Thread: He brought back "Space Harrier" as "Air Twisters"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    A patch of soil where I have to pay taxes even after owning it.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default He brought back "Space Harrier" as "Air Twisters"

Space harriers last release was the PS2 simple set from SEGA.
    A 3d do on of Space-Harriers.

Now if you ever wanted to get high on "Queen" ( the band ) or something that sounds like a
    weird Japanese commercial, and not see the back-side of a guy, while riding on anything but
    a panzer-dragon, you must play "Air Twisters".

I mean it is almost the way games need to be. With the colors and life the
    Mark III/ Master System that we all remember from games like "Fantasy Zone".

Yes there is some reality, with bland washed out colors, to our heroine screaming in
    pain like if she stepped on a needle. However the rest of everything makes up
    for it.

However in comparison the gameplay to "Space Harriers" is a lot easier, as the
    game originaly was an iOS game.

The only sad part is that I am not playing this on a Wii. With the Wii board and or
    chucks.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I did not know the "He" you were talking about until I Googled Space Harrier and the name Yu Suzuki appeared. I had seen Air Twister at Amazon in the budget section, but I would never have associated the game with Space Harrier. The reviews I have read for the game are not very flattering. I saw that Yu Suzuki's name is credited on the back cover art, so that's cool. I see the German publisher ININ on the cover art and they often partner with Strictly Limited Games who also sold a version of Air Twister. I actually prefer Strictly Limited's cover art for Air Twister and it sold for $29 also, but is sold out. The pictures of the games contents at Strictly Limited appear to show a multi page game manual was included. The retail version of Air Twister has a two page fold out manual showing the control scheme. I wish I could find out more about the Strictly Limited manual to see if it justifies paying a scalper price on eBay. Not that I'm into 3rd person forced scrolling rail shooters. But somehow I've managed to collect a bunch of them. In fact I just added Battle Ace for the SuperGrafx the other day. Because of the pedigree, I will definitely be adding Air Twister to my collection. But I will most likely wait until I can snag it for $$19.

Quote Originally Posted by Gametrek View Post
    Space harriers last release was the PS2 simple set from SEGA.
    A 3d do on of Space-Harriers.
    Space Harrier wasn't a Simple 2000 game on the PS2. There was a 2003 Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 4: Space Harrier and a 2005 Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 20: Space Harrier Complete Collection released in Japan. But the last Space Harrier on a console was 2014 SEGA 3D Fukkoku Archives on the 3DS, also released in Japan.

The only sad part is that I am not playing this on a Wii. With the Wii board and or
    chucks.
    I like sarcasm. Is this a joke?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    I did not know the "He" you were talking about until I Googled Space Harrier and the name Yu Suzuki appeared.
    Yup exactly.

Air Twister at Amazon in the budget section, but I would never have associated the game with Space Harrier.
    It is official. The problem was that it was an Apple iOS game originally you played with your fingers.
    They can not call it "SH" or "PH" because it is an entirely different chapter. That being said if somebody using iOS had associated it with SH, the game would probably have been passed off as a typical clone, rather original title.

The reviews I have read for the game are not very flattering.
    Asides being on the iOS first, the game ( like Ms. Pacman with fruits targeting women )
    was made easier in comparison to a Space Harrier game. They made game for people who do not play games. SH was 1980's original inspired by many things, PH was the move to 3d, Simple 2500 ( note you could say Atari 2600 by accident ) had a 3d remake for the PS2, "AT" literally brings you back to "Fantasy Zone" ( AKA Pu$$yland from "P.D. Police" ) and have all kinds of critters ( that literally are "Panzer Dragon" ) via various battles associated with the story ( like Panzer Dragon ).

Point being is that the game is literally a Japanese commercial from the 1980's or 1990's, that was actually fun.

In comparison to Harriers it is actually more easy ( still challenging ).

German publisher
    My understanding Yu Suzuki actually got this band that specializing in specific music from Germany.
    That is why you literally hear the "Queen" like theme, which is essentially is an original piece that
    dodges the bullet of licensing the real music. Like how most Videogames, DVD intro's uses stock-music,
    and or sounds

I wish I could find out more about the Strictly Limited manual to see if it justifies paying a scalper price on eBay. Not that I'm into 3rd person forced scrolling rail shooters. But somehow I've managed to collect a bunch of them. In fact I just added Battle Ace for the SuperGrafx the other day. Because of the pedigree, I will definitely be adding Air Twister to my collection. But I will most likely wait until I can snag it for $$19.
    Shooters are shooters. I just wish it was the Wii or used Wii controller stuff.

Space Harrier wasn't a Simple 2000
    game on the PS2. There was a 2003 Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 4: Space Harrier and a 2005 Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 20: Space Harrier Complete Collection released in Japan. But the last Space Harrier on a console was 2014 SEGA 3D Fukkoku Archives on the 3DS, also released in Japan.
    I checked out that 2014 Fukkoku 3DS thingy. Nope. That was an exploit to use the 3DS display option.
    I mean honestly not even worth the time or effort asides generating a cash grab. Which I understand from SEGA. I mean okay if you have a 3DS that is good for you, but honestly I never really care for the so called feature.

I like sarcasm. Is this a joke?
    I wish it was a Joke. I mean resolution wise maybe but beyond that the Wii Board, and chucks, would have been nice to ride around a ( whatever flying creature that is not panzer dragon ) and shoot things in the air. The only other game that does this and looks good is the "Sin and Punishment" sequel. That Wii Board needs love asides the Wii Fit series ( whatever Fit games ). Air Spinners is great. Even on the Computer we could be using the Wii-board and remote/chuck via this game. The least the PS2 eye-toy, swinging your hands around and making pew pew motions and sounds. It is like "Space Channel 5" with this game, and it just gets faster, and looks like pure-sex.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Shooters are shooters. I just wish it was the Wii or used Wii controller stuff.
    Ahhh! The Wii board, of course! That would have made for some interesting gameplay. The Nintendo Wii had a bunch of rail shooters. Do you know of any compatible with the board?

Yeah I know a shooter is a shooter, but if the game manual in the Strictly Limited version was more than a two page layout of the control scheme like retail versions, it might be worth paying a scalper price for the game. Most people don't give a damn about game manuals and most games don't even have game manuals anymore. But if the Strictly Limited manual had several pages of useful information or backstory, it would be worth it for me. Besides, I thought the Strictly Limited cover art was better looking.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

I checked out that 2014 Fukkoku 3DS thingy. Nope. That was an exploit to use the 3DS display option.
    I mean honestly not even worth the time or effort asides generating a cash grab.
    Err... what?

The 3DS version of Space Harrier is arguably the best version of Space Harrier to exist short of playing an original cab, and even that could be debated due to the 3DS additions. There's a ton of attention to detail paid to it by M2, lots of options to tune the gameplay to your liking, and if you don't like 3D you aren't forced to play it in such. Turn the 3D off and it's basically the (excellent) Switch port on a smaller screen. It cost like 2 bucks more than the barebones Wii Virtual Console releases and a fraction of the price of any of the previous inferior console ports.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    Err... what?

The 3DS version of Space Harrier is arguably the best version of Space Harrier to exist short of playing an original cab, and even that could be debated due to the 3DS additions. There's a ton of attention to detail paid to it by M2, lots of options to tune the gameplay to your liking, and if you don't like 3D you aren't forced to play it in such. Turn the 3D off and it's basically the (excellent) Switch port on a smaller screen. It cost like 2 bucks more than the barebones Wii Virtual Console releases and a fraction of the price of any of the previous inferior console ports.
    Lets be realstic.

A. Yes the 3ds version is unique but that is more or less saying the NES 3d glasses or even any other port of the same game.

B. The 32X is literally as good as console port anybody could get. I could run it via Homebrew Channel on my Wii. That and Mame I guess.

C. In terms of Air Twisters and the "Wii Board" I am thinking along the lines of the Hydrolic Chair used in
    SEGA games that used it via the arcade. So there is no real port of Space Harriers because you would need the actual chair for the full experience.
    Last edited by Gametrek; 02-15-2024 at 02:35 PM. Reason: O

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Lets be realstic.

A. Yes the 3ds version is unique but that is more or less saying the NES 3d glasses or even any other port of the same game.
    The 3DS version is 60fps, proper 16:9 widescreen, adds additional boss from the SMS port, has proper analog stick controls, and even simulates the moving display and cabinet noises of the arcade version. Even in 2D mode it's objectively as close as you could get to an arcade experience without actually using a cab.

If you consider all that a gimmicky cash grab that's inferior or no more unique than any other port from 30 years ago, that's an unusual perspective.