Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New HORRID EGM article

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Default New HORRID EGM article

For anyone who has the latest issue of EGM, there is an article in which they claim to sit 6 kids down and let them play some "classics" whih is supposed to tell us if these really are good games, or just good to "the older crowd who grew up playing them." First and foremost, half of these things said seem way off for a 10-11 year old. Maybe it's just me, but something isn't right here. Second, they never say what system these games are being played on. ET is obvious, but what version of Space Invaders are they playing? Am I missing something? They show a SNES and NES, but no other mention is made. The entire article is a complete farse in my view. I was haning with EGM through the change, but this article has me rethinking the 'zine.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Anyone got a scan of this article? I'd like to read it, but I refuse to buy EGM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd say that many parents are starting their kids off on NES and SNES games, then moving them slowly into the newer systems. I haven't seen the article yet, can you post some quotes, or maybe the general opinion of the article (did kids hate older games? did they enjoy them?)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

I wish someone would scan it, but here's a few quotes from the kids (who HATED everything they played)

Playing Donkey Kong:

"It's princess peach!"
    "No, it's a hooker."

Playing Space Invaders:

"This is nothing compared to GTA III because you can't steal a taxi cab, pick up somebody, and drive them into the river."
    "Yeah, and you can't pick up an AK-47 and go kill."
    "I'm sure everyone who made this game is dead."

The worst part is that there's an occasional EGM quote strewn about, but none of them ever give the kids any info about the games, just blatantly stupid quotes. Worse yet, I've concluded that there playing Space Invaders on the SNES (because of the pic). Go figure.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My 12 year old son loves 16 bit games. He's had various gameboys since the color version and he loves playing my Nomad. At our local second hand video game store he looks thru the Genesis carts regularly and he even bought, with his own money, Vector Man. Makes me so proud!

Metal Slug and Gundam Wing Endless Duel are his current favorites and he's really been digging on shmups lately. So I i'm getting him Ikaruga (GC) for his B-Day.

I don't think he's real interested in 8 bit gaming tho.

If he was allowed to play the GTA games I know he'd be all over those too but I think he's pretty open minded to gaming systems that are older than he is.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod
    Playing Donkey Kong:

"It's princess peach!"
    "No, it's a hooker."
    Now that's kinda humorous. Outside of that it's really a shameful article.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

Quote Originally Posted by anotherfluke
    I'd say that many parents are starting their kids off on NES and SNES games, then moving them slowly into the newer systems.
    I disagree with that one. My nephew is 14 and has lots of friends, and hes says none of the have the older systems. I think only kids with parents that play or have played and know something about the old systems are started off with them.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

that article was published in the September issue of EGM, wasn't it? I just got the October issue (with Socom II on the cover) and there is no such article in it.

On a related topic, have you guys read Gamespy's 25 most overrated games list and Penny Arcade's take on it? I agree with Tycho: I don't understand why GameSpy is blasting DK Country so much. Oh, and now the Gamespy crew is saying that it overshadowed Yoshi's Island. I love Yoshi's Island too, but I wouldn't go and say that DK Country is as overrated as they say it is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Yeah, it's the Sept. issue. You JUST got the Oct. issue?? I think you have a complaint.

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have almost every system ever made , and my kids won't play the 8 bit or below.
    They will play the Genesis and SNES some , but mostly it's N64 , PS1, PS2 , XBox and Gamecube.
    They say the old games are boring. I think we have to face the facts. Video Games (like movies) have grown up. What used to sell only sold and was fun because it had never been done before. Now it's just outdated.
    We always are looking for better and more realistic entertainment.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Retsudo
    I disagree with that one. My nephew is 14 and has lots of friends, and hes says none of the have the older systems. I think only kids with parents that play or have played and know something about the old systems are started off with them.
    Yeah you could be (and probably are) right. My comment stemmed from the calls I take. I get lots of parents who are calling up trying to get their NES hooked up so their kid can play games, but I guess it is a minority that gets overrepresented since most parents who buy newer systems don't have to call the number, but parents who try to hook up a NES are bound to run into problems...

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

@Gamereviewgod: Actually, I bought my copy of EGM in newsstands and I wasn't exactly on the lookout for it (ie. buying it as soon as it's released).

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

I think there's other reasons as well also -- there are far more games being relesed these days, prices of new games have stayed the same while people spending money has shrunk, and people no longer buy games just on faith, like they did in the pre-crash days, and trust rentals and reviews and word of mouth a lot more.

Let's face it, a lot of 'older' games did well just because there was nothing else to play and the game was at least playable.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye
    On a related topic, have you guys read Gamespy's 25 most overrated games list and Penny Arcade's take on it? I agree with Tycho: I don't understand why GameSpy is blasting DK Country so much. Oh, and now the Gamespy crew is saying that it overshadowed Yoshi's Island. I love Yoshi's Island too, but I wouldn't go and say that DK Country is as overrated as they say it is.
    Yeah, nice article. I think I'll have to make sure I'm ready for 15 FPS in Final Fantasy VII...whenever I get to that one, that is (not really enthused with the Square games right now). DKC seemed really fun at the time I first played it, but I'll have to try it again. I didn't get very far.

I will say that they're right in saying that the "technological leap" of prerendered 3D stuff isn't really that big of a deal (but I only saw a webpage that claimed that just recently, an IGN's page on the history of Donkey Kong, in fact), but it looks better than Gamespy is allowing, if my memory serves.

The part about Yoshi's Island...well, it's a fun game, but really nothing there to keep me coming back (my cart's battery is dead, though, so that certainly plays a part).

I wonder why The 7th Guest wasn't in the top Five, nevermind its absence from the list in any form.

Wonder why Black and White was so high on the list; I think it's because GameSpy Industries folk got so swept away by it.

The thing to remember is that of this list, they're talking mostly about games they remember, so the big 'exciting' titles such as Mortal Kombat seem to have gotten more empasis. On the other hand, they seem more aware of different games than I; they mention that Dungeons & Dragons Pool of Radiance remake (I still like the original, a very classy piece of software) which I was aware of but didn't play.

Morrowwind I agree with, especially since I had to suffer through the XBOX version. I loved that game, though; lots of time to do things but it really was hard to "get away" with stuff (i.e. escape crashes or seemingly illogical attacks from guards).

Zero Wing is probably deserving of a spot on that list just because of its place in internet culture: It's not that great as a game, and I don't know whether those infamous words are as good as people believe. I don't know how I could say either way, since I'm poisoned by proximity to that phenomenon. That said, I like the back of Square's FDS (pre-Final Fantasy, I believe) game "Karine the Sword," or especially the second Super Shinobi 2 beta's intro (But it was not a truth) for bad translations. Even the Jolly Green Giant in that hack Karateka is worth a shot. But no...we still have to hear silly kids shouting "OMG AYB." That said, this would become "Ed's list" instead of "GameSpy's List;" and the fun is seeing what they picked up on and I missed. (oh and Jorpho...http://grblitz.overclocked.org/karagren.htm)

Daikatana, I think, has been beaten into the ground so far that you could bury folks at least twelve deep in the crater formed around John Romero's reputation. Saying that Romero or his game overrated is like saying Hitler is overrated (though I don't wish to compare the two outside this example): these have all had their heyday, but since they've fallen so far from favor that they'll never come back.

With Daikatana, it's still a revenge thing. Personally, I think he's getting roughed around for an ad campaign that some other moron thought up, and that the game deserves a fresh look for what good there is in it. It has its bad points which prevent it from being a good game--but what about the graphics or the background technology? I hear (though it's Tom Hall's word :P) that the AI pathfinding was pretty darn good :P

But I'm getting tired of seeing Daikatana in these "worst of" lists. Makes you acutely aware that the GameSpy folks haven't let go of that tangled mess called the late 1990s yet ;P

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod
    Yeah, it's the Sept. issue. You JUST got the Oct. issue?? I think you have a complaint.
    No, it's the Nov. issue. I just got it earlier this week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye
    I think they missed the point. Gamespy wasn't saying those games were bad, just that beyond representing pivotal moments in the history of gaming, they weren't that remarkable. Does that make sense?

I would say that it is true more people have probably heard of Donkey Kong Country than Yoshi's Island, because DKC was a milestone while YI was one of the last games released for the SNES. But ultimately, aside from the graphics, YI is by far a superior game. There were many platform games released before DKC, after all, and many of them accomplished much of the same gameplay-wise (although they probably weren't quite so challenging).

@Ed: Thanks, I was wondering about that. A most bizarre reference indeed. (Short movies made with Karateka actually date back to the Apple II, but nothing quite like that.)
    ________
    FREE JOOMLA THEMES
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 04-01-2011 at 05:55 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just wanted to say that I've been reading EGM for years, but even I think that they've been a bit off lately. Mostly in their review department... their review of PN.03 was terribly incorrect and seemingly bias in my opinion. And a lot of the potty low-brow humor that is all over the magazine gets really old after a while. But, maybe I'm just a grumpy old bastard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

No, it's the Nov. issue. I just got it earlier this week.

Oops...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    Let's face it, a lot of 'older' games did well just because there was nothing else to play and the game was at least playable.
    Hey fellas, let's keep in mind that these are the same kids that go out and get their parents to buy them the same licensed garbage month after month. Frankly, the fact they don't (according to the article's phony-sounding quotes) appreciate older games shouldn't come as much of a surprise.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by evilmess
    Metal Slug and Gundam Wing Endless Duel are his current favorites and he's really been digging on shmups lately. So I i'm getting him Ikaruga (GC) for his B-Day.
    For HIS birthday?

Now you've got me thinking about becoming a daddy...