Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Default ATTN: New Game Comics Are HERE!

I was going to buy some records the other day and I stopped in a comic store just to piss away a few minutes. I cruised the (overpriced) manga and a few graphic novels and was turning to leave when I saw Mega Man #1 for sale! Of course I picked it up and bought it. But there was another. I also saw a Dragon's Lair #1 sitting there and snatched that up too. I've been out of comics for a long fucking time but these two were enough to catch my interest. Who knows, I might go back soon and pick up the 2nd issues . I'd rate the Mega Man pretty well, it's sort of like watching a Saturday morning cartoon. The Dragon's Lair, notsomuch. It's a rather bland "hey he killed some dragons, now he's gonna rescue a princess" kind of story so that's not really my thing. Just thought I'd let you guys know while the gettings' good (1st issues).

-J

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, there is a Street Fighter one and a few others I believe. The Street Fighter one is drawn by Joe Mad. Sweet.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Alright! mega man is out already!?! They told me not until the end of this week (Sept 26th) I better go back and check. Has anyone bought the Mega Man Cartoon DVD sets yet? They look mighty tempting at $19.99 for two discs, and there is a Volume 1 & 2, so thats..... 4 discs right?
    #vbender

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

The Mega Man comic is done by DreamWave, the same people who are doing the new Transformers stuff. Words of caution:

-The story is pretty bad. Not as bad as it sometimes was in the old 80s cartoon, but it's fairly flat and boring with little or no character development (except for maybe Optimus Prime).

-They always release two different covers for *every* issue to make people buy more (a sure sign that what's inside isn't worth it to begin with).

I have low hopes for the Mega Man comic and I don't think I'm going to pick it up even though I love that kind of stuff and collect it (I have a lot of the old Captain N, Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros., and Game Boy comics by Valiant). I myself am hoping that DreamWave will go out of business and that those very talented artists will go to other companies where they can work under some real writers.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I *think* I've got a Double Dragon comic lying around somewhere in my parents' barn. I can't say it was all that great.
    Also, I still have a copy of the Insectors comic, based on the very short-lived toy line. I used to have a Zoids comic as well, but no longer do, which is a shame because they totally changed the storyline for US audiences, claiming that the pilots weren't human at all but central nervous systems, designed in man's image. Totally weird!

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

And I'm sure you all know that there is a Sonic the Hedgehog comic series, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grandamchandler
    Alright! mega man is out already!?! They told me not until the end of this week (Sept 26th) I better go back and check. Has anyone bought the Mega Man Cartoon DVD sets yet? They look mighty tempting at $19.99 for two discs, and there is a Volume 1 & 2, so thats..... 4 discs right?
    The Mega Man cartoon ran in syndication in the mid-90s, and it's pretty mediocre. Buy it only if you're a hardcore fan, or if you find hokey cable-TV cartoons amusing. And if you're after some laughs, try the Street Fighter cartoon. It's bloody hysterical.

I've never seen it, but I've heard that the Darkstalkers cartoon is the absolute bottom of the barrel. Anyone care to confirm that?