Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: about gaming expos (philly) northeast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default about gaming expos (philly) northeast

are the gaming expos in the notheast - just small get togethers ?
    are there any major ones (hotel size) inthe northeast

i just found the website to the expo in philly this march (2004) - i was wondering if ne1 heard of that one and if they could tell me a little about it -- like is it big, worth traveling 4.5 hours for, how is it compared to the one thats held in las vegas -- i gues what im getting at - is it a convention or just a bunch of semi local people getting together to play games (seems like the only type i find on the net)

lastly is there a website dedicated to convention news

thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

no ones been to the philly expo ? -- or does no one want to tell me that its just a sausage fest

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Somebody want to answer this poor soul about PhillyClassic before *I* do? My opinions are somewhat ... skewed. Thank you.

Hold tight, googlefest. Someone will be with you in a moment.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sniderman
    Somebody want to answer this poor soul about PhillyClassic before *I* do? My opinions are somewhat ... skewed. Thank you.

Sniderman, I'm impressed with your subtle gift for understatement.

D
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He's just looking for a sausage fest but won't admit it.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was waiting for you to show up...what, no link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drexel923

I was waiting for you to show up...what, no link
    Nope, the guy's new and is asking a legit question. But, since it goes against my very being to point folks in that direction, I'm demurely asking someone else to assist him or tell him about PC5 or whatever. I'm behaving myself in that regard.

But, if no one else comes to his aid, I'll be happy to offer my own insights, opinions, and advice. And then we'll be off to the races again, won't we?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

before i posted this topic i did read other posts about expos and even the one about philly and saw some of the non thrilling pics --

id realy like to go to the lasvegas one but its on the other side of the coutry for me and i can't do that -- so the other seemingly big expo i found information on was the one in philly -- but i havent found anything that convices me its worth thaking the trip -- the closest thing i saw to an expo like atmosphere there was a pic of a small hall with a bunch of boxes and three people standing looking like theyre lost --

ive read about expos in gaming mags but i couldnt find much information about them (except for the one in Las Vegas )( and sausage fests)

i have nothiing against guys wanting to get together to play games (which i don't think should be called a convention or expo anyway)- thats not what im looking for -- i just want to go to a convention and buy and trade games but one where i have a good chance of finding pleanty of stuff

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you're underestimating some of the so-called sausage fests. The NECG meet this weekend will undoubtedly have some great stuff, as it always does.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yea i saw that one here and i think i saw it mentioned on other places on the net

it looks to me like its a goofy get together at someones house -- also it looks way way too small to find any competative prices

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Those are some pretty strong assumptions you're working with there. It's not a thrift shop. It's not ebay, either. You will find things at collector's market value for the most part, since it's a gathering of collectors. No, it's not 5000 people. The small ones are more fun anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

from all the information i was able to gather from here and the internet (i don't know ne1 that has ever gone to these things thats why i asked here) thats what it seems like to me -- your telling me the pics that were posted in this forum for the necg do not look goofy or like someones house?? -- they don't look like anything serious

all i wanted to find out was a place i can look for information - or information from someone here about a real convention or expo (what ever you want to call it) -- not some get together --- im not looking for fun or to hang out with complete strangers - i just want to go to an event or place where i can pick up a bunch of game related items that i cant find here in shitty CT -- i dont mean to sound antisocial but i dont consider traveling several hours fun and i wouldnt consider a hangout thats requires me to do that -- so thats why im looking for a serious place and a serious event - not a waste of my time -- i can hangout and play games where i am

really im not trying to rain on ne1s parade or sense of fun -- sure something like that is fun "if its local" -- so if ne1 can tell me if the philly event is what im thinking about please do

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

http://www.phillyclassic.com/

There's the website for Phillyclassic right there. Course, for those willing to look for the "Jam" will find Snidy's opinions without dredging up the topic in this thread.

I've been to NECG and I've been to Jersey Classic. Sure, NECG is at someone's house, it's small, it's intimate (and not the type of "intimate" that cootie would give). But, there were good trades, great deals, lots of fun and laughing, but no....it's not a convention space.

Jersey Classic was more a gathering of gamers with trading on the side. I travelled from NYC on a bus and it was well worth it. I had so much fun and meeting other gamers was great too. Plus, there were prizes some times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thank you for describing those to me thats what i was looking for

yes i did have that site already ( i thought there wasnt enough information describing it there thats why i asked looking for personal experience)

EDIT: uh i probably missunderstood you but i tried a search looking for "the jam" and didnt come up with anything -- is that just a term used here to indicate somthing conflicting that should not be mentioned here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

Quote Originally Posted by googlefest1
    thank you for describing those to me thats what i was looking for

yes i did have that site already ( i thought there wasnt enough information describing it there thats why i asked looking for personal experience)

EDIT: uh i probably missunderstood you but i tried a search looking for "the jam" and didnt come up with anything -- is that just a term used here to indicate somthing conflicting that should not be mentioned here
    It's a giant can of worms....a big ugly can of worms.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sounds to me like you're just a sour grapes person, why do you care if philly is a sausage fest or not? are you looking for games or a date? i've attended it before and simply put you'll find more games there than any other east coast event, that is what you're looking for correct?

as for your mocking our group thats your loss, we have a good time and everybody leaves with a box of new games, thats the point. theres no pretense of being a expo or convention and we're happy to be considered goofy, we have a beer swilling, pilgrim hat wearing pac man for a logo for christsakes as far there not being good deals or it not being a serious game collectors event who are you to say, you obviously have issues and you've never been to one of our meets- stick to what you know.

for some one calling themselves "googlefest" you could just as well goto google and do a 3 second search instead of posting questions and then bitching about the responses. if your intention was to come across as an ignorant socially challenged clown- mission accomplished!
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by googlefest1
    yea i saw that one here and i think i saw it mentioned on other places on the net

it looks to me like its a goofy get together at someones house -- also it looks way way too small to find any competative prices
    Prices? I don't know if I've ever seen people PAY for anything at these gatherings, it's pretty much all trades. It's a good way to make some connections and hook-ups, but not of the "sausage" variety that you're so worried about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nobody told me you guys serve sausage at the NECG, christian. If it's those little breakfast links with the sage and brown sugar, I'll be there! And tomorrow morning, I'm makin' waffles!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still say he is looking FOR a sausage fest and won't admit it. I bet he likes the 4 inch joysticks with a fire button on top. Right or left handed? He plays with his mouth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christianscott27
    sounds to me like you're just a sour grapes person, why do you care if philly is a sausage fest or not? are you looking for games or a date? i've attended it before and simply put you'll find more games there than any other east coast event, that is what you're looking for correct?

as for your mocking our group thats your loss, we have a good time and everybody leaves with a box of new games, thats the point. theres no pretense of being a expo or convention and we're happy to be considered goofy, we have a beer swilling, pilgrim hat wearing pac man for a logo for christsakes as far there not being good deals or it not being a serious game collectors event who are you to say, you obviously have issues and you've never been to one of our meets- stick to what you know.

for some one calling themselves "googlefest" you could just as well goto google and do a 3 second search instead of posting questions and then bitching about the responses. if your intention was to come across as an ignorant socially challenged clown- mission accomplished!

- i did do a search - multiple searches and still wasnt satifyied with what i found you look up conventions and expos and all you get are comics - tv shows and profesional ( like MD&M)

if i came across as sour grapes - i didnt mean to - frustrated mabey at comming up with nothing
    i care if philly is small becasue i dont want to travel 10 hours and return with nothing - id like to go to some event and return with a trunk full of goodies

as for mocking your group - i didn't mean to -- i used sausage fest in an effort to be funny - that was a wrong choice on my part - i was in a good mood and tried to be funny

boy ive never come across a forum where everyone was so touchy - i thought i was touchy

like i said before i wasnt nocking those type of get togethers - just saying im not looking for that AND AGAIN i said that type of event IS fun if its "local" and i clearly stated I'm not-- ive even organized things like that my self in the past

i also never said you guys were not serious game collectors

i think ive realy gotten the jist of what this place is like and will be more careful when i post - i'm sorry

and in regards to my screen name -- i don't care what it is - and i didn't try to think long and hard about something "cool" sounding -- i needed something fast so i took the name of what was on my screen at the time (google) and added something related to party (fest) and the 1 is a typo