Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Daphne Laserdisc images

There is currently a flodd of these being posted to:

alt.binaries.emulators.arcade

and

alt.binaries.emulators.misc

So if youa re like me and still do not have a complete set of these, go grab them! Astron Belt (Sega) has already been uploaded and Badlands is currently being uploaded.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, I'm already on it! I just hope the guy does MACH 3 as well, it's not in DAPHNE, but there's a MAME hack that has it working fairl well it sounds like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you guys are into Dragons Lair, I can say that after playing both the DVD rip and the Laserdisc rip of Dragons Lair.. the Laserdisc version is FAR better. The audio and grunts and groans etc. are so much more audible! It really makes a difference

I have them both setup via Daphne .96 on the xbox and did an A/B.. it's so friggin noticeable. Just though I'd voice that thought..

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Stop making me want to mod my XBOX!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NE146
    If you guys are into Dragons Lair, I can say that after playing both the DVD rip and the Laserdisc rip of Dragons Lair.. the Laserdisc version is FAR better. The audio and grunts and groans etc. are so much more audible! It really makes a difference

I have them both setup via Daphne .96 on the xbox and did an A/B.. it's so friggin noticeable. Just though I'd voice that thought..
    I own the 20th anniversary DVD version, which is supposed to be a cleaned up version of the original. Did you do the LD rip yourself, or did you D/L it yourself?? Did you convert the MPEG1 LD rip to an MPEG2 to play with Daphne??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leonk
    Quote Originally Posted by NE146

I own the 20th anniversary DVD version, which is supposed to be a cleaned up version of the original. Did you do the LD rip yourself, or did you D/L it yourself?? Did you convert the MPEG1 LD rip to an MPEG2 to play with Daphne??
    "supposed" to be is right. I didn't rip anything by myself.. I downloaded both images from various sources (usenet/ftp).

HOWEVER, I recently read this from someone from www.daphne-emu.com

"A good laserdisc capture will always look better than a dvd-rip though. The dvds are mastered very poorly. Keep in mind though, that I have never seen a "good" laserdisc capture available online. The ones floating around are mostly garbage. So, the DVD-Rip is an easy solution and will still look much better than a "bad" LD capture. Capturing from an analog source is truly an art form. We have a great laserdisc capturing tutorial on the daphne site. "

What he's saying is probably true.. but I'm just speaking about what I know and that's what I have in front of my face. And that's a subjective review of the mpegs labeled as a DVD rip (consisting of several files) and the mpegs I've downloaded labeled as Laserdisc (consisting of 3 files). I have to say the video is somewhat comparable... but the big difference is the sound. The dvd rip version sounds muffled.. almost under a pillow type of sound. When playing the laserdisc it's like a pair of earplugs was taken out.. it's so much clearer! If there is an even BETTER version of the mpegs, of course I'd be open to checking them out as well

By they way, he also said this:

"please remember that DL and SA are still readily available for sale from Digital Leisure:
    http://www.digitalleisure.com

so they don't fall into the typical legally-gray "abandonware" category. Digital Leisure is, surprisingly, a great supporter of daphne. This is an especially rare point of view for a developer/publisher to have today, and is a major benefit to the emulator project. Please support them, as they support us. Their products are easily convertable to daphne format using the dvd2daph utility linked above.
    "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Has anyone tried distributing the laserdisc images as DivX movies with instructions for converting them back to MPEG? The MPEGs are just so huge on their own.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm bringing up this thread again to remind you folks that the Mpeg flood is STILL going! I have the first 4 posted already, and am grabbing the beginning of a Cobra Command upload now. I really hope this flood doesn't stop!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    Has anyone tried distributing the laserdisc images as DivX movies with instructions for converting them back to MPEG? The MPEGs are just so huge on their own.
    In creating the Divx you would be compressing the original Mpeg and losing something there. Then converting the Divx back to Mpeg you would be losing more. Your final outcome would not look as nice as the original Mpeg, and would probably not sync well with the emulator.