Thread: AARGH!!! I cna't get my famicom to work on my TV!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default AARGH!!! I cna't get my famicom to work on my TV!

So I hooked up my famicom that just arrived in the mail to my new HDTV. I powered it up and scoured the 90's level channels to find the image...no luck so I try the 80s...just fuzzy with an obvously distorted nintendo image in the background behing the layers of fuzz. I eventually went from channels 01 to 110 and got nothing...What's the deal? It has the right power and when Its on the screen gets distorted meaning there's a signal going through, but where to? If only famicom had A/V...thank goodness for my Sharp Twin Famicom I guess...any help would be great.
    one time collector of consoles...I've had them all, literally. I'm now selling everything to raise money for Northwest Harvest, a charity that provides food and clothing for families in need in the Northwestern United States.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default AARGH!!! I cna't get my famicom to work on my TV!

So I hooked up my famicom that just arrived in the mail to my new HDTV. I powered it up and scoured the 90's level channels to find the image...no luck so I try the 80s...just fuzzy with an obvously distorted nintendo image in the background behing the layers of fuzz. I eventually went from channels 01 to 110 and got nothing...What's the deal? It has the right power and when Its on the screen gets distorted meaning there's a signal going through, but where to? If only famicom had A/V...thank goodness for my Sharp Twin Famicom I guess...any help would be great.
    one time collector of consoles...I've had them all, literally. I'm now selling everything to raise money for Northwest Harvest, a charity that provides food and clothing for families in need in the Northwestern United States.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

Is the Famicom connected directly to the TV?
    Egbert, I miss you...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

Is the Famicom connected directly to the TV?
    Egbert, I miss you...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yes

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yes

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

Hmm... ok, then i don't know anything past that.
    Egbert, I miss you...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

Hmm... ok, then i don't know anything past that.
    Egbert, I miss you...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

A while back I heard that somebody was having trouble with their SNES on a Sony HDTV, image distortion again. It was at this forum...quite a long time ago, I think. I have no idea if that's terribly relevant, but it's at least topical.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

A while back I heard that somebody was having trouble with their SNES on a Sony HDTV, image distortion again. It was at this forum...quite a long time ago, I think. I have no idea if that's terribly relevant, but it's at least topical.

Apple (Level 5) Lord Contaminous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you got the original red and white Famicom system, you're out of luck guy.

From what I read, Japan's format back then was way more different than the US. On a US TV it would get a wierd signal like you would get sound on one channel, and picture on another. I don't know about the advanced TV or anything, but have you heard of the "Famicom A/V system Jr?" It's the Japanese equivalent of the redesigned top-loader NES and you can use SNES AV cables in it.

You can get it at www.gamechoiceclub.com for I think it was 90 dollars.
    Just be prepared to spend a shitload of money, since this is on the other side of the globe.

Apple (Level 5) Lord Contaminous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you got the original red and white Famicom system, you're out of luck guy.

From what I read, Japan's format back then was way more different than the US. On a US TV it would get a wierd signal like you would get sound on one channel, and picture on another. I don't know about the advanced TV or anything, but have you heard of the "Famicom A/V system Jr?" It's the Japanese equivalent of the redesigned top-loader NES and you can use SNES AV cables in it.

You can get it at www.gamechoiceclub.com for I think it was 90 dollars.
    Just be prepared to spend a shitload of money, since this is on the other side of the globe.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't get this system to play games, i got this system for my collection...I play my fmicom and famicom disk games on my Famicom Twin, the Famicom and DIsk System I have are merely for display, and eventually will be hooked up to a tv to play (5 years down the road) but if it won't work on an american TV, I'm screwed.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't get this system to play games, i got this system for my collection...I play my fmicom and famicom disk games on my Famicom Twin, the Famicom and DIsk System I have are merely for display, and eventually will be hooked up to a tv to play (5 years down the road) but if it won't work on an american TV, I'm screwed.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With the famicom on, do an auto channel search on your TV and see if it can find a channel that your Famicom's picture can appear on. If this fails, supposedly the system can be modified quite easily to add AV outputs.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tried the channel search method...didn't work...