Thread: Sega Saturn import game help needed!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega Saturn import game help needed!

Ok, so I just got an X-Men vs. Street Fighter through a trade and I'm trying to play the game on my U.S. Satrun. I have a cartridge that supposedly plays imports and acts as a 4 meg expansion. Now, I know absolutely nothing about Saturns, so maybe someone here knows what the problem is. The only other import game I have is Race Drivin', which wouldn't load up before I got the import cartridge. I think it said "disc read error" or some other such message at the main Saturn menu (where all the CD player commands are) after the game wouldn't load up. When I got the cartridge, I fiddled around with it for a little while and then it read the game no problem.

Now, when I tried to play X-Men vs. Street Fighter, it said "Game Disc unsuitable for this system." As far as I can recall, this is not the same message I received when trying to load up Race Drivin ---- I don't think the system even recognized it as a game disc. So the Saturn knows I'm trying to load up a game disc, but it's "unsuitable." Hmmm. So I flicked the switch on the cartridge to the other side (I'm not sure exactly what this switch does, but there are two different settings). Same result. Reset, powered off and on, opened the CD tray while at the main menu so the disc would be loaded up again. Same result: the game disc is unsuitable. I tried putting in the regular 4 meg cart that came with the game, same result. So I put the import cart back in and put in Race Drivin just to see if that game would load up ---- it loads up fine. Here's the strange part: after messing around with the Saturn some more, I try to load up Race Drivin without any cartridge in the slot; to my surprise, it loads up fine. So, now Race Drivin will load up fine with NO cartridge in the slot, is that strange or is that how these things act???? No matter what, I always get the "game disc unsuitable" message when I try to load up X-Men vs. Street Fighter though.

Anyone have any idea what the problem may be? Have you ever encountered any message like this before? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I really want to play this game!
    "Everything that you've ever done, are doing now, or will ever do is a complete waste of time unless it directly involves Randy 'Macho Man' Savage." - random Amazon.com review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Sega Saturn import game help needed!

Quote Originally Posted by jerkov
    Ok, so I just got an X-Men vs. Street Fighter through a trade and I'm trying to play the game on my U.S. Satrun. I have a cartridge that supposedly plays imports and acts as a 4 meg expansion. Now, I know absolutely nothing about Saturns, so maybe someone here knows what the problem is. The only other import game I have is Race Drivin', which wouldn't load up before I got the import cartridge. I think it said "disc read error" or some other such message at the main Saturn menu (where all the CD player commands are) after the game wouldn't load up. When I got the cartridge, I fiddled around with it for a little while and then it read the game no problem.

Now, when I tried to play X-Men vs. Street Fighter, it said "Game Disc unsuitable for this system." As far as I can recall, this is not the same message I received when trying to load up Race Drivin ---- I don't think the system even recognized it as a game disc. So the Saturn knows I'm trying to load up a game disc, but it's "unsuitable." Hmmm. So I flicked the switch on the cartridge to the other side (I'm not sure exactly what this switch does, but there are two different settings). Same result. Reset, powered off and on, opened the CD tray while at the main menu so the disc would be loaded up again. Same result: the game disc is unsuitable. I tried putting in the regular 4 meg cart that came with the game, same result. So I put the import cart back in and put in Race Drivin just to see if that game would load up ---- it loads up fine. Here's the strange part: after messing around with the Saturn some more, I try to load up Race Drivin without any cartridge in the slot; to my surprise, it loads up fine. So, now Race Drivin will load up fine with NO cartridge in the slot, is that strange or is that how these things act???? No matter what, I always get the "game disc unsuitable" message when I try to load up X-Men vs. Street Fighter though.

Anyone have any idea what the problem may be? Have you ever encountered any message like this before? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I really want to play this game!
    Ok, first thing. When you use those types of carts, you put them in with the system off and put the disc in and turn on. If you just open the lid and replace the game it should not work and you'll get the "not suitable" message. You need to boot from the carts menu screen... at least with the carts I sell that is.

That switch may be for changing between 1M and 4M of RamThe cart that came with the game will not make it play on the wrong regions system, it's just Ram.

As far as the game working without the cart. Who knows how that happened... must be FM!

That might be one of the games that doesn't work with third party Ram carts. I'll have to check on that for you.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, first thing. When you use those types of carts, you put them in with the system off and put the disc in and turn on. If you just open the lid and replace the game it should not work and you'll get the "not suitable" message. You need to boot from the carts menu screen... at least with the carts I sell that is.

That switch may be for changing between 1M and 4M of RamThe cart that came with the game will not make it play on the wrong regions system, it's just Ram.

As far as the game working without the cart. Who knows how that happened... must be FM!

That might be one of the games that doesn't work with third party Ram carts. I'll have to check on that for you.
    Well, I actually just leave the import cart in the system all the time. So when I first tried to load the game, I guess I did it right....However, I went back took everything out, put the cart in, then the game, and then switched the system on. Still get the game disc unsuitable message. I know that the 4 meg cart that came with the game won't play imports, but I just tried for the hell of it.....I'm just trying anything to get it to work.

If you could check to see if the game won't work with third party Ram, that'd be awesome. At least I know what the problem is.

One more thing.....when you said that the reason Race Drivin works without the cart "must be FM!", what did you mean by that? In any case, I find it highly strange that the Saturn doesn't need the import cart any longer to play this import game......
    "Everything that you've ever done, are doing now, or will ever do is a complete waste of time unless it directly involves Randy 'Macho Man' Savage." - random Amazon.com review

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also, the cart itself does not have any menu that loads up as far as I know.....

I find it somewhat humorous that if X-Men vs. Street Fighter won't work with a third party RAM cart, why did whoever make my RAM/import cart choose to use all of the X-Men vs. Street Fighter characters on the sticker on the front of the cart?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No one else has any idea on how I can get this game to work?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jerkov
    If you could check to see if the game won't work with third party Ram, that'd be awesome. At least I know what the problem is.

One more thing.....when you said that the reason Race Drivin works without the cart "must be FM!", what did you mean by that? In any case, I find it highly strange that the Saturn doesn't need the import cart any longer to play this import game......
    I have not had a chance to check yet, but will try tomorrow.

FM = Fucking Magic. I am just a puzzled about that as you are.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe Race Drivin' has a region code for all regions?

It could also be that the cart is flaky, you may need to reseat it a few times...

Or it could be that the cart slot is flaky, did you buy a used Saturn? AFAIK the cart slots were not built for regular duty and get worn out pretty quickly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

That use to happen to me when I tried to play Marvel vs. Street fighter. I just keep reseating the cart and try again. By the way, I have a 3rd party cart called "Ultra Madness 4m Turbo Key". It works after about a few try's. Seems those carts are iffy at times

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Try cleaning the cart contacts with a couple Q-Tips and rubbing alcohol. Recently, I got that same disc read error on my US copies of Shining Force 3 and Shining Wisdom when I tried to play them in my Jp Saturn with an ST-Key. Doesn't work. Maybe your region is set wrong for whatever stuff you're using?

It also could be that your Saturn needs cleaning. I found out mine does
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."