Thread: Confessions - Biggest Mistake You Made As A Kid

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Confessions - Biggest Mistake You Made As A Kid

I didnt get my first system until the NES was in its heyday. I bugged my parents to death for years for a video game system but money was really tight as a kid so it wasnt until the 7800 was discontinued and in the liquidation bins that I got a system for christmas (a 7800 and astroids). Well my neighbor was nice enough to give me his entire collection of atari games (over 170 games).

I'm sure I am not the only one, but I was the kid that liked to take everything apart. So a year or two went by before I decided to rip open every cartrige to see what made them work. I had alot of valuable games too (the plaque attack game is one that immediately comes to mind).

Well after years of hunting the house for my old system, my parents finally fessed up and admitted they sold it at a garage sale as soon as I left for college ( for a dollar). To top it off, I SWEAR I found my games up on ebay 2 months ago. I tried to bid to get them back but the bidding went well beyond my means.

~Tj

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not proud of it, but I swear it's the truth. I actually begged my parents to get me Pacman and ET for 2600.

I got both of them, and I've been emotionally scarred ever since.

Dave
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I traded a Vectrex for a 4K RAM cartridge for my Vic 20. Ouch.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    chunkycorn

my neighbor was a TI guy, had the disk drives and spent everything he had on it. programmed with it, went and took extra classes at the college and just went nuts about it. it was his life.

so i was over there one time, as the little neighbor kid would to bother him. I was playing some game that looked like defender meets riverraid. then he was in the room but facing the other way and i was bouncing a quarter on the computer after waiting for some game he spent the weekend typing to load.

i dropped the quarter into "breathing" slots and it hit something and BEEP. I still had the quarter in my hand and sat back. He asked why i restarted it. I said hey i was sitting here.....The thing was fried.
    so now guy collects and tags animals on charlton hestons land in AZ or something.
    My life and perception has changed, but my principals are the same.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well its not a VG story but its related and entertaining.

I use to have a 10meg hard drive for the Apple ][e. The thing was huge, it was atleast the size of the computer and quirky as hell. You'd turn it on, and wait for like 5 minutes for it to boot up and then you had to wait for a distinct series of blinks from the diode to execute a command (had to be very observitive or else it started the entire boot over again). Anyways, I remember the manual touting that it was the equivalent of 36 floppy disks

Well time passed and we gave away the computer but the HD sat in the basement for years. So I got the idea of dropping it from a 6th floor parking structure. It was spectacular, but when I went to inspect the remains, something was really odd. THE HD ACTUALLY CONTAINED 36 FLOPPY PLATTERS.... geez