Thread: Your Most Memorable Gaming Deaths

Pac-Man (Level 10) Ascending Wordsmith's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Your Most Memorable Gaming Deaths

In the world of gaming, dying isn't a big deal. Fall off a cliff? Start over. Get hit by a car? Start over. Step on a land mine? Start over. Get swallowed by a giant fish? Start over. No matter how you die, you always can start over.

Every now and again, you die in such a unique way that you find it amusing. Be it hilarious, gruesome, or just plain awkward, we've all experienced a memorable gaming death in a class of its own.

Mine came in River City Ransom. With only one bar of energy left, I took on a couple of guys from the Squid gang. The Squids are the fastest guys on the game. I manage to defeat all but one of them. I grab a tire and jump in the air to throw it at him. I miss since he runs under the tire as it's in the air. The tire rolls offscreen. The Squid picks up a crate and knocks me down with it. As he stands over me, waiting for me to get back up, the tire slowly rolls back onscreen after hitting the wall offscreen. The tire knocks the Squid down and he dies. The crate he was carrying falls ontop of me while I'm on the ground and I die right there.

Damn, that was ironic!

What are some of the most memorable ways you've died in a game?
    Never use a long word where a short one will do.

--George Orwell

(formerly PC Kwaj)

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Yeah, had a lot of deaths also. I can recall one back when I was playing X-Wing for the PC.

It was a REALLY nasty mission -- flying a X-Wing, you have to scout a area, blow up a minefield, engage in dogfights aganist TIE fighters and interceptors by yourself, and finally attack and kill a capital ship. By the time I got the 'Mission Cleared' message and permission to hyperspace home, my ship was about one blast away from falling apart. The sheild generator was destroyed, communications were out, major damage all over the place, only two blasters worked.

I hypered home, breathing a sigh of relief that was over and done with -- and all of a sudden, as I come out of hyperspace in the fleet, WHAM! My carrier was RIGHT in front of me and I ddi'nt have time to dodge.

It took another week of playing before I could finally finish that mission again --- nasty game! But I still love it.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Alrighty kids, gather 'round. It's story time.

The scene: Splatterhouse, the arcade version. It was the first time I got to level six in the arcade. I had beaten the Turbografx-16 version before. Level six frustrated me on the TG. Those godfecking alien hunchback fetus goblins were getting the best of me, and I whenever I got to the boss, I usually only had one heart left, which I quickly lost to the giant heart and his army of fetuses. However, my reflexes sharpened as I kept going through the stage, I beat the fetuses as fast as I could, and I got to the boss, flogging any alien that came my way, and I beat that heart to a pulp, standing close to what it once was. I went on to beat the last level of that game, but that's not important. Now, here I was, at the arcade version, working twice as hard as before, because the original arcade version of any game is most likely more difficult than anything released on a home console port. Splatterhouse was not an exception, and I had to take at least one break to vent my rage. Then, I got to the boss. He kicked my ass. I kept trying this maddening stage over and over again, and my persistence paid off. I beat the heart into submission, and I stood close to its dying form, like I did on the TG-16.

BIG. EFFING. MISTAKE.

No one told me that the heart's insides ripped open and exploded into an acidic puddle on the arcade version, and I knew they didn't do that on the TG-16! The heart's last ditch effort worked. I was on my last heart, and I had to start the most infuriating stage on Earth all over again. At that point, I had the urge to drive my heel into the computer. Anything to get out the feelings of shock and anger out of me. But do not worry. I beat it, and I beat the game. Every time I flog the heart, I stay away. It's habit to me now, because I am certainly NOT going to forget what happened that day. NEVER AGAIN.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

System Shock turns you into a cyborg killing machine when you die. I always thought that was cool.

I remember playing Wing Commander (on PC) back in the day. I had just finished one of the hardest missions and my ship was falling apart. I was just about to go on autopilot to go home and my stupid wingman bumped me and my ship exploded.

Dave
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hmm I just had a memorable, err, death just last night, playing Golden Axe on my Nomad.

I've gotten some odd bugs and such playing on that machine, and this one had the screen not scrolling upwards (forget exactly what part this is, but it's where you're getting off the Turtle) and so I was trying to hit that darn blue thief when all I could see were my legs. I wanted to see how far I could take the bug, but I walked over the bottom edge. Tyris fell basically past the whole screen. Oops. Then when she respawned the screen corrected itself. Grr.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Memorable deaths? I think Worms has the most amount of material for my embarrasments.

Heck, just recently:

Me: "Heh, bungie rope time!"
    Friend: "It'd be funny if you fell in the water right now..."
    Me: (proceeds to drop worm a little too far and it plops into the water)
    Friend: "BAHAHAHAHAHAHA"
    Me: "Son of a....."

Pac-Man (Level 10) Arqueologia_Digital's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Memorable deaths...

Kyrandia - PC --> I die with the snake when i tried to eat the apple
    Prince of Persia - PC --> Level 12...without a password...AND I DIE IN A STUPID POOL!!!!SHIT!!!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Everquest Online Adventures-PS2

Me and my party were camping ice goblins in Permafrost, when some jackass named dizee grabs 7 or 8 gobs, and proceeds to train our party, killing every one of us. Normally, this woudnt have bothered me, but I was 2 pinks from lvl 43!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember playing Dr. Chaos for the NES...

I was fighting the last boss, and as luck would have it, I killed him, just as he killed me. So, what happens? It shows my dead body reuniting with my brother in the ending. I have no idea why they would use the current state of the sprite... but they did.

I won't forget that one.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This was more of a glitch than anything, but it only ever happened once and I'll never forget it.

Playing Wonder Boy on the SMS, you know when you fall in the water and that little spirally smokey thing shoots up, well, one time, his hair shot up, just his hair,no head or anything, shot up.

Alex Kidd
    The Weed Of Crime Bears Bitter Fruit You Old Hag!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

My mighty party of adventurers being done in, quickly and without a chance to even fight back, by Titans on Level 10 in Lord of the Dungeon.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstar

Me and my party were camping ice goblins in Permafrost, when some jackass named dizee grabs 7 or 8 gobs, and proceeds to train our party, killing every one of us. Normally, this woudnt have bothered me, but I was 2 pinks from lvl 43!

Heheh, I can't even COUNT the number of hilarious deaths in ANY MMORPG. The best ones always involve some cocky bastard who thinks he's all that, bragging and showing off, then dying from some horribly STUPID newbie mistake, after which, everyone within radar range laughs their ass off

Another fun one is to do ANYTHING to disrupt nekkid archers perching and get them killed. Hell, killing ANYONE who is macroing or perching is always good for a laugh.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My favorite strange death is a GTA 3 glitch.

I was driving a bus through the subway. I get to the end and train hits it, sending the front of the bus and the door into the ceiling. So half of my bus is in the ceiling and half is in the subway station. So I get out of the bus hoping it will deposite me in the subway station. Instead it puts me in the roof next to the bus. Then another trian comes, blows the bus up, which propels me up through the the rest of the celieng and into a street, where a cop car plows me.

I personally think GTA deaths are always the funniest.
    I am in fact the guy that made the Raisins prototype worth thousands less by dumping it. "D'oh!!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember first playing Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future on SEGA Dreamcast. With force feedback "forcek pack" plugged in, which made it even more shocking when a shark nailed you from behind. In the Great White Shark level, you can pretty much steer clear of the beast in the shallows over near a sandy beach. In an exploratory mood, I lept onto the beach, and Ecco got stuck there. His health began to diminish and he'd cry out every second or two, I pressed the flipper buttons madly but to no avail as Ecco slowly died, then the screen got dark & it was over.

Hey, it was freaky and disturbing!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sylentwulf
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathstar

Heheh, I can't even COUNT the number of hilarious deaths in ANY MMORPG. The best ones always involve some cocky bastard who thinks he's all that, bragging and showing off, then dying from some horribly STUPID newbie mistake, after which, everyone within radar range laughs their ass off

Another fun one is to do ANYTHING to disrupt nekkid archers perching and get them killed. Hell, killing ANYONE who is macroing or perching is always good for a laugh.

That last paragraph, ??

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Cool thread....I have too many to to list..

One of the most hilarious deaths for me is driving off a Cliff in Halo with two other soldiers in a vehicle..or on a packed on Tank..
    That is funny and memorable..

Also when you play co-op Halo with a friend and he runs you over by mistake..lol
    Well he thinks that's funny..
    Or when he shoots me in the head playing deathmatch Halo link up..that bastard..

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dragon's Lair
    I had beaten this game many times before, but this one time when the Lizard King was chasing me down the hallway, I pushed UP. Dirk (like an idiot) runs straight into the wall, and the lizard king gets him.

I never would have expected that to happen, DAMN that was funny.

Banana (Level 7) SamuraiSmurfette's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's a recent one.
    My BF and I picked up Timesplitters 2 for GC.
    We started to go through 2-player Co-Op mode first
    without knowing controls or weapons in the game.
    So he's panning through his weapons and discovers,
    "Hey! I've got sticky mines!"
    followed by:
    "Hey! I can stick them to you!"
    So I just start running like hell away from where he was,
    and he says:
    "Hey! I wonder how MANY I can stick to you?!"

..the maximum was three...

and let us never play that game together again.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love to play arkanoid. One of my favorite games. The one time, I get quite far into the game. Not sure what level. Anyhow, I got one life left and am getting ready to play the new level. The phone rings, and for whatever reason I pull the controller just out of the socket enough to disable movement. And in the NES version after a delay your ball automatically goes. Well it went and to my dismay if hit a block and went down. I was pissed.
    I like Nintendo's, They are Super.