Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CHD files

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is 887788. I'm a new guy over here. Can anyone tell me all of the steps in order to make a CHD file? Please e-mail at luigi_675@yahoo.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Geez, nothing like bumping a 3 year old thread - TWICE. You don't make CHD files, they're an extension for old builds of MAME (I think somewhere around v0.88 they were reformatted) that contained data for games that used harddisk images such as Primal Rage and Beatmania. DP isn't a roms site, go read the MAME FAQs for all the information you need.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    Geez, nothing like bumping a 3 year old thread - TWICE. You don't make CHD files, they're an extension for old builds of MAME (I think somewhere around v0.88 they were reformatted) that contained data for games that used harddisk images such as Primal Rage and Beatmania. DP isn't a roms site, go read the MAME FAQs for all the information you need.
    Just a few corrections here...

a) You can make CHDs, and it's not that hard
    b) They're for more than just Hard Drives. CHD stands for "Compressed Hunks of Data", and the change that you're thinking of is when Aaron got pissed off that someone wrote a CHD compression program that he ended up rewriting the format to be natively compressed (making the Killer Instinct CHD files a shit ton smaller). CHDs can also be used for CDs, which basically stores the disc images in ISO+FLAC format.

CHD support was hacked into a build of Zinc, IIRC... I'm not huge on playstation-based arcade hardware (except for the as of yet unemulated G-Net ), so I don't pay toooooooo much attention to it

...so...yea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But again.. playing 99% of the chd files is useless.. with a few exceptions, the majority just run too slow on even current top-of-the-line hardware.

They will always be available in the future.. and probably even by then there'd be some changes to them. So I'll just kick back and wait until they're PLAYABLE to even look at them again :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by NE146
    But again.. playing 99% of the chd files is useless.. with a few exceptions, the majority just run too slow on even current top-of-the-line hardware.
    The two I've tried (Violent Circle and Crypt Killer) ran just fine even on my second-newest system...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Crypt Killer? I imagine it loses much without the shotguns.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    The two I've tried (Violent Circle and Crypt Killer) ran just fine even on my second-newest system...
    Try out the rest of them :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    Crypt Killer? I imagine it loses much without the shotguns.
    Not as far as I'm concerned, nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Try out the rest of them :P
    It's a given that 3D games like Cruisin' USA are gonna be slow, but what about the Area 51 games? I imagine all of them (Site 2, Maximum Force or whatever) should run reasonably well. Basically the 2D games should do fine.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I tried playing through a bunch of CHD games today, and surprisingly, most of them were quite playable. Here's a quick summary:
    • SF Rush, Gauntlet Legends/Dark Legacy, Mace, Tenth Degree, Hyperdrive, Vapor TRX, Biofreaks, etc Midway/Atari 3D games: Unplayably slow due to high amount of 3D graphics.
    • War Gods - About 14 FPS, entirely playable in my opinion
    • Area 51, Maximum Force, etc FMV shooters - Full speed
    • Beatmania games - I couldn't get any of these to start, as they seem to hang at the RAM check... how long am I supposed to wait for it to finish the SRAM check?
    • Beat the Champ, Simpsons Bowling - Fail start-up tests, couldn't play
    • Deadeye - Seems to get stuck in a loop when you try to start a game, couldn't play
    • Killer Instinct 1 & 2 - Completely playable
    • Viscious Circle - Full speed
    • Nagano 98, Hyper Athlete, - About 14 FPS... kinda slow, but playable
    • Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey - About 5 FPS, unplayable
    • SFIII, Red Earth, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - Games are encrypted and don't run, so unplayable
    • Primal Rage 2 - Seems to hang when you try to start a game

My computer is a 1.8 GHz AMD, which isn't exactly top of the line, but there are plenty of CHD games that are playable. Obviously, it's not CHD games that are inherently slow, it's 3D games that are inherently slow.

--Zero

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro
    [*]Beatmania games - I couldn't get any of these to start, as they seem to hang at the RAM check... how long am I supposed to wait for it to finish the SRAM check?
    Several minutes. Eventually the games do start. You might be tempted to disable throttling to speed up the process, but that can throw off the in-game timing, which obviously would be a big problem given the nature of the game

[*]Beat the Champ, Simpsons Bowling - Fail start-up tests, couldn't play
    From the MAME FAQ - To re-initialize the EEPROM, hold down the test switch (F2) and tap reset (F3) once. Do not let go of F2 until you see a message that says "Initializing EEPROM".

Obviously, it's not CHD games that are inherently slow, it's 3D games that are inherently slow.
    Actually it isn't the 3D aspect that makes the games slow. It is just the complexity/power of the general hardware that is being emulated that eats up most of the processing, not the graphics emulation. In the past the devs have built versions of their drivers that don't do any graphics, just the rest of the emulation, and the change in speed is minimal.