Thread: xbox questions(technical)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default xbox questions(technical)

does anybody know if it would be possible to make a NES to XBox convertor for the controller? or possibly take a controller extension and just open up the NES controller and run the wires?

Maybe it's something that could be hooked up after the xbox is all loaded up and maybe you couldn't go through all the menu's and stuff with it. But i think it would be awesome. Anybody with the technical expertise.....please come forward now

Thanks in advance!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, it could be done, but you'd need a donor xbox controller... when you hit buttons on the xbox controller, it grounds out a pin on a chip which encodes it in it's own format (USB compatible IIRC). The NES also does the same thing, but in it's own NES format, so they definately wouldn't be compatible. I've done a lot of mods to the Nintendo controllers, and it wouldn't be that tough, although I've never been inside my xbox controllers, so I dunno what the chips inside of there are like. All you'd have to do is take an xbox chip, decide which button you want the NES buttons to be connected to, then connect the wires.

I do also remember seeing an NES replica PS2 controller (shaped like NES, but had all the PS2 buttons), and you could get an adapter for that to xbox, but that's not really the same thing :P .

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, it could be done, but you'd need a donor xbox controller... when you hit buttons on the xbox controller, it grounds out a pin on a chip which encodes it in it's own format (USB compatible IIRC). The NES also does the same thing, but in it's own NES format, so they definately wouldn't be compatible. I've done a lot of mods to the Nintendo controllers, and it wouldn't be that tough, although I've never been inside my xbox controllers, so I dunno what the chips inside of there are like. All you'd have to do is take an xbox chip, decide which button you want the NES buttons to be connected to, then connect the wires.

I do also remember seeing an NES replica PS2 controller (shaped like NES, but had all the PS2 buttons), and you could get an adapter for that to xbox, but that's not really the same thing :P .

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DogP
    Ah yes, the retrocon, which might actually be your best bet. If you DO decide to go through with building you own, the pinouts and projects at www.gamesx.com might give you a step in the right direction.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i looked at the retrocon, and while it looks cool and looks to fit the bill. I dunno, if you're much of an NES person and you try to emulate the games. It's just not quite the same, you know which button does which for each game. I really don't even know which button is A and which is B, I just know which one to hit.....and it's not knowledge you can speak, it's just there. But when you emulate it.....yack yack yack. I'm sure you get the point. I will look into it, it's probably really easy but I will drag my feet forever. What DogP is saying makes sense, and the site you posted about(WSM) looks to be a good site but it's just confusing me right now i'm off to bed, i'll bake my noodle tomorrow