Thread: Sand paper + cart edge contacts = BAD

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default Sand paper + cart edge contacts = BAD

There is a reason why this isn't a good idea, yet I continue to see discussion of sandpaper as an 'viable' option to cleaning the contact edges of cartridges.

Simply put, sanding roughens up the surface and destroys the gold plating originally bonded to the metal traces. While aesthetically ugly, the real danger are gouges in the metal that are then succeptable to oxidization and rust. So while there may be a stubborn spot or already rust in that next cartridge you inspect, the proper way to tackle such problems is to take a fine steel/copper wire brush, preferably on a dremel, and tackle that in a precise manner. If you can get a smooth, velvet brushed texture finish then you're good to go.

You could even re-plate the surface in gold if you had the proper equipment, which is something I'll be looking into in the near future. The gold plating itself is invaluable in that it prevents corrosion and provides better, more even conductivity.

By no means should sanding or steel brushing be considered a first or even second resort, never underestimate the removing power of a white erasure.

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Sand paper + cart edge contacts = BAD

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst
    There is a reason why this isn't a good idea, yet I continue to see discussion of sandpaper as an 'viable' option to cleaning the contact edges of cartridges.

Simply put, sanding roughens up the surface and destroys the gold plating originally bonded to the metal traces. While aesthetically ugly, the real danger are gouges in the metal that are then succeptable to oxidization and rust. So while there may be a stubborn spot or already rust in that next cartridge you inspect, the proper way to tackle such problems is to take a fine steel/copper wire brush, preferably on a dremel, and tackle that in a precise manner. If you can get a smooth, velvet brushed texture finish then you're good to go.

You could even re-plate the surface in gold if you had the proper equipment, which is something I'll be looking into in the near future. The gold plating itself is invaluable in that it prevents corrosion and provides better, more even conductivity.

By no means should sanding or steel brushing be considered a first or even second resort, never underestimate the removing power of a white erasure.
    Here , Here !!!!
    I totally agree. I used to use fingernail files to clean the contacts, but as you said it leads to worse corrosion later. Now I use my dremel and polish it smooth. More time and effort but much better in the long run.
    And my brother has a gold plating machine so I think I'll give that a try to. Thanks !!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used sandpaper to clean NES pin connectors, but that's a whole different story.

If you were exceptionally careful, and wet sanded with a 1500 or 2000 grit, you could probably get away with it. I would only do that after all other attempts failed. Not that I've ever actually done it, tho.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sandpaper? :/

I always used rubbing alcohol and a qtip, but I'll have to try jon's dremel method. THat sounds much more effective.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default Re: Sand paper + cart edge contacts = BAD

Quote Originally Posted by jonjandran
    And my brother has a gold plating machine so I think I'll give that a try to. Thanks !!!
    That's a sweet deal, because the nature of using cartridges leads to the gold plating wearing thin eventually anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How about a fine fibreglass electronics brush?

I've successfully used that once, on a cart that seemed totally dead, after everything else was tried to it's fullest. Makes sense though, that abrasions in the contacts would introduce increased wear in the future.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon
    How about a fine fibreglass electronics brush?
    To be honest I don't have any experience with that, nor have I ever heard of it. How abrasive is it? As far as brushes go I use acid brushes, which are about the consistency between a toothbrush and a paintbrush and typically used to wash off residue after soldering.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.hmcelectronics.com/cgi-bi...0005/3040-0005

Pic on the far right. Hair like strands of fibreglass that wear away a bit as you brush. I've found it handy for a number of things.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I shall have to investigate further into this! I have a few pieces of plastic that came to me oxidized.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VGKYOURMOM

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy
    I used sandpaper to clean NES pin connectors, but that's a whole different story.

If you were exceptionally careful, and wet sanded with a 1500 or 2000 grit, you could probably get away with it. I would only do that after all other attempts failed. Not that I've ever actually done it, tho.
    I just want to let you know that 1500-2000 grit wet sandpaper is proabably really, really cautious. When you wet sand a vehicle before you repaint it you only use 400 wet sand and that will leave the car as smooth as a baby's bottom, plus you have to change the pad every 2 minutes because after that all the grit wears off.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have never had a single dead nes cart that could not be brought back. The best thing that works for me is a standard pencil eraser. No fear in damaging anything and they leave the contacts nice and clean.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i will agree to all.......1500 sand paper is merely touching anything because it will all get worn away(exactly as dave said, i worked on cars too!! and it sucked. ) and the white eraser usually does the job for connections that are reachable.......but i dont have the tools to take nes carts apart......and to be honest........i've never really had an nes cart that didn't cooperate......maybe my stuff is just clean........or i'm patient enough for it to not work once or twice. and i can claim to the fiberglass brush being a great tool. and i must say.......those are the best prices i've seen for them. when i was younger and had far less knowledge.........i would get old coins and clean them with my dads fiberglass brush.......identical to the ones pictured.......and you could barely see a date on the coin before i started......and then, voala.....you can see the date. but i would brush lightly with it......and don't get your hands all over the brush....that really sucks. and i talked to my dad about cleaning contacts(repairs organs....some have pc like cards(ex: pci, isa...)) and he sticks with a white eraser.....then alcohol.....then a qtip. and he's the best damn organ technician i know of so he can't be too wrong.

-Mark