Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zelda: A link tot he past = Best Consol game ever

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Zelda: A link tot he past = Best Consol game ever

Keep in mind, thats just my opinion, but I have yet to play a game to suck me into its world so well.

The graphics:

- Timeless, they look good today, and will still look good 20 years from now because they are clean and do the game justice.

The Story:

- Classic, princess in distress, evil villain and an adventure of epic proportions worthy of the Lord of the Rings

The Sounds:

- Environmental effects and music set the mood to each map, you can walk through the game blindfolded and still know where you are

The Gameplay:

Its the "ok just one more crystal and Ill goto bed since its 4am" type. I played the game until I had every item, every heart, and defeated everything.

The Sales:

This was #1 on the SNES best selling game charts for months and months and months..I dont know if anything topped it for its time on any consol.

Discuss

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Link's Awakening is superior, I'd say. There really isn't all that much to do after you finish one dungeon in ALTTP aside from making your way to the next dungeon. Perhaps the slightly more cohesive story makes the game a tiny bit less freeform and more linear than ALTTP, though.

I have yet to play the other two Game Boy Zelda games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NO it's not the best game ever

sound-effects are not really good, music is very good but a little repetitive

graphics also could be better, but they fit the game well

there are a lot games which develop more story/atmosphere also
    -Jan

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't say it's the best game, but when I would play it with my friends when SNES was the console, I sure had a hell of a lot of fun with it. And IMHO, it's better than any of the gameboy zelda's.

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

LttP was a great game, I'll admit, but not the greatest console game ever. There have been so many console games, for one, that I don't know how anyone can say something is the best. Maybe one of the best in the genre, but I doubt one of the best ever.

Me, I preferred Link's Awakening for the GB/C. The graphics were nearly the quality of LttP, plus on a portable system with seemingly much more to do and have fun with. LttP was pretty linear, and LA was a bit too, but it had SOME flexibility. But hey, I'm not a major RPG/adventure gamer. But I would like to say that I think Earthbound was more fun than LttP.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

I was sitting in class the other day and just had an unhealthy desire to play Earthbound over again. Seriously unhealthy. I was considering leaving class, driving an hour home to pick up my SNES and a few games, bring it back and veg out for the weekend.

I'd have to say overall Link to the Past is the best Zelda game. Entertaining, challenging (was testing an SNES a month ago and Ganon raped me), and flat out fun. Innovative for it's time, not terribly but still an excellent game.

Still mad about Zelda bonus disc II being bundle only

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

to say it's the "Best console game ever" might just be too broad a statement for folks here to all see eye-to-eye on. Personally I think it's One of the great console games, mostly because of the gameplay. the gameplay is by and far the best part of this game. the story is nice, but it was too vague to really draw me in.(Zelda is your ???) Safe to say people could easily name off at least 4 or 5 SNES games with better story, much less on any console. BUT, gameplay definately some of the best you'll find in any console.... in my opinion.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Even after your "uncle" recovers at the end, you never find out what "Zelda is your..." was supposed to mean. Sister? Enemy? Long-lost poodle? Perhaps unc didn't have the heart to tell him after he nailed her or something.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Warren Spector, who is a greater gaming genius than Shigeru Miyamoto even though he put his game on the top of his personal list, agrees with you.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Story:

- Classic, princess in distress, evil villain and an adventure of epic proportions worthy of the Lord of the Rings
    Sounds like a cliche story to me...

I never played the game, so I won't comment on it any further.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, I'd say it is the best game ever too... I got the game a LONG time ago... played it a bunch then, beat it, have gone back to it many times, and just recently I've been playing it on an emulator at work . Also, I dunno if anyone saw this, but Time magazine also rated it the best game ever, with I think Wolfenstein 3D coming in second or something...

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its nice to see all the different opinions with no flames...Im open to any suggestions to a better consol game (as long as I have the system) No ones convinced me of something better yet!

its the only game (other then Tie Fighter) that will bring me back every few years to play some more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daerr Zh
    Even after your "uncle" recovers at the end, you never find out what "Zelda is your..." was supposed to mean. Sister? Enemy? Long-lost poodle? Perhaps unc didn't have the heart to tell him after he nailed her or something.
    In the Japanese version, Link's uncle supposedly says "Zelda is your destiny." The game's English translation evidently just lets him trail off for effect or something, and the GBA remake changes the line to "It's your destiny, Link."
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

I personally think that Castlevania (NES) is the best console game ever, but that's just me. LttP is damned good, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dire 51
    I personally think that Castlevania (NES) is the best console game ever, but that's just me.
    Hehe. Of course.

As for all these dorks who imply that the GB Zeldas sucked...no. I can say that I've had more fun with B&W GameBoy games like Operation C (Contra) and Link's Awakening than with Zelda LttP. Castlevania 2: Belmont's Revenge is pretty close as well.

Being able to play Link's Adventure on the GameBoy Player, with the special color scheme not possible even on the SuperGB gives it that slight edge over Zelda LttP for me.

Personally, though, I had a lot more fun with both Nintendo 64 Zelda titles. Arguably the best 2D-to-3D conversion ever, and pretty much my first experience with that (not to mention 3D gaming and Zelda as well) ever. GoldenEye got a bit more play time, but I can't stand going back to it now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd say Castlevania SOTN was the best console game ever.......

why?

amazing graphics, amazing gameplay, beautiful music, cool storyline, unique features, good replay value, and best of all it was a 2D game that came along and blew the doors off all the 3D games that were flooding the market at the time (and still are). SOTN actually came around when my interest in video games was starting to wane and it blew me away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Injected
    Its nice to see all the different opinions with no flames...Im open to any suggestions to a better consol game (as long as I have the system) No ones convinced me of something better yet!

its the only game (other then Tie Fighter) that will bring me back every few years to play some more.
    YEAH Tie Fighter IS one of the best games ever, man i played this title for years, should play it again sometime
    -Jan

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I actually just started playing LttP again since hooking my SNES back up for Mario Kart. Actually I tested it and beat it with the saved game that was at the end, funny thing is beating Ganon came right back to me like I had just played it recently. last time I played LttP was least a year or two ago.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I know, isn't it funny how all the old tricks, moves, and secrets come back to you even if you haven't played it in years? I'm sure I'd still be able to play Super Mario Bros. and find all sorts of secrets even though I haven't played that game in at least 10 years.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd say that LttP is ONE of the best games but not the best. The best is definately Final Fantasy VI. \^_^/
    My new SwanCrystal: