for $50. The GameStop-exclusive limited edition, however, can be pre-ordered for only 1¢! (No, I am not joking, the manager confirmed this.) The rest of the price(s) are payable at the register at or after launch.

Intellivision Amico, now launching 10/10/2021!

Source: https://www.gamestop.com/search/?q=amico

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I still think about the console. Even though I've been playing in some modern game waters lately on PC, I'm still a console boy. Probably because I work on fixing computers for a living. Amico looks like it can be a lot of fun, but gor ME I can't justify it for, well, ME.

1-How much are extra controllers? I have, not counting myself, 9 potential gamers that might play this. Unlike what seems like the norm, only one out of that bunch has a smart device (a screen busted hand-me-down from their sibling's boss to play Among Us). I have a Samsung Galaxy J3 in a drawer I got for $2 and my own S8, but I'm not big on complete touch screen control.

2-Will the games entice my kids to play? They are Nintendo kids with occasional bouts of Xbox and lately freebie game play on PCs (I get recycled laptops I fix back up for online schooling and play for the kids). Not sure if it'd be worth it, though the learning stuff might be good for my younger kids-their dang V Smile is not that stable a system.

3 When would I play it? If I got it for me-not sure when I'd play it. So it'd probably just sit. The wife isn't big into games and she has bias against them. I tried getting her into Wii but she couldn't wrap her brain around the not-so-exact motions of bowling. Very much a "do the real thing" kind of person

The system excites me. Something new and different than the Mario machine or the Fortnite/Call of Duty/whatever is hip on Xbox or Playstation. But in this life, I don't think I could justify it. I'd have to play it at work, but for what it's all about (playing together) that'd be like doing karaoke by yourself. Which isn't fun. I tried.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    By the way, that GameStop-exclusive limited edition Intellivision Amico is $300 thanks to it including (in addition to the usual things) a $25 "Golden Ticket" Game Card and "six premium games: Astrosmash, Shark! Shark!, Skiing, Cornhole, Farkle, and a soon-to-be-announced sixth game."
    I don't like the sound of that game.