Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NES Metroid (Yellow Label?)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NES Metroid (Yellow Label?)

What is the deal with diffrent labels for NES Metroid? Are ony of them more rare then the others? How may diffrent labesl are there? Are the games any diffrent? Help me out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The yellow label was just a later re-release of the title...nothing special except for the different box and label.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The yellow label is much more uncommon than the standard silver label. But they do pop up frequently on ebay.
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Heh, the two copies of Metroid I want to get are the 1993 cart rerelease (that's the yellow yabel, "Classic Series" release) and the European version with its awesome artwork.

I could give a rat's...yeah, I don't care about the normal, UGLY Metroid box. 'sides, I've already got the FDS release.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So is the yellow label more valuable (ie: worth picking up?)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Sure. As Dr. Morbis said, uncommon. Not rare. Totally findable, but you won't walk into any store and find a copy. Go for it, but don't pay too much.

dave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Easier said than done, though. I've yet to find a copy (haven't been checking eBay though) complete and in good shape for a reasonable price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Euro one does kick ass. Soon as I saw one, I picked it up. Can't say anything else about the yellow label one except it also looks nice.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

I've never seen the European Metroid cover -- pic anywhere?
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Towards the end of the system, Nintendo re-released a few titles as a "classic collection". This can be seen by looking at the front of the box. You'll see at at top of it a banner with those words written on it.

Another famous title to fall in this category is The Legend of Zelda. There's the original gold cart one, and then a grey cart one. Most people think the gold costs more when you visit their shops, but the opposite is actually true.

Nintendo is not the only one to pull this off..

if you go into any electronics store today (e.g. BestBuy) and go to the games section, look for PSone games.. they're all rereleases with the green "classic collection" or "best hits" in the title.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yep. And when you're buying PSOne imports, watch out for the words "the best version" ('cuz that's PlayStation The Best, their Greatest Hits) and "PSOne Books." Truth be told, though, the PSOne Books versions aren't bad to look at. It's just the crap The Best versions (no green border, but from my copy of NitM, the Japanese SotN, they shrunk down the cover art!) that get me.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Never seen one. How many carts were made in this series?
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The "Mr Dream" version of Punchout was part of that series as well.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interesting, I have never seen any of these yellow labels either, were there any improvements (fixed bugs etc) made to these NES classic titles or is the yellow label the only change?
    Games, games and more games

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There was another thread about the Classic Series, but here they are:
    Metroid
    Legend of Zelda
    Zelda II: Adventure of Link
    Punch-Out!!
    Blades of Steel

Pretty sure that's all of them
    "You're just a poser wanna-be." - RaccoonLad describing yours truly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There were no changes made to any of the actual program codes. The Mr. Dream version of Punch Out was actually released as a standard non-classic release shortly before Nintendo brought out the "Classic series". They are all the exact same games with new/modified packaging.

Incidentally, it would be nice if major variations like this were mentioned in the descriptions of the pertinent games in the next edition of the guide. For example, in Metroid's description you would just add: 'Also rereleased as part of Nintendo's Classic Series with a distinct yellow label'.
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo did this for all of their systems, but you can only tell from the boxes on some of the games...

NES had "second" versions of Zelda, Zelda II and Metriod. Someone else mentioned that people tend to think that the Gold versions of Zelda are worth the same or more -- this is at least partially correct because getting a nice gold cart is tough. They tend to lose their paint / luster.

F-Zero, Donkey Kong Country and a couple others were re-released for the SNES. I believe that the only way you can tell is by the boxes.

GoldenEye, WaveRace, MarioKart 64, Super Mario 64 and so on were re-released as "Million Sellers" after they (supposedly) sold 1,000,000 copies. I believe these games have different labels.

Also, I know that Turok 2 was released in two colors - black and grey, but I don't know why.

Unless you want all the variations though, and it doesn't seem like many people are seeking them for the NES yet, the price difference isn't much.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan
    F-Zero, Donkey Kong Country and a couple others were re-released for the SNES. I believe that the only way you can tell is by the boxes.
    There are (just as with the N64 titles) Player's Choice copies of Super Metroid floating around out there (including in my house). Not sure about the rest. According to a fellow who found a whole ton of Super Metroid bugs, Nintendo (of America, of course) told him that a "secret room" bug he found in the game (I believe it was a single breakable block at the right end of the corridor where you fight Crocomire, too small to fit into normally so you'd have to use the Speedball to break it open) was only possible in early production run copies of the game...it would seem to me that at least a few Nintendo games were sold that had a couple different revisions after release.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    There are (just as with the N64 titles) Player's Choice copies of Super Metroid floating around out there (including in my house). Not sure about the rest. According to a fellow who found a whole ton of Super Metroid bugs, Nintendo (of America, of course) told him that a "secret room" bug he found in the game (I believe it was a single breakable block at the right end of the corridor where you fight Crocomire, too small to fit into normally so you'd have to use the Speedball to break it open) was only possible in early production run copies of the game...it would seem to me that at least a few Nintendo games were sold that had a couple different revisions after release.
    The most interesting thing that I ever found in a SNES game was a defective version of Donkey Kong Country 3 that when you plugged it in brought up a really nice graphic and basically said that you had to play it on legal hardware only. I still don't know why it didn't work on my SNES.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[quote="goatdan"]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    The Donkey Kong Countrys have all kinds of glitches and weird/interesting things in them. Has anyone else seen Mike Z's movies about Donkey Country and various other games?

The most interesting thing that I ever found in a SNES game was a defective version of Donkey Kong Country 3 that when you plugged it in brought up a really nice graphic and basically said that you had to play it on legal hardware only. I still don't know why it didn't work on my SNES.