Thread: I'm thinking of downgrading from PLaystation 5 to Playstation 3 - I would like to ask for advice

Pretzel (Level 4) monkeychemist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I'm thinking of downgrading from PLaystation 5 to Playstation 3 - I would like to ask for advice

Hello everyone,

Last year I had a very serious surgery and needed months of recovery in bed. I decided to get back into gaming after many years of not really having as much time. I bought a Playstation 5 digital edition, the playstation+ subscription and a few new to me games that I've always wanted to play like Fallout 4. Well it turns out the new game just don't appeal to me as much as my old favorites. I don't know how to describe it other than games have gotten so complicated and convoluted and frankly I don't have to patience to spend 3 days learning how to play a game. I chose playstation because I played so much PS 1 & 2, and a little bit of playstation 3. I played those old games from the PS network and had a blast. So all in all, I've decided that the new games are just not for me and return back to my last console which was the PS3. I have a few questions and wanted to ask for your advice:

1) Am I crazy?

2) If I downloaded some games on my PS5 that were actually PS3 or PS2 games like Fallout 3, Final Fantasy X, etc.. would those be on my account and playable on the PS3 or does the virtual library cut off at PS4?

3) Would I be better off with a PS4? Maybe in my opinion but if all I'm going to do is play PS3 and below then I'm not really interested in spending more

4) can I play PS2 games on the PS3. Not the actual disks because I know that requires very specific models, but a virtual purchase? I can't seem to find the PS3 virtual library, it all defaults to PS4/5.

Thank you so much for your guidance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I hope your recovery went well and welcome back to the realm of the video!

1) Naw...you be you. If stuff on the PS5 doesn't trip your trigger, there's nothing wrong with going back to something you DO like. However, the urge to game can be a fickle thing. I would suggest hanging on to that PS5 if the idea of selling it/trading it/etc. might pop into your head. It's a stunt I'd do but sometimes something about that particular system you gave up haunts you and then you buy into it again....only to not really play it except to scratch that particular gaming itch. I'm guilty of that. A search in these hallowed forums will show I've sold and bought the Genesis about 6-7 times over the course of 30 years. Turbografx-16 is probably close to 3 to 4. I'm on my second OLED PS Vita due to that.

It may not even be a thought but like candy on Halloween, I pass out the advice freely.

2) Doing a little research: no PS3 games (and probably PS2 games) cannot be passed down to an actual PS3 system. You are actually streaming the PS3 game and playing it on a server somewhere else. Same with PS2.

3) I guess it depends on if you like PS4 games and want them on disc. If you are going for PS3 gaming, why get the in between?

4) Yes, at least according to this wiki. I'd look on my PS3 to confirm but at the moment I'm dwelling in the basement and my nocturnal youngin's are ever so slightly trying to go to sleep (i.e. not really-I have a large brood of step kids with a wide range of ages and the elders really don't need to be forced to be but the 3 youngest ones, ages 11 to 7). They have a SEVERE case of FOMO and if I turn a game system on they smell it like sharks to blood and will flock to the living room. So hopefully you can find the game you want.

PS3's, at least in my area, are going for maybe about $80 or so for a slim....maybe? It's been a while since I was at my friendly neighborhood gaming store. PS3 games are pretty dang cheap so far. Controllers can be a crap shoot as the connectors that connect the top board to the bottom board are connected by pressure and is susceptible to corrosion. If you read stories about button presses just randomly happening-that's what's doing it. It looks like Retro Fighters has a PS3 compatible controller that turns on the system AND has Sixaxis called The Defender. I'm down to my last four working PS3 controllers so if they start croaking, I'll probably go to this. Especially since one of my Twins and her younger sibling both got back into "Little Big Planet" again and the young teen remembered I had "Sonic Team Racing Transformed" (and that they were good at it).

Hope that answered your questions!

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by monkeychemist View Post
    I don't know how to describe it other than games have gotten so complicated and convoluted and frankly I don't have to patience to spend 3 days learning how to play a game.
    But they start to get good after the first 80 hours....

Yeah, I don't bother with games like these either. Games have become a chore to play through, but a lot of games are now specifically designed for twitch streamers so they are literally work to play through.

I'll try to answer a few of your questions at least, as best as I can.

1) Am I crazy?
    Not really, you're not crazy. Overall I tend to prefer earlier games to more modern ones, I'm not even watching youtube playthroughs of modern games when I did during the PS3/360 era. Imagine 10-20 minute long youtube videos of people just messing around with skill tree options, it's pretty tedious to watch modern games. It's not even just my opinion, but plenty of people who actually like modern games now consider the PS5 to be a mediocre generation for Sony compared to the current Xbox console. The PS5 is not as good as the PS1 or PS2 generations. At least there's plenty of discussion on youtube going into detail over this.

4) can I play PS2 games on the PS3. Not the actual disks because I know that requires very specific models, but a virtual purchase? I can't seem to find the PS3 virtual library, it all defaults to PS4/5.
    I know this was possible in the past, PS2 games were available as a digital download for the PS3 and could be played on the console. I don't know if PS2 games are still available for purchase on the PS3 today. A friend of mine bought PS2 games this way for the PS3, what I do remember is that they looked like shit on the HDTV as the PS3 didn't upscale the resolution for these PS2 games at all. It actually bothered me to almost giving me a headache, I just couldn't stand the pixilation as it was pretty extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Controllers can be a crap shoot as the connectors that connect the top board to the bottom board are connected by pressure and is susceptible to corrosion. If you read stories about button presses just randomly happening-that's what's doing it. It looks like Retro Fighters has a PS3 compatible controller that turns on the system AND has Sixaxis called The Defender. I'm down to my last four working PS3 controllers so if they start croaking, I'll probably go to this.
    I didn't know that this was a common issue with PS3 controllers, I mostly came across controllers with bad analog sticks. If the PS3 controllers I have stop working, then I'll probably be done with the console and I'll sell off everything I have for it. I barely use it at all, and mostly keep it around for a bluray player in case I need to use one. I do have some games for the PS3, and Xbox 360, currently less than 10 each that I'd consider worth owning. There are still other games I haven't picked up yet but I will if I come across them for a really good price, so I may still add more games to my PS3/360 libraries.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I do think that the people who are buying older games as they're cheap are smart. I mean, I know I could, but won't. I like to stay more into modern gaming because I know I'll miss out on a lot of indie games at this point which are going to increase in price due to their limited print releases. I know I'll be paying more but I'll eventually go back to older consoles once everything goes all digital and at that point I'm pretty certain prices will increase drastically.

Considering your PS5 is digital only I wouldn't even bother, but I myself refuse to do digital so there is that.

When it comes to modern gaming, I think the combination of AAA, AA, and indie make for some great games, but when it comes to AAA alone, I think half at the very least are trash. It's like AAA developers feel the need to make everything open world and when it comes to most modern open world games, my experience with these games is just overall disappointing. The latest open world game I've played is Ghost of Tsushima, one that is very widely praised, but instead the game is like a poor man's Nioh with an open world, taking just so much time getting to point to point and the game just feels so much like every other western action game that tries to add depth. It just so completely underwhelming.

It's not like you can even see how good or bad an open world game will be because not all of them are bad. But either you're willing to invest hours in watching someone play a game and then realize that you're not going to be interested in or you just have to go out on a whim based on what everyone else says and just try it. I've got a lot of open world games on last gen that I haven't yet played. Other than FF7 Rebirth though I'm not going to buy another open world game, may do what I stated above because unfortunately there are some good games that are built with the modern open world design, games like Dying Light or MGS5 Phantom Pain, to name a couple off the top of my head, even if I do think the open world makes these worse than they should be.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Oh, speaking of controllers. I think the PS5 controller is the worst I've used for a Playstation console. It's just very uncomfortable and it doesn't feel like the buttons work as well as they should.

I have only owned the PS5 for one year and my PS5 controller stopped working within the first three months. The left digital pad stopped working completely. I sent it to Sony and got a repaired controller and not even a year goes by and the controller starts getting massive stick drift. I can't even enjoy playing games with how bad the stick drift is and for a game like Theatrhythm Final Bar Line I can't even play the game period, so I was required to get another PS5 controller.

It's fucking stupid that you can't use PS4 controllers despite the fact that there's no difference in buttons, especially once I've completely turned off the dual sense feature, the only feature that isn't available on the PS4 so why the hell can't this work on PS5 games? PS4 is the best controller but that controller has stick drift issues as well. The last one I've had is the one one that's went beyond a year without the slightest hint of stick drift.

They sell a PS5 Dual Sense Edge for an absurd cost to fix an issue that they themselves manufactured. I've never had an issue with stick drift until the PS4.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 10-22-2023 at 02:07 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I know that a lot of third-party PS4 wired controllers will work right out of the box for the PS3.

A lot of things on the PS3 store are silently vanishing off the online store. There's still some games, but the library is getting smaller all the time. There were a lot of PS2 and PS1 games still available the last time I looked, but who knows how long they'll be there. You might just be better off buying a PS2 and PS3 (or a PS3 with backwards compatibility, but those have a higher failure rate). PS3 game prices have gone up in the past couple years, but it's fairly easy to get games for it since people are dumping their old games in retro game stores right now. I'm not sure about PS2 game prices.

Pretzel (Level 4) monkeychemist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks to everyone for your input, I really appreciate it. Particularly YoshiM, thank you for going into such detail... and Gameguy I think we're in complete agreement with today's games. It's funny because I was playing Fallout 4 (which is more of a PS4 game but in the vein of modern games) I spent hours customizing and looking for parts. My daughters watched me and said "why do you like this game, you don't do anything in it." It took me a couple more days until that made sense to me. When I realized that, I stopped playing and I had been looking forward to this one for YEARS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

You're welcome, monkeychemist! My PS3 is kinda starting to go into a renaissance period as my kids are rediscovering that it CAN play games and not just watch DVDs. Right now my 9 year old step son is going "double retro"-playing "Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove" (which is so retro in play and design through and through) on the PS3. It's neat to watch, especially since he started as Plague Knight which is not as straight forward to control as Shovel Knight himself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I bought a PS5 earlier in the year and it runs fine for me so far and i don't find it's selection of games to be too complex but that's just me.Mostly i wanted to upgrade finally since my base PS4 doesn't run as well as it use to.Still,monkeychemist i don't see the point of going back to the PS4 sure it's support hasn't stop yet for cross gen releases but the hardware is really showing it's age at this point.

PS3 wise i have one still but i mostly use it as a blu-ray player these days.Earlier PS3 models of course can play PS2 but later ones cannot still every model can play PSOne,games.Heck my first PS3 was the old 60GB model but later on it ylod and now i just use a super slim PS3 for watching movies etc.The PSN is still up for PS3 and online play is still free no ps plus required.Though the only catch these days if you want to buy a game for the PS3 digitally then you must have funds in you're account for PS4 or PS5.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don’t think so. “Downgrading” is how the wonderful thing known as retro gaming started. We saw something there was plenty of and was fun, then went for it (this was back when things were cheap in the space)! Have fun with the hobby!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Imagine 10-20 minute long youtube videos of people just messing around with skill tree options, it's pretty tedious to watch modern games. It's not even just my opinion, but plenty of people who actually like modern games now consider the PS5 to be a mediocre generation for Sony compared to the current Xbox console.
    Yeah, right here. You watch 10-20 minutes of a video and you literally see nothing, if you want to do research to see if you're interested in a game now days you've got to sit there for hours so it's either actually doing WORK to see if you'll like a game or you just go out and buy it. It's ridiculous. The largest fanbase in gaming are people who are happy to just play anything regardless of quality and most publishers want the biggest potential userbase they can get so we just end up getting these games that developers know people will play for no other reason than they exist as games rather than games that are actually good.

I don't really get where you're coming from about the current Xbox is better than the current PS5 because it's really not. Playstation still has better first party titles than the current Xbox and the mixture of AAA from both western and Japanese third party developers still keeps Playstation ahead of even the Switch which has mostly indie games and Japanese third party games at half the framerate with the one caveat that Nintendo games are atleast better than Sony first party studios and Nintendo seems to go after a lot more of the exclusives that people actually want from third parties, something I can't say for Sony or Microsoft except for Final Fantasy 7.

*edit*

Xenoverse 2 doesn't even have an open world but the game has fetch quests in this hub world out the ass. It's hard to even want to continue because I do like the storyline they've added but it takes forever to get anywhere because they want you running all around this damn hub world. I've been saying this for a long time but I think developers have started purposefully developing games that waste your time.

Persona 5 is a good example of one that receives a massive amount of praise. Now if you've played Persona 4, the dialogue between characters each day is often different, but Persona 5 day in and day out has so much text that is constantly the same thing every single day based on what's happening at the time, the fact that every character needs to get a response in after each character says something this shit drags on and on and on. I don't even like Persona 5 because of how much bloat it has in text, it's like a game that is potentially amazing but the amount of time it wastes is unbelievable(same with each new The Legend of Heroes game.) People apparently love the idea of spending more time than the idea of that time being just filler content and developers that have no respect for the time you're spending.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 10-29-2023 at 12:47 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Thanks to everyone for your input, I really appreciate it. Particularly YoshiM, thank you for going into such detail... and Gameguy I think we're in complete agreement with today's games. It's funny because I was playing Fallout 4 (which is more of a PS4 game but in the vein of modern games) I spent hours customizing and looking for parts. My daughters watched me and said "why do you like this game, you don't do anything in it." It took me a couple more days until that made sense to me. When I realized that, I stopped playing and I had been looking forward to this one for YEARS.
    I'm glad I'm not alone with my thinking, I was starting to think my negative attitude towards modern games was mostly just me.

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Yeah, right here. You watch 10-20 minutes of a video and you literally see nothing, if you want to do research to see if you're interested in a game now days you've got to sit there for hours so it's either actually doing WORK to see if you'll like a game or you just go out and buy it. It's ridiculous. The largest fanbase in gaming are people who are happy to just play anything regardless of quality and most publishers want the biggest potential userbase they can get so we just end up getting these games that developers know people will play for no other reason than they exist as games rather than games that are actually good.

I don't really get where you're coming from about the current Xbox is better than the current PS5 because it's really not. Playstation still has better first party titles than the current Xbox and the mixture of AAA from both western and Japanese third party developers still keeps Playstation ahead of even the Switch which has mostly indie games and Japanese third party games at half the framerate with the one caveat that Nintendo games are atleast better than Sony first party studios and Nintendo seems to go after a lot more of the exclusives that people actually want from third parties, something I can't say for Sony or Microsoft except for Final Fantasy 7.

*edit*

Xenoverse 2 doesn't even have an open world but the game has fetch quests in this hub world out the ass. It's hard to even want to continue because I do like the storyline they've added but it takes forever to get anywhere because they want you running all around this damn hub world. I've been saying this for a long time but I think developers have started purposefully developing games that waste your time.

Persona 5 is a good example of one that receives a massive amount of praise. Now if you've played Persona 4, the dialogue between characters each day is often different, but Persona 5 day in and day out has so much text that is constantly the same thing every single day based on what's happening at the time, the fact that every character needs to get a response in after each character says something this shit drags on and on and on. I don't even like Persona 5 because of how much bloat it has in text, it's like a game that is potentially amazing but the amount of time it wastes is unbelievable(same with each new The Legend of Heroes game.) People apparently love the idea of spending more time than the idea of that time being just filler content and developers that have no respect for the time you're spending.
    First I'd like to thank you for addressing those points separately, I should have separated them when I wrote that but just didn't which was a mistake.

These days 20 minutes for a youtube gameplay video will barely get past the tutorial sections. It's actually another reason I dislike modern games, it takes ages just to learn the basic controls for a game compared to the NES or SNES era. Now that I think it over it's also a reason why I dislike Ocarina of Time as I hated that opening village section which I found incredibly boring, I would usually shut off the game before leaving this section and just play something else. With people buying games regardless of quality, I really believe a big part of this is people buying games to review on youtube or make let's play videos, or general twitch streaming. It's not for enjoyment, it's for content creation. The more bugs and crap to complain about, the more entertaining it is for the intended audience.

As for which current console is better, I don't have personal experience with using any of them so I'm probably not fully informed correctly, I've just seen a lot of people preferring the current Xbox exclusives over the PS5 exclusives. Like with the latest Spider-Man game for PS5 which has tons of severe bugs. Also the Xbox online services are apparently cheaper priced than the PS5 online services, which apparently had a recent price increase as well. I never use online services so I wouldn't know, it just seems like there's a lot of complaints towards Sony these days except from the fanboys. Plus Sony tried and failed to prevent the Microsoft merger with Activision Blizzard, it just seems like Sony is in a worse position compared to Microsoft.

As for the Switch, it still has a library that looks more appealing to me compared to the other consoles. Maybe eventually I'll get one, but I'm reluctant as it doesn't seem super reliable for the long term compared to earlier consoles. You're right about there being more indie games on it, many of those are what appeals to me, and modern releases of classic franchises such as Wild Guns, Pocky and Rocky, and several others.

You are right about games being designed to waste the player's time, it's to market the game as having more hours of gameplay so it can be sold for a higher price. You've already pointed out something I was going to mention as well, game maps are made bigger than ever, but there's not really any additional content so it just takes longer to travel between the actual gameplay. To be fair, plenty of older games in the past were also made like this, such as all the adventure games that included arcade sequences. It's just way more common with modern games, like games that need to be played multiple times to experience multiple paths or endings, or skill trees in games that aren't RPGs like FPS or action games. Multiple paths and endings can be well designed depending on the game, but I'm thinking more like Telltale's King's Quest game which has three paths to play through(really just three ways to solve each puzzle which affects the ending), this just feels like artificially lengthening the game. Plus forced online gameplay or other questionable design decisions, mostly added so watching a youtube playthrough won't be "good enough" compared to most one-player narrative based games.

With how enjoyable modern games seem to be, I think back to the arcade days when you had to wait in line, or with early consoles when visiting a friend's house.

Arcade/early consoles: "This game looks fun, I want to play it!"

360/PS3 era: "This game and story looks interesting, but the controls look complicated and annoying. I want to watch a playthrough on Youtube."

Current era: "This game just looks tedious. I'd rather watch a movie or random youtube videos."

Obviously there are some exceptions but I mostly don't care about modern games at all, the characters and stories just don't interest me with most current games. I suppose I could think of specific reasons why that is, but it would take me awhile. It's mostly either terrible gameplay, or terrible writing when a game focuses heavily on the narrative or character development.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

As for which current console is better, I don't have personal experience with using any of them so I'm probably not fully informed correctly, I've just seen a lot of people preferring the current Xbox exclusives over the PS5 exclusives. Like with the latest Spider-Man game for PS5 which has tons of severe bugs. Also the Xbox online services are apparently cheaper priced than the PS5 online services, which apparently had a recent price increase as well. I never use online services so I wouldn't know, it just seems like there's a lot of complaints towards Sony these days except from the fanboys. Plus Sony tried and failed to prevent the Microsoft merger with Activision Blizzard, it just seems like Sony is in a worse position compared to Microsoft.
    As you already know, I'm a Playstation fanboy, but I don't just blindly dump on the other companies just because. Most hate towards Playstation nowdays is because it's the most popular. Also, the Playstation is the only console that's in direct competition with each of the other two consoles. Xbox and Nintendo have little in common aside from indie games. Xbox doesn't get many Japanese games that aren't AAA, Nintendo doesn't get many AAA games.

It is true though that Sony recently increased the price of PS+ and yeah, that's bs. I'm lucky because when it was on sale for $40 I purchased two years of PS+ so right now I'm sitting on three years, but for those that have it's $80 a year which is just ridiculous. That's just for the base PS+ to just play games online and the free games per month. The PS+ extra increased to $120 and the premium increased to $160. The amount of money they're asking is just crazy.

If you ask me though, Sony probably looked back at their terrible purchase of Bungie for 3.6 billion and were like. Wtf were we thinking, we're not going to profit from this deal for a good 20-30 years, we need to do something to look like we're making a profit, let's increase the price of PS+ and lay off employees from our other developers. Their fanbase is rewarded by paying more money for stupid purchases.

As soon as there's no more physical releases on Playstation, I'm going to abandon the console, but that could be said of Nintendo as well.

As for the Switch, it still has a library that looks more appealing to me compared to the other consoles. Maybe eventually I'll get one, but I'm reluctant as it doesn't seem super reliable for the long term compared to earlier consoles. You're right about there being more indie games on it, many of those are what appeals to me, and modern releases of classic franchises such as Wild Guns, Pocky and Rocky, and several others.
    The thing is, is that none of these indie games are exclusive to any console, even physical versions of the games eventually release on the other. However, there are more of these limited publishers that only release Switch games. Kind of like what you said about these streamers with AAA games, this is equally true for how many Switch collector channels there are.

I've actually made a lot of these compilation PS4 videos. I still have a lot of games to go, pretty slow going because I finish the games before hand and all the games I replay as well. Again though, reason why I like PS4 over Switch is because, I can collect on one single console and have the best(or equally good versions) of "good AAA games" like Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Monster Hunter World Iceborne, Resident Evil 2-8, Diablo 3, Like a Dragon games, etc, etc, etc. Now, while I do make these PS4 videos, I collect the PS5 versions of some of these games and not the PS4 version because I want the better version, same reason I don't purchase PS4 games on Switch.

I'd say Switch is not worth purchasing if Switch 2 has BC and if you've waited this long, there's no reason to purchase a Switch. If the Switch 2 doesn't have BC which I highly doubt, then yeah, get the Switch. This console has more exclusives than both the PS4 and XBO. I have a theory that a lot of physical games on the Switch with digital only games on PS4 are due to Nintendo paying for physical exclusivity and this is due to some of the popularity of a lot of these games as well as an interview with the publisher of SNK Heroines that Nintendo did contract for physical distribution of the game making the initial collector's edition releases on the PS4 the only PS4 games to ever release. Do you really believe that Capcom would not release a physical version of the Monster Hunter Rise games when the game finally released on the other consoles but then release Exoprimal as a physical release?

Anyways, here's one of those collection videos of mine for the PS4. This is the last one I've made, if collections have a maximum of two games on them, I'll add the games individually, but if the collection has more than that I do include the collection instead of the individual games. There's two reasons I make these video games. One reason is because I do want to show off what I feel is one of the best consoles ever with just a massive amount of quality games(even if I really dislike some of these modern games.) The second reason is actually more personal, but really it's because I'm proud of how good I am at video games. I'm good at a lot of things, but I'm a huge fan of video games and I'd like something I'd do to get recognized, even if few people ever actually see these. So I take 12 seconds of what I play from each game that displays the basis of each game is and try to get 12 seconds of something that looks really good per game. Like for example, look at that Huntdown gameplay, and then compare that to any video on Youtube at the same point(btw, that game is absolutely amazing.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9IJfOh9f40

*edit*

There are some games that I don't like that I did include. I don't like Blaster Master Zero, feel it's pretty mediocre and I also don't like God of War, hover over the time for an really good easter egg. I included these in the video for no reason other than their mass popularity.

They're pretty short, only seven of them, anyways here's another one. I'd say check out all of them and if you'll probably find some games you like. In this one there's Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, absolutely amazing game, and Wargroove is another amazing game. Anyone who loves Advance Wars needs to play Wargroove, it's similar, but a very different take on how Advance Wars works. And 12 seconds may look short but look how good that 12 seconds of Mega Man X4 looks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUud5ctZ7D0
    Last edited by kupomogli; 10-30-2023 at 04:34 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

@ kupomogli;

Sorry about the late reply, I just haven't had much free time lately to check the forums. Some of the games from your videos look interesting, mostly the odd looking 2D games. If I eventually come across a cheap console perhaps I'll start looking to pick up some games, it's just at this time I have more than enough games already to keep me occupied so I don't really pay much for games anymore, I hardly play games these days anyway and mostly end up watching videos or movies.

With the Switch, one of the games that really looked interesting to me is the Ib remake. I believe that's a physical exclusive to the Switch. But why should I want to get a console just to play a modern remake of a game I've already played over a decade ago? I still have the original freeware PC version and that's the version I played and loved originally. Not that I've played it in ages, I just really remember liking this game when I first played it.

I do want to mention that when I talked about current gen systems I mentioned the PS5, the PS4 is technically last gen at this point. Most of the recent complaints towards Sony are towards the PS5 exclusives, not the PS4 library.

I tend to like Sony consoles as well, mostly because of how great they were in the past. The PS1 and PS2 were arguably the best consoles of their generations, and I personally would prefer the PS3 over the 360. Really I'm not sure why, I dislike the proprietary built in rechargeable batteries in the PS3 controllers compared to the 360 using standard AA batteries (and optional rechargeable battery packs), I assume it's because I disliked the reliability issues of the 360 and have no attachment to the original Xbox console so there's no nostalgia for Microsoft consoles, plus the built in Bluray compatibility with the PS3 is convenient. Modern Microsoft consoles still use AA batteries for their controllers while Sony only uses built in batteries now, so I would still side with Microsoft over that decision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

@Gameguy

I wasn't talking about PS4 as a current gen console, I was more or less replying to your comment about the Switch and I sort of jumped into the discussion of Switch vs PS4. PS5 itself doesn't have much going for it at this point that really says you need to get a PS5 other than just playing better versions of PS4 games. I feel like that's the reason to own the system at this time though. Whether it's to play better versions of games that also play on PS4 while also playing many PS4 games in their best possible form.

For example, I never got into Monster Hunter and I've always wanted to. I've tried to do so many times from Monster Hunter 2 on PS2, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, even Monster Ultimate 3 and 4 on the Wii U and 3DS. I really like the gameplay on the games, it's just there are so many fetch quests you have to go through and so many the same enemies you have to go through over and over again that I was never able to get into them.

Then I played Monster Hunter World Iceborne.... for 300 hours. Monster Hunter World removes some mechanics that make it so hard to get into Monster Hunter. The paint ball is removed and eventually you can just see where all the monsters are at and it just removes a lot of the hassle. I'm nowhere near the thousands of hours that a lot of Monster Hunter players put into them, so I'm definitely no pro, but I did atleast finish Iceborne defeating many master rank monsters so I'm atleast decent at it. Now, why am I describing this? Because Monster Hunter World runs at 60fps on the PS5 while it runs sub 30fps on PS4 and XBO.

If you play the Fire Fades version of Dark Souls 3 which includes all patches including the uncapped framerate, the game runs 60fps on PS5. Sekiro(if running unpatched) runs at 60fps on PS5, so in all of these cases the disc includes 60fps. Until Dawn, BroForce, etc, etc, etc. Games like Just Cause 3 that run with framerate issues on the PS4 run at 30fps on the PS5, this is true for many other games. Lichdom Battlemage, I can finally actually play the game, a game that runs around 15fps runs at 50-60fps unpatched on the PS5. Battle Chaser's Nightwar, a true hidden gem in the RPG genre some pretty nasty framerate issues. EDF games, have you ever played an EDF game that wasn't sub 30fps all the way down to the single digits? 60fps on PS5.

The experience on all of these PS4 games are just that much better, for nothing more than the power boost from the PS5. Because of how much I love the PS4 as a console, I value that above all else for the PS5. It may get to the point where there's more than just better versions of PS4 games, but aside from Demon's Souls, which is really just a better version of a game I already own on the PS3, PS5 doesn't really have anything that's really its own other than Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth and Baldur's Gate 3. One game isn't even out yet and one game doesn't yet have a physical release. I still do like the system for it being nothing more than a performance boost though and that's the reason I use it over the PS4. Final Fantasy 16 is another exclusive I'm interested in but as of now you may as well run the whole thing in fidelity mode at 30fps otherwise you'll get framerate issues that make it much worse when outside of combat which runs at 720p on performance mode, a bit disappointed in that.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 11-11-2023 at 11:03 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    If you play the Fire Fades version of Dark Souls 3 which includes all patches including the uncapped framerate, the game runs 60fps on PS5. Sekiro(if running unpatched) runs at 60fps on PS5, so in all of these cases the disc includes 60fps. Until Dawn, BroForce, etc, etc, etc. Games like Just Cause 3 that run with framerate issues on the PS4 run at 30fps on the PS5, this is true for many other games. Lichdom Battlemage, I can finally actually play the game, a game that runs around 15fps runs at 50-60fps unpatched on the PS5. Battle Chaser's Nightwar, a true hidden gem in the RPG genre some pretty nasty framerate issues. EDF games, have you ever played an EDF game that wasn't sub 30fps all the way down to the single digits? 60fps on PS5.
    This is a general issue I have with modern games and consoles. I don't want consoles to have the same compatibility issues as PCs. I want a console so I know that games will just play properly without various compatibility or hardware issues, they should be designed to run well on the hardware they're intended to be run on, and they shouldn't require patches either. I just want less headaches compared to using a PC.

To say that the reason to buy a PS5 is really to be able to play PS4 games less shitty, just makes me sad about both consoles. One doesn't have proprietary games, the other sucks at playing games specifically designed for it. I fully understand why you're happy with the PS5, it's just not a reason that makes me excited for these consoles. Owning a DS didn't make me happy as I could now play GBA games on it instead of on a GBA SP console, I was happy with a DS because I could play DS games on it. GBA compatibility was a nice bonus.

I did like watching a playthrough of Until Dawn on youtube, it seemed to be a well made Choose-Your-Own-Adventure style game. Of course every other similar game later made by the same studio was more mediocre, but their original game was a good game. Looking quickly online, it seems playing the game on a PS5 introduces a bug where the lantern can flail wildly, so there's positives and negatives with playing PS4 games on the PS5.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    A patch of soil where I have to pay taxes even after owning it.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Okay here are the rules.

1) If you do not own it physically then do not purchase it. I will admit there are games that I will go out of my way to own like "Horizon Chase". But the flat-fact is that when I could just run a game on my Wii or Emulator and play online what is the point? The whole idea purchasing something that you do not own and is not really giving you any advantage of that purchase asides being a pacifier or even time-burner
    has no logic. It is like beer but at least beer give me something in return....it makes use of my liver when I have to sit down and study.

Looking back at the PS3/360 era there are tons of titles to choose from that now could run clean on a well tuned PC via emulator. The sad part is the "ports" of many of these games do not do the originals justice. So now I have to why should I have a port of something only to find it was censored on the fly,
    like some USSR era painting or photo but now this is digital in real time.

All the "cash-grabs" are for those parents ( that was like our parents ) who just wanted to buy a toy for their children to enjoy. In the real working world with money, many people do not even know what a
    Videogame is outside of the words.

2) Is it worth the electrical costs. Like right now I have a 24W, 4 X9w, a 100W display, and maybe a fish tank taking 30W, and a couple of devices around 50W. You can to calculate your electrical costs. I could get the most powerful processor for my system that eats 100W or I could get one that is almost as powerful that only consumers 1/3 of that amount. With videogames your not counting PC/Labtop + GPU + Display + lighting. Your only counting Console + DIsplay/TV + Lighting.

The only benifit of owning a new game console nowadays is that if you are a five-year old kid, You remember being five-years-old? My understanding the original programmer of "Star Ocean" was around eight or twelve when he was programming videogames, being the youngest of the group. What were you doing?

3) Right now some Hong Kong based company is making a portable Game-Gear looking tv-toy that essentially is a Windows desktop. I would rather own that then some "Atheist" driven Linux device
    any day of the week. It is portable and could run on a display like an original PSP. Why isn't anybody in the US, Canada making a portable console. All we need is a SIM-card slot and we would be good to go.

4) These are your choices in comparison to yesterday

Before Now

NES Switch/Wii
    PSX PC
    Gameboy Android

Once you have that understanding then everything should be clear on what console to purchase, because by all acounts it will be on the PC or Android in the near future.

5) Wait it out. Lets be fair. When Zelda 64 was released. People brought the N64 and game brand-new.
    Then traded it in for a Sony or Dreamcast. If you look at releases from the time they were released and
    "actually had a life" you could just ignore these releases and focus on something else.

Your not a crack-cocaine addict. Your not a small child crying for the bottle or pacifier. You are not a
    teenager who has to walk outside of their nice big comfy house, with a yard, roof, basement, garage, and go smoking in the stairwell across from a family that just brought home their newborn child. Only
    to be escorted, out of the building by the police, and keep lying about smoking to your family who clearly
    smells it on your breath, clothing, and belongings.

I could wait it out. I know that game will be ported.

About "Digital Devil" series. lets be frank. It ended with a bad-end the original book, gave us the horny
    teacher from the animation. Every reincarnation of it was literally an extension to keep people playing
    the videogame. I honestly would go back the NES game and play every related game before moving on to whichever incarnation that is being released.

About Persona. If you have not noticed it, most of these games are literally repeating the last game.
    Only benifit is seeing guest characters from other games, etc. I know we all want "Breath Of Fire III" to make a comeback but Persona in my opinion just got less and less expressive and more about the limitations of console it was released on.

It is about demonic possession, which clearly is the theme of the "Digital Devil" series.

About content, saved games, and so forth. IMOpinion if I was able to physical back it up I would, and reload it on to another console or emulator. I honestly do not believe a system that is unable to hold any universal respect ( cross-platform information ) should be a console to invest in if your unable to use the same saves.

Imagine that game console that is only DLC in the dumpster a couple of years from now. What will it be used for then? I will tell you. A modder is going to install a new firm-ware, bios and just run games from
    USB or SSD they downloaded somewhere. That is the future of a DLC only device.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

This is a general issue I have with modern games and consoles. I don't want consoles to have the same compatibility issues as PCs. I want a console so I know that games will just play properly without various compatibility or hardware issues, they should be designed to run well on the hardware they're intended to be run on, and they shouldn't require patches either. I just want less headaches compared to using a PC.
    I completely agree here. On the eight generation of games, Switch included, it's actually worth owning the PS4 and Switch because there are so many great games. PS4 at least, Switch for anything that's exclusive and you'll still get 20-30 great games.

The only reason to own the PS5 is to make the rare PS4 game that can play better do so, and for that I do like the console, but I actually think that the ninth generation of games is the worst generation in gaming. There are very few AAA development studios in existence now days so your options of AAA games are extremely limited year over year compared to every other generation prior. Games are now developed as a catch all where the developers pretty much try to make the biggest net to get everyone they can and unfortunately, that's not going to be a great game for anyone who hates a lot of the modern conventions now days. Last generation indie developers were also more abundant, but it really seems there are very few shining examples of indie games now days in comparison to the previous generation so even the AA and indie studios can't really fill the gaping holes.

At this time, I'd say the current generation is even worse than the third and fourth. Not to say that the third and fourth were bad, for their time they were great, it's just that gaming exploded in the fifth generation and the more powerful hardware made games that weren't even conceivable during those generations of games, on top of the quality of games becoming substantially better. While this generation may pass up the third and fourth by its close, I can guarantee that this generation will never exceed every other generation to come after.

After this generation comes to a close, I'm going to focus on all classic consoles as well as PS3, PS4, and PSP games that I've missed purchasing. I don't do much emulation(really I don't do any emulation,) but maybe I should start. I don't play the classic games I own as often as I'd like to because most of them are in boxes and I still haven't put up yet. There's the fact that playing games digitally comes with an extreme convenience so maybe I'll just download all the games and emulate them all, the ones I find that I really like purchase those ones if I don't yet own them.

I've just been wasting too much money lately on games that, many of the last few that I've played at the very least, I really find no enjoyment in playing. Or very little. Either I'm not really enjoying gaming as much as I used to which I think is slightly the case, but more so think it's because the games now are just bad. I've been really enjoying playing through Theatrhythm Final Bar Line to the point that I'm near a platinum, then Tactics Ogre Reborn, a 10/10 imo in the past few months completed everything on the main game on a new save file and only have the side content left to do. Baldur's Gate 3 and Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth are my two most anticipated games, so there's still games out there, but I've recently just played game after game that I've hated(AAA and indie games both.)

*edit*

I am a huge Armored Core fan but I'm still pretty cheap as well, so haven't purchased Armored Core 6 as well. I was still at that point that I bought so many games that I felt that I'll just wait until everything drops in price. Buying games that "interested me" at lower cost rather than buying the games that I truly wanted at $60. Between purchasing far fewer games than I have, I'm just going to start buying games I really want when I'm ready to play them. Armored Core 6 released such a long time ago the price is bound to drop at some point soon so I'm not going to buy that one until the price drop, but when FF7 Rebirth and Baldur's Gate 3(NTSC) get their physical release I'll buy them day one.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 11-23-2023 at 12:53 PM.