Thread: Gamecube price drop to $99 looming

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Gamecube price drop to $99 looming

According to a post on fatwallet.com this is from the 10/7/03 Wal Mart ad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well, that WOULD sale more Gamecubes
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

This begs the question: will they be removing the "Buy a New Cube get one of these games or GB Player free"?

I see no note of it in the ad, but then, the GB player is pictured right there on "sale" too.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Achika
    This begs the question: will they be removing the "Buy a New Cube get one of these games or GB Player free"?

I see no note of it in the ad, but then, the GB player is pictured right there on "sale" too.
    I think the "official" end of the free game promo was the end of August but was extended indefinitely. I think Nintendo had planned a price drop after the promo ended but didn't want to make the first move.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, yes, YES! I knew that I was blessed with that third, extra payperiod in October for a good reason, and here it is! My patience has paid off!

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I believe that the "get something free" promotion ended with this month's marketing. But honestly, with that promo, weren't they already selling the system for $99?
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm

I believe that the "get something free" promotion ended with this month's marketing. But honestly, with that promo, weren't they already selling the system for $99?
    Yes, but the stupid consumer doesn't take that into account. They see $149, with... and stop right there. Now they see $99!

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Could'nt this just be a sale by Wal-Mart alone for a week or so?

And if the GC drops to $99, will that force Microsoft and Sony to respond?
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Pretzel (Level 4) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    Couldn't this just be a sale by Wal-Mart alone for a week or so?
    Even if it is, you can expect the rest of the competition to do the same or similar for as long as Wally's price drop lasts. Wal-Mart is just that powerful, in truth. (You could call them the "PlayStation 2" of mass-market retailing. ) And if I'm not mistaken, I believe Wal-Mart runs two-week advertised prices.

I would definitely expect the Xbox to slip to $129, but it's hard to say whether Sony would do the same. If the PS2 -- the unquestioned market leader, for Pete's sake -- does go that low, I'd begin to think twice about the health of the video game market on the whole. x_x

The same goes for the Game Boy Advance SP -- if it ever drops below, say, $79 in the next year or so, then you'll know something's wrong.

Duncan
    Active systems owned: Wii, X360, PS3
    Inactive systems owned: RCA, INTV2, NES, SMS, Genesis, Lynx, SNES, Saturn, PS1, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, Xbox, GC, PSP, DS
    Systems wanted: Coleco, 7800, TG16, GG, 3DS, Vita, WiiU

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

There was no major price drop from Nintendo regarding the GCN. That's the kind of info I would see at work since I translate most software and hardware in-house communiqués as well as work on CompuSmart and Compucentre flyers and posters.

Of course, if there really isn't a price drop, then it means that Wal-Mart is selling the GCN at a deficit (ie. no profit) price point. You see, consoles are sold in stores almost at the same price as the cost the chains pay to the console makers.

AFAIK, Nintendo's free bundled game or Game Boy Player promo ended recently. Again, we didn't work on any updates of the poster (which was the second one since the first version didn't have the GBP listed). However, I'm sure Nintendo will have some other bundle announced (or maybe that price drop we're talking about) in time for the Christmas season.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

It also seems possible that Wal-Mart is simply repackaging the GameCube and Game Boy Player combo, selling them separately and really not losing anything in the process. If the Game Boy Players are selling well then this would be a good strategy to both continue selling them AND show a price drop on the console itself.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist

Yes, but the stupid consumer doesn't take that into account. They see $149, with... and stop right there. Now they see $99!
    I agree, by dropping the price point to under a hundred dollars they will sell more. This is the main reason why I haven't bought one yet. because I can get any one of those games elsewhere for under 20 dollars (excluding GB player and Zelda WW) maybe not necessarilly new, but still in great shape!
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    It also seems possible that Wal-Mart is simply repackaging the GameCube and Game Boy Player combo, selling them separately and really not losing anything in the process. If the Game Boy Players are selling well then this would be a good strategy to both continue selling them AND show a price drop on the console itself.
    If there's a Rollback, it usually means there's a cost reduction from the vendor. It also normally means it's a permanent price, not a 2 week sale, hence why it's on "Rollback" and not on "Sale".

As for the splitting up of items in a package, it's doubtful unless something major happened with a vendor and we decided to pull our weight and have them create a package especially for Wal-Mart. This does happen, but usually not on something like this.

Oh.. did I say We? Well given my location, I guess that sort of gives away where I work, eh?

Brian

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    I seriously doubt either will drop their price. The last price drop, when the Xbox & PS2 went from $199 to $179, Nintendo stayed at $149 - so Nintendo's just now catching up, albeit with a bigger drop.

And sadly, I don't know if Microsoft or Sony are concerned with the GameCube anymore.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm

Ooops, shows how much I know. Sunday was the first day I worked since August and of course we didn't sell any cubes. Besides, I only sold one cube as a budle during the entire promotion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

While being somewhat of a response to the XBox/PS2 price drops, it's probably equally as much of a response to the recent news storys of developers dropping development for the Gamecube (first Acclaim, shortly followed by Eidos).

As far as marketing goes, it's a pretty good idea. I would place the Gamecube in DEEP third on my next-gen console interest list, and I've already been thinking about buying one at $99. As a huge Star Wars fan, I've been known for buying consoles just for the SW games (I still have my N64/Pod Racer package box up in the closet.

Flack

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wal-Mart may also see that the GameCube IS the least popular of the 3 consoles and considering not stocking it anymore...

I got my Dreamcast with Sonic Adventure, Sonic Shuffle, a controller AND VMU for only $95 bucks and 8 different games for 5 bucks each when they quit stocking the DC back in July 2001.

EDIT- By the way, thats in CDN dollars too!!

Alex Kidd
    The Weed Of Crime Bears Bitter Fruit You Old Hag!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not looking to get any of the consoles right now, but if I was, I think the Gamecube would be my first choice. Of course, I've often had out-of-the-mainstream tastes, so I guess that figures. I loved the 5200 and the Dreamcast, almost always vote for losing candidates, worked in and loved college radio, and don't like SUVs. It stands to reason I'd like the Gamecube.
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I cannot see how Nintendo is making any profit at all with this Gamecube console, how can you sell a console that cheap and make profit, let alone the money invested in the console back?

I have supported Nintendo always, but I really think they need to pick up their act if they want to be a serious competitor in the console wars.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Okay, I walked into Target tonight, and stared at the console, still at $149.99 I have determined that if it does drop, it's mine. Games are pretty cheap, and I think there will be a lot of rarities in the future, I played Cubivore at a friend's house once, never seen it since.
    #vbender