Thread: Moving ... to London!!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Moving ... to London!!

Good news!! I finally got a job!! However it does mean that I have to move, since I am in Bristol, and the job is in London and I don't fancy a 2.5 hour commute each way every day. I am pretty excited, but it's a bit hairy because I start on 3rd November, and in that time I have to:

- find someone to take my room in Bristol
    - find a place to live in London
    - pack all my worldly belongings into boxes
    - somehow get them all to London

Aaaah! I have just packed all my books. That took 7 boxes alone. I am just starting to pack my videogame stuff. That is going to be interesting because I have a ton of it, and also because some of it is delicate and a fair bit of it is pretty valuable ... I think it is mostly going to go on loan to a friend whilst I get things sorted out and settled down.

Anyway, if I am not noticeably active around here for a few weeks, you know why... and if anyone knows of a room available to rent in London for a reasonable price, let me know. Equally, if you know anyone looking for somewhere in Bristol, do likewise ..

Vroomfunkel

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Congrats Vroomer! Starting a new job is always an adventure. Moving - twice so. Let us know how you're doing once you've settled in!
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Moving ... to London!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vroomfunkel
    if anyone knows of a room available to rent in London for a reasonable price, let me know.
    A reasonable price? Good luck.
    My cousin recently moved to London, and his monthly rent there is 5 times what I pay in Newcastle. But I'm sure you're well aware of the economics already.

But hey, congratulations! Hope it works out OK. At least you'll have the best selection of gaming shops in the country, albeit with prices to match.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hey what about the package i'm going to send you, should i wait until you're back online?
    -Jan

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default London

Well ... I mean reasonable for London ;-) Given that I already live in Bristol, which is pretty pricey itself, hopefully it won't be *too* much of a shock. Anyway, I'll be starting on £19K which isn't bad. Certainly a lot better than trying to survive in Bristol on the dole.

And I'll be working 5 mins walk from CEX ... although I have to say that I have not been too impressed with what I've seen in there so far. Plus I took in a copy of Metal Slug for the Saturn to see what they would offer in cash / trade for it. They scanned the barcode, and said .... £12 cash, £15 trade in. I laughed in their faces.

hydr0x ... don't worry, you can send it to my Bristol address .. my flatmates will look after it, and I can pick it up when I come by. I expect I'll be making fairly regular weekend visits for at least a few months!

Vroomfunkel

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

No doubt we might have to meet up at some point heh...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What's the job market for school music teachers in England like? I'm always living in fear that my job in the US will be cut because music isn't as important as football and such.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ..

Definitely have to meet up some time Mayhem ... give me a couple of months to find somewhere, settle down properly, and get all my collection ferried over and set up, and you will be most welcome at any time for an evening of retro fun!

Clonus ... the job market for teachers in the UK is on the whole fairly good. There are a number of "shortage subjects" in which there is a particular need for teachers, but I don't think that Music is one of those. But even so, I doubt if they are swamped with music teachers...

Try www.canteach.gov.uk for more info (hehe ... I did teacher training last year. All I can say is, choose your school carefully! I had a bit of a nightmare time in my main placement. Now I am (soon to be) a market research project manager ... )

Vroomfunkel