Thread: How do I hook an old pal consoles to NTSC televisions?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How do I hook an old pal consoles to NTSC televisions?

You know the old consoles that if their NTSC have 1 video output and one power output. The power converting is not the problem, its the video...the NTSC end of the video (and audio) looks like an old RCA video jack, with the central pin jutting out and 3 or for rounded pronges around it (modern A/V jacks a just the pin surround buy a cylinder). Anyway that would hook into that box that required a nine volt poweradapter and came out as coaxial...now how do I do this with a pal machine with no such box. I try cramming the pal version of this audio video cord into the box but it doesn't quite fit, the central pin is a cylinder and the outerprongs are a cylinder...looks more like the end of a coax with a big ass central pin. If someone can help me that would be awesome...I'll try and take pictures of the different components Im talking about for...

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You will need a PAL-to-NTSC conversion gadget. They show up semi-frequently on eBay. Just be warned that you'll lose some scan lines and picture resolution in the process.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yes, I thought i might, but i still have nothing to hook the weird pal end into. If I could some how turn it into coaxial, then i could use my modulator in conjunction with a convertor, but my problem is find the pal end thingie to coax box or whatever

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

here are pics of the ends that Im talking about, you may have to copy the URL.

NTSC end

http://www.geocities.com/vggurus2002/systems/ntsc.jpg

PAL end

http://www.geocities.com/vggurus2002/systems/pal.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You missed what PDF meant. Going from PAL to NTSC is possible using a cable like he mentioned, but because of the difference in standards you lose a bit in the process. If you want to keep all the details and have enough consoles, I would even suggest trying out an XRGB2 for use with a computer monitor. Don't know if such a device would give you back that resolution on a NTSC TV, though.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

those boxes dont even have inputs for what my consoles have to output (see pics), let alone coax, so they cant convert from pal to ntsc with a cord they aren't compatible with...

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm almost - but not quite - willing to bet that if the prongs could be taken off of that PAL jack, it might fit an Odyssey 2 RF modulator.

Is there any way you'd be willing to open the console and see what kind of jack is on that end? I ask because, again using the O2 as an example, that system has a European-style jack on the end of the RF cable, but if you open the console, nine times out of ten it's connected to the main board via an RCA cable, and can therefore be replaced with a more traditional RCA-to-RCA cable compatible with more common RF modulators.

Just a thought.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are 2 points to consider here:
    1) The plug is a standard RF-type plug, typical of all of the original console systems - it outputs both the video and audio info over the wire, on channel 3 or 4, and is intended to attach the the end of a game/switch box that attaches to the antenna terminals on the back of the TV. Ordinarily, the simplest solution is to either buy an RF switchbox for around $5, or get an RF-to-Coax adapter such as those sold via Atari Age or Radio Shack.

HOWEVER, and this is where point #2 comes in, in your picture it appears to me that the console you're dealing with is an RCA Studio II. Like the Atari 5200, the power supply on the Studio II plugged in to the switchbox, not the console itself. A couple of years ago I gave up on trying to get a switchbox for my Studio II and sold it cheap at PhillyClassic 3.

I believe there is a FAQ online that explains how to build a Studio II switchbox, but I'm not sure.

As for the NTCS/PAL issues, you'll have to read the other advice here - I don't know anything about that.
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have some consoles with the plug I think you are talking about. The ones I have taken apart all have a standard RF type plug on the other end so you can replace the cable and use a standard RF switch. This of course does nothing to fix your PAL/NTSC problem. I use on old black & white TV that has a vertical hold adjustment to test stuff out with but I also would like to be able to play these games properly. I have seen multi-format TV sets for sale but since they are new I'm not sure how well they would work with old games. I've also been thinking about trying to get an older TV from Japan. I have several Japanese consoles that do little or nothing on US TV sets. Anyone have any input one multi format TV sets or using a Jpanese TV in the US?
    Thanks, y-bot

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The easiest way to use PAL consoles in the US is with a PC video capture card. Almost all cards can be be switched between different video formats. It might even help with the Japanese systems that don't display properly on a normal US TV (my TView 99 has a NTSC-J setting).

These cards are easy to get, as Wal-Mart carries the ATI TV Wonder in most locations and most computer stores carry capture cards of different brands.

Back to main question:
    I'd recommend making your own box if you have electronics experience. There should be the schematic for the circuit online (I think www.old-computers.com has it). Take the console/cable to Radio Shack to see if you can find a mating connector for it.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default a

If worse comes to worst and you can't replace the connector, you can use a couple of theose electronics alligator clips with the rubber boot over them (so they don't touch) and connec them to a RCA type plug and then plug it into a capture card.

Messy, but effective and temporary, but involves no soldering.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!