Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gamecube at Walmart for $79.44 1 day only!!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Gamecube at Walmart for $79.44 1 day only!!

I am sure this was mentioned already. If so, I can't find it and it bears repeating. Walmart is selling the gamecube with the zelda bonus disc for $79.44 on Friday from 6 a.m. to 11 a.m.
    I can't really stand shopping, especially this Friday, but I might have to go and grab on at that price.
    Anybody work at Walmart or know if this is limited to stock on hand?? Also, is this at all Walmart stores or just regional???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It was in the circulars here in PA. The ad also states "no rainchecks," so get there early. - Jeff D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd rather pay the extra $20 than deal with the people that would actually get up early on the day after Thanksgiving to go shop at Wal-Mart.

/bad retail flashbacks

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been at Walmart the last two Black Fridays to buy up their cheap TVs (you can never have enough televisions in the house ), and I can honestly say that its not too bad. Most people are going nuts in the toy and clothes sections, or scrounging through the DVDs. I found success ducking through the food section (nobody is in there!!) and getting to the electronics that way. If you get there by 6:30, chances are that the Cubes will be gone though. I imagine that with the lower prices, a lot of console-less kids have their sights set on a Cube this Christmas!

BTW--20 inch flatscreen TVs are 95.00. Crappy brand, but they work fine. Time for a telly in the bathroom methinks! Not as good as their 27 inch for $100 last year though.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was looking at this on Wal-Mart's site (already have a 'Cube, just curious about the deal) about five minutes ago and added it to my cart to see how much shipping would be. I just went back to the page, and it's now "out of stock".

So it was an online thing too, but not any more!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I got one. Well, *I* didn't, but when I woke up this morning my wife had already made the Wal-Mart rounds and picked one up for me. God bless that woman.

BTW, there are 3 Wal-Marts within 15 minutes of me. Two are those super megacenters. Wife went to one and said it was a nightmare. The third is one of the old Wal-Marts, in an older suburb. Just to give you an idea, she said the super Wal-Mart here was out of GameCubes, and the one in the suburb had a pallatte out with at least 40 or 50 on it.

That's the same place we went to when we needed Tickle-Me-Elmos one year, and Furbies another year.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I made my rounds, but I cut walmart out of the deal. we'll just say i bought a large amount of cubes at toys r us last week.....dumped them on ebay, dumped the discs on ebay. and even bought a new one for myself and kept the disc. and i went into toys r us this morning and the lady handed me $180 so i came out a couple hundred ahead. still can't decide if it was worth all the running around but i had fun and made a couple bucks. yes at the cost of a lot of peoples ignorance....

but, I was really suprised that TRU honored it. the lady at the service desk said, "yes, we can do it. But we don't have that little case." would have been nice to have the case as well, but.....i figured that would be the factor cutting me out of the deal and I should think that's the reason walmart did it that way, to cut some people out of the loop. o well.....

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

wait, im confused, how did you get 180.00 from Toys R Us?

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He got TRU to price match Wal-Mart for the Cubes he had already bought.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My wife got up at 4:30 this morning and went to Walmart and got me a Gamecube for $79.44!!! She also got a lot of other X-mas presents for our nieces and nephews--she is the best!! I now have myself a brand new Gamecube!!! :P
    DC--- It's STILL thinking....!!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh come ON, people. Wal-Mart's prices will only be better than everyone else's until they've run their competitors out of business, and let's not kid ourselves here... that's exactly what they plan to do. Is it really worth helping Wal-Mart establish a retail monopoly just to save $25 on a GameCube? If saving money is that important to you, just buy a Cube from your local pawn shop.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ManekiNeko
    Oh come ON, people. Wal-Mart's prices will only be better than everyone else's until they've run their competitors out of business, and let's not kid ourselves here... that's exactly what they plan to do. Is it really worth helping Wal-Mart establish a retail monopoly just to save $25 on a GameCube? If saving money is that important to you, just buy a Cube from your local pawn shop.

JR
    Once again x_x

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dude, it's Wal-Mart. WAL-MART. They've already put other retail stores out of business with their exclusive prices and sleazy business practices, and many more will follow if they have their way.
    Roll your eyes all you want, but you know it's true.

JR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In the words of Homer : " I said WOO HOO "
    or in this case " I said x_x "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dude, it's Wal-Mart. WAL-MART. They've already put other retail stores out of business with their exclusive prices and sleazy business practices, and many more will follow if they have their way.

JR
    Yea it's called a free enterprise . If others don't want to go out of business then lower their prices , offer better and more items, and advertise more.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Whatever. There will ALWAYS be other shops and companies around, and I'm not that worried about it. I'm content to shop around, to hit used stores and look online to prive match. Besides, it's ONLY $20 cheaper and I'm sure they all sold out quite fast this morning.

I told someone at work about this, and I work night audit with her tonight -- wonder if she got it.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonjandran

JR
    Yea it's called a free enterprise . If others don't want to go out of business then lower their prices , offer better and more items, and advertise more.
    I would be inclined to agree IF Wal-Mart and other retail stores were on a level playing field. However, they're not, as this article from the Motley Fool's Jeff Hwang clearly demonstrates:

"In the Oct. 6 issue of Business Week, Anthony Bianco and Wendy Zellner discuss a growing concern: "Is Wal-Mart Too Powerful?" The article leaves me with another concern.

Wal-Mart (NYSE: WMT) is known for passing on its low-cost advantages to the customer. For example, the article points to a UBS Warburg report suggesting that food prices are 14% lower in markets where Wal-Mart competes. But as the authors note, there are several overwhelming negatives.

For one, the company has dominated its suppliers. Wal-Mart, which owns a hefty 30% of the U.S. consumer staples market and 15% to 20% of all music and video sales, plays a role in determining what gets sold. For example, the company has forced record companies to produce clean versions of explicit-label CDs or risk losing out on sales. And based on the complaints of a few customers, modern male magazines such as Maxim, Stuff, and FHM have been removed from store shelves.

And if you think that's a problem, Wal-Mart accounts for 28% of Dial's (NYSE: DL) sales, 24% of Del Monte Foods' (NYSE: DLM) sales, and 23% of Clorox's (NYSE: CLX) sales. If Wal-Mart has too much power over these companies now, what will happen when Wal-Mart's share hits 50% at the end of this decade?

Among other negatives, the article points to the fact that Wal-Mart employees earn 20% less than those at unionized supermarkets. In addition, Wal-Mart's entry into new markets has forced the closure of existing stores: According to Business Week, "for every Wal-Mart supercenter that opens in the next five years, two other supermarkets will close." And this is done without creating new jobs.

Which brings me to my new concern: the possibility of monopoly pricing.

According to a Retail Forward report cited in the article, 30 supermarkets have "closed since Wal-Mart saturated Oklahoma City." Think about this: Wal-Mart is successful because it can offer lower prices than anybody else. But what if nobody else exists to compete?

In business classes, you hear stories of the unacceptable practice of predatory pricing -- financially stable companies pricing at a loss until weaker competitors exit the marketplace. Today, the accepted business practice is to actually create value. Wal-Mart and Southwest Airlines (NYSE: LUV), for example, can offer lower prices because of operating efficiency. As capacity is removed from an industry, pricing power is created.

Wal-Mart today is saving money for consumers everywhere. But 10 to 20 years from now, are we going to want a Wal-Mart with pricing power?"

If this is the kind of behavior you want to support, by all means run down to your local Wal-Mart and pick up that cheap GameCube. Just remember that those prices won't be so hot when Wal-Mart is the only game in town.

JR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's all just blah blah blah.
    If a company doesn't like Wal-marts demands they don't have to give in to them. example the clean dvd's.
    And saying that Wal-Mart put the other companies out of business is speculation. Except maybe K-mart.
    And the what-if in 10-20 years. Good lord it's probably like the game industry , the whole Atrai then Nintendo , now Sony thing. Some other company will probably come and put Wal-Mart out of business just like Wal-Mart did to K-Mart. Who would have thought that would have happened ?

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Hey, you may be right about Wal-Mart -- I'm not passing judgement on any of that, and I really don't want this thread to go off topic and end up in Battlezone -- but it still leaves me back to my original question. Sales like the one that Wal-Mart did today with the GameCube are VERY common on Black Friday. I'm also aware of HD's being discounted at Best Buy, game sales going on at GameStop, and TV's on sale at my local Target. How are any of THOSE sales different from the one here? If someone wants to take advantage of a sale and save $20 on a GameCube at Wal-Mart, how is that any different if they save the same ammount of money at the sales mentioned above also on the same day?
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    Hey, you may be right about Wal-Mart -- I'm not passing judgement on any of that, and I really don't want this thread to go off topic and end up in Battlezone -- but it still leaves me back to my original question. Sales like the one that Wal-Mart did today with the GameCube are VERY common on Black Friday. I'm also aware of HD's being discounted at Best Buy, game sales going on at GameStop, and TV's on sale at my local Target. How are any of THOSE sales different from the one here? If someone wants to take advantage of a sale and save $20 on a GameCube at Wal-Mart, how is that any different if they save the same ammount of money at the sales mentioned above also on the same day?
    Exactly!! Here I am excited about getting a Gamecube, and saving a few bucks doing it, and I get chastised for it!! I merely wanted to add to the thread, and in turn get attacked for "supporting the evil walmart empire that is gonna take over the planet"!!!! Some people around here are so ridiculous!! It's sad really....laughable, but sad!
    DC--- It's STILL thinking....!!