Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Now it's Konami's turn, Turbo aka PC Engine aka Core Grafx Mini!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    When you get it make you sure have the appropriate usb power supply.
    Any idea what counts as "appropriate" for these things? We have several USB power supplies around here, including the ones which came with my NES, SNES and Sega Genesis Minis. I also bought a 'MobileSense' (or something like that) 2.4A USB supply, which the seller claims to have regulated output; does the extra 0.3 (0.4?) amps really matter that much? Or is it too little current capability which might be 'bricking' these things? I once accidentally powered a Retro-Duo with a 750mA power supply instead of the intended 2A (IIRC) brick, and it won't power up anymore. Rather odd that something like this mini would have such stringent power requirements, especially since they don't bother to include a wall-wart unless you pay extra..........
    -Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAnt316 View Post
    Any idea what counts as "appropriate" for these things? We have several USB power supplies around here, including the ones which came with my NES, SNES and Sega Genesis Minis. I also bought a 'MobileSense' (or something like that) 2.4A USB supply, which the seller claims to have regulated output; does the extra 0.3 (0.4?) amps really matter that much? Or is it too little current capability which might be 'bricking' these things? I once accidentally powered a Retro-Duo with a 750mA power supply instead of the intended 2A (IIRC) brick, and it won't power up anymore. Rather odd that something like this mini would have such stringent power requirements, especially since they don't bother to include a wall-wart unless you pay extra..........
    -Adam
    Before i got the one by hori i was just using the genesis mini usb ac adapter and the tg16 mini ran fine using it.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 06-19-2020 at 03:49 AM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAnt316 View Post
    -Adam
    USB is a standard, it should be 5V and 500mA. With other devices like a cell phone you can use higher amperage to charge the device faster, but it should still be chargeable with just 500mA. It's idiotic if using a lower amperage will outright kill a device when using a standardized connection, especially as you've said it doesn't come with a charger. I'm assuming it's still using a USB micro connection like various electronics use for power these days.

I mostly use an older charger for my cell phone that's at a lower amperage than what came with it, I've been doing that for 6 years without any major problems. It just charges slower, which I mostly did as I heard that charging the battery slower extends it's life. I'm not sure if that's true but it didn't hurt my phone as I've been using it daily for over 6 years.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Gotta love when Amazon ships you something like a game console naked in its own box absolutely covered with shipping labels, dents and dirt.

And yes, the option to ship the item IN AN AMAZON BOX to avoid this was selected.

The only reason I didn't pay to gift wrap it (to avoid this) was because I was given the option to ship it in an Amazon box.

Shit like this is why I typically never use Amazon.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 06-18-2020 at 10:20 AM.