Thread: Awesome(??) Super GrafX find

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Awesome(??) Super GrafX find

Today, for $30CDN I got:

Super GrafX Pc Engine Console, with RCA vid cable, Power supply, and controller, and these games:
    all complete except for little HuCard sleeves:
    Gradius
    (all japanese characters) Vol.12
    Son Son II
    Ninja Spirit
    Final Soldier
    R-Type I
    (all japanese characters) Altered Beast artwork
    Dragon Saber
    Rastan Saga
    Diamakamiura (all japanes text)
    (all japanese text) 2 (in red) -hmm aint that helpful-help me maxlords!!
    (all japanese text) taito and the artwork shows a black haired child scaling a wall with all manner of things below her, including a one eyed umbrella with it's tongue out
    Champion Wrestler

phew!

EDIT: It would seem to my uneducated eye that none of these are "SuperGrafX" games, but all regualr PC Engine games, which the SuperGrafX can play.

The story behind this good (possibly amazing- I have no idea) find? I do business with a number of game stores in my area, for repairs. Often they give me first crack at stuff they don't or won't sell. The EB Games across the street from my house is an exception. They have an internal reclamation center for the company, and don't need me. Nevertheless, they know me, and have my business cards. They've never been any real use to me...

...until today. I went to Microplay (I do mucho repairs for them) to get F-Zero GX for my Cube. They didn't have them yet due to a delayed shipment. I really wanted the game, so on the way home I stopped by the EBgames across from my house. While I was in there, one of the clerks said, "Hey Steve!" I turn to him, and he says and points,

"That guy has some old system we don't take, maybe you want it"

I said,

"Ok Thanks!"

I go tell the kid (with his Mom and Dad) that I may be willing to buy it. I give him my card and tell him I'm gonna pay for my game. I buy my F-Zero and go outside with the kid and his Mom. I see the above, and offer him all of the money I've left on me. $30CDN

And now it's home and tested. It works! Can someone post some links so I can learn more about what I have here? I realize it's a PC Engine, therefore a type of Japanese TG16. What else do I need to know? I'm assuming my TG16 games will not work with this. the controller is obviously incompatible with my TG16 (Tg16= DIN, SGFX= mini DIN).

How lucky am I today? Oh...it's NOT up for sale at this time.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default a

Damn.

You are REALLY lucky.

I have never, ever heard of finding a SuperGrafx in the wild...especially in North America.

It was a Japan Only release that had 5 games come out exclusively for it....7 if you include a couple games that were only enhanced by it. Also, it was indeed backwards compatible w/ the PC engine.

30CDN, sheesh.

Congrats!

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm having hard time getting most of these items to come up on an Ebay completed items search. the fact that I don't know what some of these games are called doesn't help.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

http://www.geocities.com/sgextreme/index.html

Here's a great Supergrafx site I found just the other day after being offered one. It might help.

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Awesome(??) Super GrafX find

Here's what I can figure out:

(all japanese characters) Altered Beast artwork - Could Be Susano Densetsu?

Diamakamiura (all japanes text) - I believe this is a Supergrafx game.

(all japanese text) taito and the artwork shows a black haired child scaling a wall with all manner of things below her, including a one eyed umbrella with it's tongue out - That's Kiki Kaikai aka Pocky and Rocky.

EDIT:

Vol. 12 is Majin Eiyu Wataru aka Keith Courage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks DDcecil.

Figures there "had" to be a Keith Courage in there.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kiki KaiKai was an arcade port. There's even a klov page for it.

Klov Page:
    http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?...K&game_id=8293

Japanese review of the PC Engine game:
    http://www.ec-shock.com/g-point/db/u_disp.asp?ID=4093

Yahoo Auction for Kiki KaiKai:
    http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f5178892

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Spent some time with it this afternoon. The weakest games in the lot are the japanese Keith Courage (duh!) and SonSonII, which isn't 'bad' per se. It seems like some kind of early WonderBoy game, much like SMS WonderBoy. No shock, seeing as HudsonSoft was Behind WonderBoy, and behind the PC Engine.

The rest of the games..WOW! Final soldier is an awesome shooter. R-Type is waaaay better than my SMS version, with very little (if any) flicker and better sound and visuals. Gradius is also great. I've never played the NES version, but I doubt it looks as good as this, if R-Type is any indication. Ghouls and Ghosts is of course very good, but have little experience to compare it to. I've read this SuperGrafX version is better than the arcade. Dragon saber is another excellent shooter. Ninja spirit seems very good, as does Rastan Saga II (by some miracle most of the in game text is English!!) One of the games with all japanese text seems very similar to MegaMan, which is also not a bad thing.

What all this boils down to, is that I am sure I am keeping it, at least for now. In one find, this blows away my entire (small!) TG16 collection, in quality and quantity.

Now I need help with 2 things:

I've been told to get a step down converter. The japanese power supply says INPUT: 110V My NA power outlet is giving it 120V, and it works. I have no desire to slowly kill the power supply, or the unit. Do I need a step down converter? Is the kind of converter I need only available from places like Lik Sang, or could I get one from Ratshack?

I only have the one PC Engine controller. However, for my TG16 I have a TurboTap, and 4 controllers. Is this adapter http://www.tzd.com/information.cgi?id=492 what I need to be able to use my Tap, and additional controllers with this SuperGrafX?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great find,omnedon.