Thread: Dragon's Lair DVD is utter crap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Dragon's Lair DVD is utter crap.

The dvd's are I believe outta production so no worry of mass spread of this horrible product, but I had to just say:

THESE DVD'S SUCK!

I'm amazed by the lack of any comment such as this anywhere on the internet. It's obvious the Dragon Lair fanbase, and anybody who gives a crap obviously doesn't give a crap anymore as most reviewers say it's great?!!

I hate to think that younger gamers will play this piece of crap thinking that it's how the original played. I've heard some reviewers say "the game pauses slightly, but is worth buying as it's authentic", WTF?! What universe am I on? Since when is the entire fanbase of Dragons Lair so, well, um, stupid! I must have missed the
    "jaded" Dragons Lair fanbase meeting, cause well, I still love it! These dvd's
    are no good representation of what the games where/are. The slowdown/pauses RUIN the games 100%, no excuse they suck.

The only good thing on these DVD's are some interviews/starcade episodes, and the ability to watch the game sans pauses, other than that though do yourself a favor and skip these horrible dvd's, if you actually like to play the game, *points to self*.

Btw PhosphorDot, I've read your Dragons Lair review, how can you even use these DVD's as an example, surely you played the original arcade versions? I mean if you never liked Dragons Lair, fine, but to use the DVD's as a base of your opinion is just strange, cause how can you say that the pauses are just the same as the arcade version?! You musta lived in a bad neighborhood where it got beat to a bloody pulp or something, cause that statement is just false.

Btw this post was not directed solely at you, you're just one of many out there with strange hatred or bias towards Dragons Lair. As a matter of fact I was reading amazon.com reviews, then I remembered your review. It seems there's alot of bias both ways with this game as of late. The ones who love it, love it too much, and the ones that hate it usually don't know, or realize what they're saying, actually both sides do that.

Me thinks the Dragons Lair fanbase be tainted.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whoof! Back the train up just a bit! Yes, they aren't the best representation, but they aren't THAT bad. The pauses are atrocious on some DVD players, but on others, there IS no pausing! I have an el cheapo postable DVD player. When I play DL on it, there's no pausing between moves. None. It's fantastic. (However, my Space Ace DVD is acually unplayable on it. C'est la vie.) And have you tried some of the DVD that aren't "reactionary," like Sherlock Holmes, Dracula, or Shadoan? A fun way to get that FMV kick on the go.

Anyway, the DVDs aren't the best, but for those without an arcade machine or a Sega CD or a Jaguar CD or a 3DO or whatever, it's kinda the only thing out there.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah I know i'm going off the deep end a bit, but when you read review after review of how great they are and that the pauses are normal "which they are not", and you spend $50 on a piece o' crap then you get kinda liberal, ahah, j/k.

Seriously though in almost every review everyone states that the game has lenghthy pauses, and most say it's common, which is what's truly at question here, cause from my experience Dragons Lair never paused for nearly 2 seconds, more like a split second. If I need Dragons Lair on the go then i'll take my CDI versions cause they are far superior, even though the score screen is added at least the gameplay is intact and authentic.

Also I don't have time to check the compatibilty to see which DVD player works best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What is this Sherlock Holmes DVD? A port of Consulting Detective, or something brand new?
    ________
    INTERRACIAL COUPLE
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 04-01-2011 at 05:55 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do yourself a favor and try playing Dragons Lair via Daphne on the Xbox. It ROCKS. Arcade perfect lemme tell ya. And you can play version 1.0, 1.2, and 2.0 of Dragons Lair. Ditto for Space Ace. Toss those piece o' crud non-arcade perfect dvd versions back in the closet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

You can find out quite a bit about the various incarnations of Dragon's Lair here: http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/ . Apparently, some of the cheaper DVD players are basically computer DVD-ROM's in a box, thus the lack of pauses on those units. I'm with Tim though, they aren't really worthless... just disappointing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just picked up the latest PSW mag here in the UK and as well as a tips book and a disc containing previews etc, they've actually given away the full Dragon's Lair game!

Just turn the disc over and it'll play in a DVD player. I've just tried it on my PS2 and although there are pauses, it's a bargain at £3.99 including the mag and other stuff.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanx, I ALMOST bought one of these. Besides xbox, what's the best way to play this game as close to arcade perfect as possible. (No xbox for me yet, so that's out)
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The Phillips CD-I versions are the best i've played, though it does add a score screen in between stages which the Arcade game didn't have. Really though I kinda like the score screen, it encourages you to do better and get a better score, the game itself runs like a champ too.

I doubt anything less than the actual Arcade cabinet though will be Arcade perfect, a shame really, they should make a port 100% accurate with no modifications, how hard could it be! I at least give props to the DVD's for "trying" to make the authentic version, too bad it sucks so bad. Unless there's another Arcade perfect version out there
    "other than the actual Arcade cabinet" I don't know about it...

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    What is this Sherlock Holmes DVD? A port of Consulting Detective, or something brand new?
    Sherlock Holmes, Consulting Detective for your DVD player. Yup, *DVD* player:

http://www.consulting-detective.com/

And Dracula Unleashed for your DVD player. Yup, the Sega CD game for your *DVD* player:

http://www.draculaunleashed.com/

(I'm kind of a fan of DVD-playable games.)
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I agree they aren't the best, but for 10 bucks it wasn't THAT bad. I haven't noticed the pauses until someone mentioned it. I guess I better find that arcade version and re-compare the two!
    #vbender

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm... my post seems to have disappeared. Gee, I wonder why that happened? x_x Looks like some Dragon's Lair fans couldn't stand to read the truth about this overrated game.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sniderman
    Sherlock Holmes, Consulting Detective for your DVD player. Yup, *DVD* player:

http://www.consulting-detective.com/
    Astonishing. I thought Sherlock Holmes was widely regarded as an example of the kind of low-quality "game" that was so prevalent in the "multimedia" era. I suppose next they'll release Compton's Interactive Encyclopedia on DVD.
    ________
    Vaporizer affiliate program
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 04-01-2011 at 06:00 AM.