Thread: Which Switch games are considered rare?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Which Switch games are considered rare?

Which games have had very limited print runs and are likely to be collector's items?
    Wanted and willing to fairly pay for:
    Final Fantasy III Hat/Cap (Official Squaresoft)
    Philips CDI 740
    NTSC Proto of Daze Before Christmas (SNES)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    nildem
    PSN
    nildem
    Steam
    nildem

One that isn't often mentioned, and it seems odd to me that this would be rare, but a *complete* copy of the Switch version of the Skylanders: Imaginators Starter Pack appears to be quite hard to find.

The Switch version released five months after the other platforms at the Switch hardware launch in March 2017. By that point it was clear that the game was a massive sales disappointment.

It's my understanding that the game sold approximately 200K across all platforms in the US, with the Switch version representing a small fraction of that. Likely somewhere in the low 5 figures. Who knows how many of those are still complete in box?

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I've heard people say Daemon X Machina is a game thats hard to find for the switch and I had a hell of a time trying to find a decent copy of the first Octopath Traveler.
    what interesting is i found a copy of Daemon X Machina today but it was covered by quite a bit of dust and the store wanted $60 for it new at a big box store. it looks like forgotten stock.

I feel like its probably one of those games that flew under the radar.
    It was easier for me to find a copy of this at Portland Retro Gaming Expo new than it was to find Octopath but it still wasnt easy.
    If i didnt already own a copy i would have bought the one i saw today at the store

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It’s pretty much impossible to try and pin down what games will be/are rare for an actively supported system. Games that are rare today can get additional print runs at any time. Which has happened a ton already. Stuff like the Atelier series, Attack on Titan, and Turnip Boy were all considered rare at one point and then were given additional print runs, thanks to VGP.

The only one Im sure that won’t happen too, that was mentioned already is Skylanders. It won’t be reprinted because of the additional toys

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Maybe Perky Little Things.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	perky-little-things-693941.5.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	11126  

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

A game store across town has a copy of Perky Little Things in one of their cases. The name and cover always grab my eye, even though I don't have a Switch.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    A patch of soil where I have to pay taxes even after owning it.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Depends on a few things give or take. In my opinion if I do not want to pick up a wii ( I mean switch ) then does it hold any value to me at all. We all know that one game somebody will want to play that is one the Switch right now ( and it is not Smash Brothers ), but maybe I will get back to it later.

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    Okay lets be fair. What you are really getting is a box-art and art-book. Despite being "mostly" uncensored, everything is still top-half only and safe for minors. In fact this game is literally inviting my twelve-year-old teen self. The art literally is something from "Kiss Comix" ( I forget the series within Kiss ) but is oblong, or SDish.

Perky little things is censored on the Switch. If you could turn off censoring via some random hidden series of button presses maybe I would consider it. However they literally released the game on just about every other computer and game system that it is on. So it makes the Switch unoriginal. ( Unlike the botched wasted moment called X-box featuring Rare ).

The game is literally something out Flash. In fact while it appears to be have Flash movement these was pre-recorded post flash preduction. You could see the transformations, and cut-out-shapes movements. In fact in term of OpenBOR TMNT remake it is literally animated just about the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6Yt_kPNr_g

Only difference this person might be using software called stickman
    to animate, That being said could be flash otherwise.

Maybe even Flash Builder ( which is used to bring flash and AIR to Android among other more technical stuff. other programming tasks ).

Right I could look for tons of flash with the art style of course being different
    with more animations. This is like a "Wild Tangent" ( Computer pack in software ) but targeted towards Teens as with Adult-Swim.

I will be honest,

While the artwork is original, it is nothing new from "Kiss Comix" or any
    variation of it ( the fact it is from South America ). That being said
    the artwork could easily be South American Comix inspiration, but is SD.
    Again the art style could be found literally in every late 1990's
    "Kiss Comix" some of it featured in "Heavy Metal Magazine". Your not
    really missing out on anything.

Clearly this is a flash game that has been toned up. I understand that
    with "Flash Builder" we are able to use flashes and convert them into
    Android Applications. Honestly I wish I knew how they were doing the
    "strech" effect, or even the movements of the body. I know programming
    this stuff in would require a lot of math but the "morphing" is clearly
    a flash implimention. That being said because this is not flash?
    I will dictate as with the OPENBOA fan made TMNT and He-man remake ( by Bwwd ) I
    could only guess they animated these illustrations in flash and then
    recorded them on a high resolution and then animated them all.

While the art is original there are many parodies of various know works,
    and lore. Like Santa-Clause, Emma-Watson, and so forth.

Your not really missing out on anything you could make yourself.

The creator of this game clearly had the purpose of using the fact that this
    is an adult XXX game on the Switch. So this is literally the equal of
    "Conkers Bad Furday" only without the gameplay mechanics, story-plot,
    usage of GPU engine, and clearly ported for fun and not profit.

While the artwork is nice the backgrounds are knda meh in various frames.
    Nicely illustrated but lack of dedication and detail. Like a setup of detail,
    or even Graphical art movement, but other areas are more detailed then others.
    Which makes a great art study. Howerver comes across as a quickly done backgrounds
    with little or no special interest in detail.

Same with "mo characters". The extras are not detailed enough.

Depends on a few things give or take. In my opinion if I do not want to pick up a wii ( I mean switch ) then does it hold any value to me at all. We all know that one game somebody will want to play that is one the Switch right now ( and it is not Smash Brothers ), but maybe I will get back to it later.

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    Okay lets be fair. What you are really getting is a box-art and art-book. Despite being "mostly" uncensored, everything is still top-half only and safe for minors. In fact this game is literally inviting my twelve-year-old teen self. The art literally is something from "Kiss Comix" ( I forget the series within Kiss ) but is oblong, or SDish.

Perky little things is censored on the Switch. If you could turn off censoring via some random hidden series of button presses maybe I would consider it. However they literally released the game on just about every other computer and game system that it is on. So it makes the Switch unoriginal. ( Unlike the botched wasted moment called X-box featuring Rare ).

The game is literally something out Flash. In fact while it appears to be have Flash movement these was pre-recorded post flash preduction. You could see the transformations, and cut-out-shapes movements. In fact in term of OpenBOR TMNT remake it is literally animated just about the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6Yt_kPNr_g

Only difference this person might be using software called stickman
    to animate, That being said could be flash otherwise.

Maybe even Flash Builder ( which is used to bring flash and AIR to Android among other more technical stuff. other programming tasks ).

Right I could look for tons of flash with the art style of course being different
    with more animations. This is like a "Wild Tangent" ( Computer pack in software ) but targeted towards Teens as with Adult-Swim.
    Last edited by Gametrek; 01-29-2024 at 04:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It’s not much, but from my POV it is probably 1 2 Switch and some anime visual novel games could be wrong

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Perky Little Things is readily available at Amazon/eBay etc. I have read that digital and physical versions were given the same PEGI rating, but the physical version is more explicit and that the book bundled with Perky Little Things is even more explicit than the game.
    Daemon X Machina is rumored to have sold out 3 days after launching in the United States. But there never seems to be a shortage of listings for the game now, albeit at a slightly higher cost than MSRP.
    Skylanders: Imaginators Starter Pack usually appears in most "rare" switch game lists. It gets listed in the three hundred dollar range. The original MSRP was around $100, so it doesn't appear to be exorbitantly priced for a large boxed game that included several toys. Forbes magazine claims that the Switch version is priced high because "it offers a hybrid physical-digital way of playing that is more flexible than on Xbox or PlayStation. Rather than requiring a Portal peripheral, you simply use the build in NFC technology to scan in your figures to the game." The people who blindly go to bat for Nintendo are legion. As someone who has collected the entire line of Skylander's games across all platforms with ALL the toys, I'll just say that the Switch Skylanders Imaginators is the worst version and not just because the games graphics underperform on the Switch. It's because Nintendo chose not to use a portal to read the characters. By doing that, the Switch version could not use any of the Skylanders Supercharger or Trap toys and so the race mode in Imaginators was unavailable as well. Skylander games work by letting people use toys purchased for previous Skylander games to work on newer versions of Skylander games. Of course this information won't mean anything to someone searching for "rare" Switch games.
    Limited Editions, Collectors Editions or versions with alternate cover art will probably end up being the rarest Switch games. I used to think ngdevdirect's Razion EX was pretty rare as it was only available from the developer's website. There were only 1,000 regular editions and 500 collector's editions made, but there has since been a reprint and I don't know the numbers now. Scalpers have many copies for sale, but at ridiculous prices. I lost interest in acquiring the Switch version when it was rumored that ngdevdirect will make a PS4 version eventually. My preference is to never play a game on a tablet if it can be avoided.
    I also though Green Hell might be a rare Switch game. Forever Limited is still selling the game, but that's the only place I ever see it.
    One last maybe rare Switch game is the physical version of Strike! Ten Pin Bowling. Most every time I find the game it is the download code version, but a physical version was sold too.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Limited Run Games messes with the calculus nowadays. The Switch library is an ocean of low print run crap. LRG has already released over 200 Switch titles.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=203011349

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Oh Shanizzle, just unearthed the doomscroll.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Demand is more important than rarity if you're just buying games for future values. Invest in copies of Pokemon games and trade them in the future for titles you want. I sold off most of the Pokemon games I had for GBA and DS before the pricing went nuts, I really could have got a good amount for them if I waited, or good trades. Too bad but it's just how things work out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Demand is more important than rarity if you're just buying games for future values. Invest in copies of Pokemon games and trade them in the future for titles you want. I sold off most of the Pokemon games I had for GBA and DS before the pricing went nuts, I really could have got a good amount for them if I waited, or good trades. Too bad but it's just how things work out.
    Eh, same thing happened to me. Smash went up, but I feel like I got the value out of the desirable rpgs. Missed out on Chulip though, that went crazy.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Lets just cut this short. Take every game released and disreguard if the following proven true.

1. If it is only on the Wii... I mean Switch then it is considered collectable.
    2. If it is less censored on the Switch or have something unique about it.
    3. If the port sucks so hard and the Switch is better.
    4. Some kind of unique experience on the Switch.

Keep in mind videogames ( all ) are TV-Toys. Remember Japan literally has no limit for the PC but limits the consoles, which is why western releases became a priority one. Then evil like SONY officially a US/French company and why there is so much censoring going on in comparison to the original PSX years where censoring was a joke in the west. Just slap a sticker that is XXX, 18-up on it and call it a day. Outside of unofficial releases.

And Winnie the Pooh is a horror series alongside steam-boat-Mickey

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Pretty much. The demand is out of control on everything relative to the supply. Now the rare games are 5x what they were worth 15 years ago, and the common games are worth 2x-3x what they were worth 15 years ago. Pokemon is a particularly egregious example. I could have paid off student loans with the amount of stuff I bought and sold on this very forum if I had just held it all like some long term stock investment.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Limited Run Games messes with the calculus nowadays. The Switch library is an ocean of low print run crap. LRG has already released over 200 Switch titles.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=203011349
    This list is isn't even fully accurate. It doesn't have Star Wars Episode 1 Racer for Switch and contains Castlevania Rondo of Blood for TurboGrafx which as I understand it has not been released.
    Last edited by Baloo; 03-03-2024 at 02:58 PM.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I can't remember if Rondo of Blood was one of the Castlevania Collection games. It wouldn't make sense to release it separately if it was. (had to have the NES trilogy, SCV4, Bloodlines and Kid Dracula. Were the remaining two Rondo and Haunted Castle?) No, probably not because I think the GB trilogy was in there somewhere. Maybe it was just the NES, SNES (excluding Dracula X which I recall they saved as bonus for the Advance Collection) and GB games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think PS2 REZ reprint answered that question. IT was rare selling hot, and then magically a fresh batch was printed. So now we have two copies floating around,. However that was like a slap in the face from the publisher. They think "people buy REZ to play it" when people not only play it but collect it.
    So if the Switch did the same thing would it matter?

Question? if a game is ported to the Switch and it gets a remake which is on PC, which version matters?

It is like GCN and Beyond Good and Evil or PSO. If Ubisoft and SEGA had focus on the GCN alone would it be a better game and would have been more collectable, because the fact you can still play those games on a Wii. We would have BGAE 4 by now.