Thread: Greatest RPG moment?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Default Greatest RPG moment?

When and in what RPG did you feel the greatest since of accomplishment? Mine was definitely beating FF1, even though the ending sucked...FF3 was a close second. Although, on the other hand, Dragon Warrior IV's ending sucked, especially for the amount of time it took to beat the final boss.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Ascending Wordsmith's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On Final Fantasy VIII, I always wanted Jumbo Cactuar as one of my GFs. I was at the highest level and I happened to run into him on the desert island. With my level at it's highest, the HP of the Jumbo Cactuar was around 600,000. The battle never seemed to end; even when I'd deal out some serious damage, he'd run away. This happened a number of times ( 8 ), but the ninth time the cactuar tumbled over and became part of my team!

The same can be said of Tonberry King. I had to fight 24 Tonberries to even face the King. With their HP at about 40,000 it took quite awhile to get to the King, whose HP was at 265,000. Talk about time consuming!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In gaming, I've never felt as satisfied with myself as I did upon finishing Final Fantasy II (aka FFIV). It was the first console RPG I owned, and I savored every plot twist and boss battle with the obsessive ardor that only a game-crazed adolescent can muster. And the well-done ending didn't hurt, either.

In the years that followed, I played through RPGs that were more rewarding, but like they say, you never forget your first time.

And they must be talking about games, right?

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I've beaten a bunch of games, but the "moments" to me are the great battles won by the narrowest of margins. Almost everyone dead, just a few HP and MP left, and that final blow that knocks the baddies out.

1. In Pool of Radiance (I played this thru on a C64), there's a surprise battle where, at a fairly low level, you're up against a horde of Orcs, wild pigs, and a few trolls. The magnitude of the battle was mindblowing to me at the time, and I remember having to play through it a half dozen times until my small party was able to fend 'em all off. That screen, as it first appeared, is indelibly etched in my mind.

2. Though I can't remember the boss, there's a hidden room in FFII (SNES) that I believe you fight in space (?) or against a starfield of some kind. He's EXTREMELY tough, and even after thrashing the rest of the game it took me several tries with a maxed-out party to beat him. What WAS his name? There was some tie-back to an earlier FF game - I'm terrible with plotlines since I play so many I can't remember who came from what game!

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

DP, that was Zeromus you're thinking of.

Some my greatest moments was watching the amazing endings for FF2/4 and FF3/6..and more recently how happy I felt finally beating Lunar: SSSC.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, Zeromus was the actual Main boss. I know who you're talking about, Joe, there are a couple of those guys in the last area. They're each protecting an ultimate weapon for each of the characters.

My favorite moment was when Kefka fucked up the world. I also liked the doom train in FFIII/VI.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My best RPG moment is when Sephiroth kills Aeris in FF7, I had been playing it with my friends for a couple of weeks and all of us were sitting there like it was a movie (long summer).
    Conform. Consume. Obey.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Actually Kefka shattering the world was disturbing and heartbreaking..as was Aeris being killed...along with some scenes from Lunar.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is a room in the tallest tower in Bard's Tale 1 that has 99 groups of 99 heavy level Orcs (if i remember they were Orcs, could have been Golems) talk about battle spam, Firehorn does 14 dmg to Orc, Firehorn does 20 dmg to orc.... etc when I came out of that victorious the first time I was all smiles for days.. (the key to that battle was/is the AoE weapons, which i didn't have at first)
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

That would be 4 groups of 99 Berserkers. You'd fire off the horn, and 2 group spells hopefully, and kill most of 3 groups if you were lucky. Then get the text scrolling ultra fast as the remainder tried to hit you! It took about 15-20 minutes to finish at least... but you did get a lot of XP for it!

Certain moments in Zelda 3, and leaving the forest and Saria in OOT were pretty moving...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

that was it! thanks MayhemUK I can always count on you to remember those obscure C64/Amiga game facts that I have already started to forget.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Definately when I beat OZMA in FF9. Man, that made my heart skip a beat. I trained for weeks to be that fat blob. My characters HP were at 9999 and levels quite high (I don't think I hit 99.)

Man, he was hard. It twas just too bad that his Doomsday healed me/reflected back at him! AHHA! :Fade-color
    www.kessnet.tk
    Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Beating the first RPG I've ever played, Phantasy Star was probably it for me. It all went sort of downhill from there although I still played several RPG's up until about Chrono Trigger/FFIII.. After that I pretty much lost interest in them and can no longer really play them. I tried playing the psx releases of chrono, FF, and Dragon Warrior, but I just can't do it anymore. :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Adding to my previous post, when I got the airship for the first time in FF1 really stands out in my mind as an extemely proud moment. I think I must have spent close to 5 minutes doing nothing but zooming across the board, laughing at the mountains that once confined me Also, the opera scene in FF3; I liked the change of pace with the acting and all.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While not particularly graphical or amazing, there was a certain emotion attached to reaching "the end of all time" in Chrono Trigger...dunno. Maybe it was just the whole concept of it, but it's still pretty cool.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know, I don't really have a favorite part, but my favorite character is Kefka from FF3, he owned

- verrive
    Headshots, better to give than to recieve.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One of my greatest senses of accomplishment wasn't even BEATING this game;

In Golvellius on the Sega Master System, I spent about 2 weeks trying to find the aqua boots.
    Anyone whos played that game knows there's a 'hole' in every screen, it's just a matter of finding out how to reveal it.
    For the aqua boots you have to kill a LOT of pymgy skeletons, which is NOT easy (at least not when I was 9!) I used to kill quite a few, but it was never enough apparently, and just disposed of the idea of body count being the way to find it, then one day, playing, they cornered me, and I fought like a bastard to get out, and sure enough I killed enought, and within that cave there were the aqua boots!!!

Plus I felt pretty dandy when I beat Shining Force 1, but the WORST thing ever happeneed to me when I did it.
    See I was grounded for some reason, and not alowwed to play me sega, but it WAS still in my room, so I used to play it on the sly, I beat SF, and then I heard mom coming, so I HAD to turn it off, cause if she found out I was playing I'd have REALLY lost it then. So I had to go back and beat it AGAIN to see all the ending!

Alex Kidd
    The Weed Of Crime Bears Bitter Fruit You Old Hag!